Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Marvel's take on JL Gods and Monsters

JL Gods and Monsters is a reinvention of DC's characters that takes the name and throw everything else out. So with Marvel's take I wanted to go a little further.

Here are some early ideas I had-

-Hulk is a young man whose cursed to transform into monster because of something his grandfather did.

-Ant-man is a mutated ant that became an ant-human hybrid by experiments from the High Evolutionary.

-Vision is a mutant that could see the future.

-Goliath is a giant who protects the humans he befriended and their descendants.

-Iron Fist is an Inhuman with the ability to transform their body into different metals.

What are your ideas?

I like the movie, but one strong element that stands out for me is the fact that two villains, Zod and Man-Bat, are that universe's Superman and Batman. And Bekka from the New Gods is Wonder Woman. So to me, it's not so much that they are a redeveloped trinity, they are existing DC characters reinvented as the trinity.

So in keeping with that, I would have something like this:

Morlun / Spider-Man
    Born into a family of Totem Hunters, what would Morlun be like if he himself were Spider-powered? At odds with his destiny and his family, he has become what he was sworn to destroy, but can he defy his upbringing to actually become a hero?
    Norman Osborn / Spider-Man
    What would Norman Osborn be if instead of taking goblin serum, he was bitten by a radioactive spider? An older, morally ambiguous Spider-Man, with unlimited resources and money at his fingertips...

Morgan LeFay / Doctor Strange
    Morgan LeFay, with her Arthurian history, and immensely powerful magic affinity, could be an excellent candidate for an alternate Dr Strange, or Sorcerer Supreme, since her surname isn't Strange, lol.

Cybele / Captain Marvel
    In the way that Wonder Woman in G&M was the New God Bekka, maybe Captain Marvel should be an Eternal. They both have energy wielding powers and Cybele has a long history among the Eternals that could have an interesting twist if she were fighting among Earth's mightiest.

Namor / Mister Fantastic
    Doom feels too obvious. Namor may not have the scientific know-how, but he is fantastic...
    Daimon Helstrom / Human Torch
    Maybe a bit of a stretch, but it could be a neat flip on what the "torch" means, sure he can't light his whole body on fire in the way Johnny Storm can, but he can certainly "light the way" so to speak...
    Ted Sallis / The Thing
    Right?
    Cipher / Invisible Woman
    Who could be part of a new Fantastic Four without changing anyone's codenames? I like Cipher's version of invisibility powers, I think she'd be a great fit in a reimagined FF.

Those are just some that come to mind right now
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    I like the movie, but one strong element that stands out for me is the fact that two villains, Zod and Man-Bat, are that universe's Superman and Batman. And Bekka from the New Gods is Wonder Woman. So to me, it's not so much that they are a redeveloped trinity, they are existing DC characters reinvented as the trinity.

So in keeping with that, I would have something like this:

Morlun / Spider-Man
    Born into a family of Totem Hunters, what would Morlun be like if he himself were Spider-powered? At odds with his destiny and his family, he has become what he was sworn to destroy, but can he defy his upbringing to actually become a hero?
    Norman Osborn / Spider-Man
    What would Norman Osborn be if instead of taking goblin serum, he was bitten by a radioactive spider? An older, morally ambiguous Spider-Man, with unlimited resources and money at his fingertips...

Morgan LeFay / Doctor Strange
    Morgan LeFay, with her Arthurian history, and immensely powerful magic affinity, could be an excellent candidate for an alternate Dr Strange, or Sorcerer Supreme, since her surname isn't Strange, lol.

Cybele / Captain Marvel
    In the way that Wonder Woman in G&M was the New God Bekka, maybe Captain Marvel should be an Eternal. They both have energy wielding powers and Cybele has a long history among the Eternals that could have an interesting twist if she were fighting among Earth's mightiest.

Namor / Mister Fantastic
    Doom feels too obvious. Namor may not have the scientific know-how, but he is fantastic...
    Daimon Helstrom / Human Torch
    Maybe a bit of a stretch, but it could be a neat flip on what the "torch" means, sure he can't light his whole body on fire in the way Johnny Storm can, but he can certainly "light the way" so to speak...
    Ted Sallis / The Thing
    Right?
    Cipher / Invisible Woman
    Who could be part of a new Fantastic Four without changing anyone's codenames? I like Cipher's version of invisibility powers, I think she'd be a great fit in a reimagined FF.

Those are just some that come to mind right now
    It's a valid approach. I had a hard time with Cap and Iron Man so I might do that myself.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-05-2024 at 05:42 PM.

Gods & Monsters it was not just a darker version of DC trinity: the characters still were heroic and still had keep elements of their core the same, even if their were other characters:

Superman still was the last (Zod's) son of Krypton adopted by a couple of (illegal immigrant) farmers.
    Batman was a "creature of the night" (a vampire) inspired in bats.
    Wonder Woman was the warrior with a mythological background (New Gods intead Greek pantheon.)

Also, I would set it origins in a cold war background.

Spider-Man: I would take Curt Connors who makes the experiment with a spider instead a lizard. And here, Gwen stilll dies.

Iron-Man: Crimson Dynamo who desertes the USSR after stealing the armor from his bosses.

Captain Marvel: The spy who came to earth and possed as Walter Lawson it wasn't a Kree, it was an skrull.

Hulk: The one exposed to the gamma bomb isn't other than Glenn Talbot, and he becomes the US Army secret weapon.

Thor: Ragnarok happened and only Magni, the son of Thor, survived. He takes his father name as nom de guerre on his exile on earth. If the land of the gods can die, so does the land of men and MagniThor would do anything to prevent that to ever happen.

Fantastic Four: Using magic instead of science, the ship of the four received strange radiation (not cosmic rays) and transformed them in fantastic, hellish ways. Dr. Bentley Wittman, Sharon Ventura, Frankie Raye and Scott Lang saw their lives changed forever. Because that it was an accident and not part of some mysterious ritual or a pact withj some devil, right?
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 02-06-2024 at 01:24 PM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Gods & Monsters it was not just a darker version of DC trinity: the characters still were heroic and still had keep elements of their core the same, even if their were other characters:

Superman still was the last (Zod's) son of Krypton adopted by a couple of (illegal immigrant) farmers.
    Batman was a "creature of the night" (a vampire) inspired in bats.
    Wonder Woman was the warrior with a mythological background (New Gods intead Greek pantheon.)

Also, I would set it origins in a cold war background.

Spider-Man: I would take Curt Connors who makes the experiment with a spider instead a lizard. And here, Gwen stilll dies.

Iron-Man: Crimson Dynamo who desertes the USSR after stealing the armor from his bosses.

Captain Marvel: The spy who came to earth and possed as Walter Lawson it wasn't a Kree, it was an skrull.

Hulk: The one exposed to the gamma bomb isn't other than Glenn Talbot, and he becomes the US Army secret weapon.

Thor: Ragnarok happened and only Magni, the son of Thor, survived. He takes his father name as nom de guerre on his exile on earth. If the land of the gods can die, so does the land of men and MagniThor would do anything to prevent that to ever happen.

Fantastic Four: Using magic instead of science, the ship of the four received strange radiation (not cosmic rays) and transformed them in fantastic, hellish ways. Dr. Bentley Wittman, Sharon Ventura, Frankie Raye and Scott Lang saw their lives changed forever. Because that it was an accident and not part of some mysterious ritual or a pact withj some devil, right?
    Would Modi be Magni's loki equivalent?

How does this FF compare to the originals?
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-06-2024 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Would Modi be Magni's loki equivalent?
    Nah, I like more the idea of Magni as the last son of Asgard. Maybe to oppose him another being would be interesting, to not to repeat the "your brother is your enemy" dynamic. Maybe the survivor of other pantheon, also destroyed by the Ragnarok wave? Or one of the Eternals? Or a human prettending to be a god?

How does this FF compare to the originals?
    Well, the OGFF accident happened because Reed Richards was impatient and didn't prepared good enough to the travel. And then he had to accept than his defect and haste caused his family and friends to suffer strange mutations. In this version, Bentley isn't as smart as Reed but also is impatient and he does a deal with a mysterious benefactor who tricks him in using magic diguised as science to make his experimental ship to travel. But as he see later the horrible consequence in his teammates, Bentley also is charged with the guilt the transformation is his fault, because he was using a knowledge he didn't understand totally.
    And who was this mysterious benefactor? well, it was someone far more intelligent than Bentley and the Supreme Sorceror of this universe: Dr. Victor Von Doom. Why he caused such dramatic mutilation of Bentley's crew? Because he was foretold byu his divinations than that team of four are needed to save the world. Yes, this Doctor Doom is far more heroic than his main analog, but still his methods are far more harsh.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Nah, I like more the idea of Magni as the last son of Asgard. Maybe to oppose him another being would be interesting, to not to repeat the "your brother is your enemy" dynamic. Maybe the survivor of other pantheon, also destroyed by the Ragnarok wave? Or one of the Eternals? Or a human prettending to be a god?

Well, the OGFF accident happened because Reed Richards was impatient and didn't prepared good enough to the travel. And then he had to accept than his defect and haste caused his family and friends to suffer strange mutations. In this version, Bentley isn't as smart as Reed but also is impatient and he does a deal with a mysterious benefactor who tricks him in using magic diguised as science to make his experimental ship to travel. But as he see later the horrible consequence in his teammates, Bentley also is charged with the guilt the transformation is his fault, because he was using a knowledge he didn't understand totally.
    And who was this mysterious benefactor? well, it was someone far more intelligent than Bentley and the Supreme Sorceror of this universe: Dr. Victor Von Doom. Why he caused such dramatic mutilation of Bentley's crew? Because he was foretold byu his divinations than that team of four are needed to save the world. Yes, this Doctor Doom is far more heroic than his main analog, but still his methods are far more harsh.
    OK. All three of those choices work for Magni.

Are the other members close to Bently before the flight or strangers?

Are the other members close to Bently before the flight or strangers?
    The Wizard always was changing his Frightful Four line up, so he never was too attached to people, so is logial to think than they would start as strangers. People who simple he hired to do a job, they being ignorant of what that job really was. And later, well, Wittman simply added the guilt and the feeling of failure related to the incident.
    they still are enemies off Dr. Doom but Doom is samrt enough to deceive them and pose as an enemy, meanwhile manipulates them to do actions to save the world. Think of his role similar to the one of Lex Luthor in the JL: G&M movie.

For the Big three I'd probably replace Thor with Horus and explore what happened if there was a platoon of Super Soldiers during WW2 lead by Protocide instead of Steve.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Clint...re_(Earth-616)

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Machine_Man?so=search

For Iron Man, I wanted to use Machine Man and tie him to Japan. He started out as a deterrent against American Super Soldiers but defected and became the first robot citizen of the UN.

The Wizard always was changing his Frightful Four line up, so he never was too attached to people, so is logial to think than they would start as strangers. People who simple he hired to do a job, they being ignorant of what that job really was. And later, well, Wittman simply added the guilt and the feeling of failure related to the incident.
    they still are enemies off Dr. Doom but Doom is samrt enough to deceive them and pose as an enemy, meanwhile manipulates them to do actions to save the world. Think of his role similar to the one of Lex Luthor in the JL: G&M movie.
    Would Doom still run Latveria? Would he be deceiving the latverian civilians?
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-07-2024 at 04:49 PM.

For the Big three I'd probably replace Thor with Horus and explore what happened if there was a platoon of Super Soldiers during WW2 lead by Protocide instead of Steve.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Clint...re_(Earth-616)

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Machine_Man?so=search

For Iron Man, I wanted to use Machine Man and tie him to Japan. He started out as a deterrent against American Super Soldiers but defected and became the first robot citizen of the UN.
    Good ideas on the Machine Man and Protocide as alternatives. I only would add than after year the other supersoldiers die fordifferent reasons but the original one stays young and in active duty.

About Horus replacing Thor... Well I got a problem with the idea of other deity replacing Thor. It wouldn't be "Thor", he would be "Horus". The name of the character would be different and even if the story would be parallel to Marvel's Thor, still would be Horus. And he wouldn't use the name, something I would prefer to keep. I mean, why would a aegyptian deity use the name of a scandinavian god? It is my personal take.

Would Doom still run Latveria? Would he be deceiving the latverian civilians?
    I would make Latveria haunted country. Nobody lives in the barren land, destroyed in the last big war. Latverians left the country decades ago, maybe some wanderers and scavengers still roam from time to time, but is little of interest to see. Some ghosts towns and castles and in the middle of the country, a big castle with strange lights coming from their interior. Other says than demons and monsters of other realities live in that cursed land. Latveria is a no man's land than nobody wants, but already have one solitaire owner.

Spider-Man and Wasp would focus on the conflict between the Spider-society and the Brotherhood of Wasps. Those two characters would represent those factions and be rivals.

Good ideas on the Machine Man and Protocide as alternatives. I only would add than after year the other supersoldiers die fordifferent reasons but the original one stays young and in active duty.

About Horus replacing Thor... Well I got a problem with the idea of other deity replacing Thor. It wouldn't be "Thor", he would be "Horus". The name of the character would be different and even if the story would be parallel to Marvel's Thor, still would be Horus. And he wouldn't use the name, something I would prefer to keep. I mean, why would a aegyptian deity use the name of a scandinavian god? It is my personal take.

I would make Latveria haunted country. Nobody lives in the barren land, destroyed in the last big war. Latverians left the country decades ago, maybe some wanderers and scavengers still roam from time to time, but is little of interest to see. Some ghosts towns and castles and in the middle of the country, a big castle with strange lights coming from their interior. Other says than demons and monsters of other realities live in that cursed land. Latveria is a no man's land than nobody wants, but already have one solitaire owner.
    I understand your take on Thor. I just didn't think there was a way of replacing him beyond family or an imposter so I thought of using another God as a third option.

Since Thor and Hercules are names rather than mantles, I was fine with avoiding them entirely.

I'm 50/50 on your Protocide suggestion. I rather keep some of them alive after ww2.

Having Doom be the only survivor if Latveria works as a take.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-08-2024 at 09:06 AM.

Spider-Man and Wasp would focus on the conflict between the Spider-society and the Brotherhood of Wasps. Those two characters would represent those factions and be rivals.
    Intereesting take.

I understand your take on Thor. I just didn't think there was a way of replacing him beyond family or an imposter so I thought of using another God as a third option.

Since Thor and Hercules are names rather than mantles, I was fine with avoiding them entirely.

I'm 50/50 on your Protocide suggestion. I rather keep some of them alive after ww2.

Having Doom be the only survivor if Latveria works as a take.
    About Thor, it is a good argument. However I rhink the idea is to keep the heroic names but change the identity. It could be donw the same as with G&M Superman and change something in his origin to make hom different. Maybe he never was exiled to earth or make Blake the real human Blake who becomes the possesor of Thor with the mind of Blake. Dunno..

Intereesting take.

About Thor, it is a good argument. However I rhink the idea is to keep the heroic names but change the identity. It could be donw the same as with G&M Superman and change something in his origin to make hom different. Maybe he never was exiled to earth or make Blake the real human Blake who becomes the possesor of Thor with the mind of Blake. Dunno..
    Both characters are tied to a scifi origin so I just swapped it to a supernatural one. Their rivalry allows for a different kind of civil war amongst the heroes. It offers a different take on Spider-Man's motto and you could use it as a metaphor for political disagreement.

I've seen a mutant pretend to be Thor in a fan take on Marvel's future.

https://www.deviantart.com/heerog/ar...yond-854612492

Thor is tricky so it's up to each architect to decide how they wanna approach replacing him.

The God's and Monsters name is a framework not a barrier. I don't mind breaking the mold for a good take.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-17-2024 at 01:12 PM.

Both characters are tied to a scifi origin so I just swapped it to a supernatural one. Their rivalry allows for a different kind of civil war amongst the heroes. It offers a different take on Spider-Man's motto and you could use it as a metaphor for political disagreement.

I've seen a mutant pretend to be Thor in a fan take on Marvel's future.

https://www.deviantart.com/heerog/ar...yond-854612492
    That is a good takes. It could work in a similar G&M context.

Thor is tricky so it's up to each architect to decide how they wanna approach replacing him.

The God's and Monsters name is a framework not a barrier. I don't mind breaking the mold for a good take.
    I don't see it like a barrier but as a challenge. The framework must be bend but not break. Take the example of G&M Superman/Hernan Guerra: not the same character, it is different yet pretty similar.
    For Thor we could search for another angle: another exiled from his home, who had issues with his home country and find Mjolnir and hold the power of Thor? Erik Killmonger, maybe?

That is a good takes. It could work in a similar G&M context.

I don't see it like a barrier but as a challenge. The framework must be bend but not break. Take the example of G&M Superman/Hernan Guerra: not the same character, it is different yet pretty similar.
    For Thor we could search for another angle: another exiled from his home, who had issues with his home country and find Mjolnir and hold the power of Thor? Erik Killmonger, maybe?
    That idea works as we haven't seen Thor with an amoral host yet.

Rather than just God's and Monsters, I'm pulling more from Just imagine. So I rather keep the established characters to a smaller amount.

It feels fitting that the big three are existing characters with a twist.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-24-2024 at 09:16 AM.