Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default X-Men Unlimited #125 - Fall of X #5 - Review/Spoilers

The issue picks up exactly where we last saw Betsy, being interviewed in London by an anti-mutant talk show host. The host asks if Betsy thinks "radical mutant terrorism" is funny, if the danger facing hardworking British taxpayers and their families amuse her. Betsy stands up and says of course not, but she's no longer interested in "smiling politely while you rattle off lies about the camps the British government uses to imprison innocent people."

The host calls for security as Betsy walks off set, calling out to Shatterstar for pick up. A security officer stands in front of her, flanked by two of the Orchis Wolverine Sentinels. He's begins to tell her that by authorization of the British government and Orchis she's under arrest...

I screamed. She's in a great fighting stance, sword glowing with strands of TK energy. The Sentinels approach as she says she doesn't suppose they'll be dealt with easily. She's absolutely brilliant in fighting them, dodging them, blocking their hits. At one point she throws up a butterfly shield which I love. It appears she grabs one's foot with her TK, lifts it up and drives its own claws into the floor so it gets stuck. She slashes the back of the other in the meantime. These things are formidable though so they keep coming as she continues to block and dodge them. They don't touch her once.

Shatterstar's teleportation portal starts to open and his swords slice one of the Sentinels' head off. He's happy to join the fight but reminds her (and us) that he needs to recharge between jumps. They fight together until Shatterstar charges up...

and takes out both Sentinels. He's exhausted and weak though, unable to teleport. He leans on Betsy and she assists him as they walk out. They're hiding in an alley and it's an hour later. He says he's almost ready but Betsy says he's nothing of the sort, that she told Dani they've been stretching him too thin. Suddenly a fissure/split in the ground comes towards them as Rictor emerges from beneath. My boy!!! He says he's the only one that's supposed to be wearing Shatterstar out. They kiss, Betsy saying they're rubbing it in that Rachel is off saving the fabric of reality. Betsy asks Julio if he can tunnel them back to Braddock Manor as she's gone and made them new enemies. Again. Julio asks who and Shatty says the entire United Kingdom.

Back at the Manor (which we're reminded is on Braddock Isle) they're speaking to Dani and Thunderbird through Brian's computer video monitor.

Betsy: Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent.
    John: Lady, yer playin' my song.
    Dani: I don't know who we can spare right now, Betsy. We're on the back foot here in the States. Young mutants are disappearing by the day.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Betsy says the British government is just as complicit in the abduction of mutants as the States. They're watching the polls and pretending to tolerate her because of the symbol on her chest, but she refuses to be discussed to death. Shatterstar opens a portal along the library wall, he and Rictor about to enter. Betsy dons her helmet and says in politics there are times one's called to knock on some doors. "And the first door up is sure to get people's attention."

Next: Borstal Breakout!

Let's go!!

Good use of power.

Loved that she was finally fed up with UK media and that she gets to hang with Shatty and Ric.

My only nitpick is whichever Steve this was made her dialogue come off like she was talking too prim and proper but otherwise good showing. (Maybe its too early and I just have to read it again)

Like when you try too hard to sound Bri ish.

i really do despise that uniform Im realizing lol

dont take me too serious its early.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Frack me every which way from Sunday to Sunday!

Thank you Sibz!
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

So there are literally no good governments in the Marvel Universe when it comes to Mutants I guess (although Doom would probably tell you otherwise). The good old "National Superhero in a country that hates their ethnic identity."

At this point Betsy's only going to stick with being Captain Britain is out of spite or because of the dream, not the nation.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Good use of power.

Loved that she was finally fed up with UK media and that she gets to hang with Shatty and Ric.

My only nitpick is whichever Steve this was made her dialogue come off like she was talking too prim and proper but otherwise good showing. (Maybe its too early and I just have to read it again)

Like when you try too hard to sound Bri ish.

i really do despise that uniform Im realizing lol

dont take me too serious its early.
    Wake up boo! Much to celebrate.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Frack me every which way from Sunday to Sunday!

Thank you Sibz!
    My pleasure!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So there are literally no good governments in the Marvel Universe when it comes to Mutants I guess (although Doom would probably tell you otherwise). The good old "National Superhero in a country that hates their ethnic identity."

At this point Betsy's only going to stick with being Captain Britain is out of spite or because of the dream, not the nation.
    Interestingly England has a history of internment camps for mutants and super-powered beings. Betsy knows all too well as she was thrown into one (Meggan too) even before she knew the X-Men.

Phillip Sevy:

X-Men Unlimited 125 is OUT! Not only is @NickRoche KILLING it on art (with GORGEOUS colors by @nitro_yen) but I got to design Rictor's new look that debuted here. The Steves wanted a look that mixed his druid and punk aesthetics. And here's what I came up with! #xspoilers

I'm sooo happy Julio is back. He, Betsy, and Shattybuns working together again brings me much joy.

Ate and left no crumbs. Seriously I can’t wait for this all to tie together.

JB, I thought of you instantly when Julio showed up! I knew you were hoping he’d show up in the Captain Britain solo and his time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Ate and left no crumbs. Seriously I can’t wait for this all to tie together.

JB, I thought of you instantly when Julio showed up! I knew you were hoping he’d show up in the Captain Britain solo and his time has come!
    Aw thank you my friend! When I saw the green power signature I just knew. So cool that he burrowed them underground to get back to the mansion. Seeing him after an amazing butterfly-filled showing of Betsy in combat was joy overload.

I thanked Phillip Sevy for the work they've all been doing and he kindly replied with, "The team on this book - with the Steves leading the way - all the way down the chain is just firing on ALL cylinders. It's SO much fun to work on. Glad you're loving it!" I can feel how much fun they're having!

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Interestingly England has a history of internment camps for mutants and super-powered beings. Betsy knows all too well as she was thrown into one (Meggan too) even before she knew the X-Men.
    And people wonder why Betsy hangs out more in America...

Absolutely nailed it. Betsy's voice is incredibly authentic. It's hard not to reflect on how she's reliving the nightmares of the Jaspers Warp.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckystar. View Post
    Absolutely nailed it. Betsy's voice is incredibly authentic. It's hard not to reflect on how she's reliving the nightmares of the Jaspers Warp.
    Bingo, one of the scariest times of her life. Her powers were still developing then but now she's much more capable of making a stand. I know there's not a lot of space because it's Unlimited but I would love a moment between her and Tom considering he was killed during this time. Being alive now and seeing it happen again must be a lot for him.

Totally agree about her voice. This was just awesome.

I don’t understand how this isn’t a monthly printed book.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

JDW and Co. dropped several balls.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Im assuming these are the dropped plot points from the FoX arc of Captain Britain. Im surprised they nixed the title if they had this in the works. They could have just had TH and Foxe collab on it to get new readers excited and did like an interview with a more exciting artist. They could have made it work.