Default So what exactly ARE repulsor rays?

And what do they repulse?

Extraordinary Member
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    ^^^Interesting, thanks.

That would def. let Tony do some “fightin' and smitin'” yeah.

And what do they repulse?
    Unwanted family members who don't get the hint when they get fruitcake every christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Unwanted family members who don't get the hint when they get fruitcake every christmas.
    ^^^I hear that.

Originally they were concentrated magnetism. For a long time, Iron Man was basically a techno version of Polaris. So he'd levitate things with magnetism, magnetism hardened and animated his armor, and he'd repulse things with magnetism.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Originally they were concentrated magnetism. For a long time, Iron Man was basically a techno version of Polaris. So he'd levitate things with magnetism, magnetism hardened and animated his armor, and he'd repulse things with magnetism.
    ^^^Neat!
    I barely remember reading those old Iron Man books as a kid, but was hoping someone else did!

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Come to think of it, didn't he once try to build "repulsor tech"-powered vehicles that would have basically operated on magnetic levitation and propulsion, aiming toward mass production?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Even though it says he didn’t have repulsors until the MK III armor he did repel Thor’s hammer in Avengers #2 with his bulky MK II armor using reverse magnetism. He also had air jet stream disks he attached to his gauntlets as accessories. Back when he had all these cool gadgets he would have stashed away in his compartment.
    Last edited by Dreaded Porcupine; 02-06-2024 at 04:17 AM.

Ultimate Member

These days, they seem to still operate similarly, but affect all matter, perhaps by 'pushing' against the interatomic energies that bind all matter together? That sort of tech would also logically lead to disintegrators, like he used in one of his early stories (trying to sell the Army on a flashlight looking disintegrator that disintegrated *a tank* in a demonstration!)

I know it's from the '80s, but I'll always remember this scene from OG DoomQuest (XD)
    "Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."