Default Who caused the Symbiote to escape the Baxter Building??

Finally saw the issue of Fantastic Four where a small drone type device floats into the facility where Reed was keeping the Alien Symbiote black costume, and drills or lasers a hole in the containment device allowing the Symbiote to escape. No explanation of who sent that device in, and why??

Any help? I read some things online but it just caused me to have more questions.

This is a lot more complicated that it would seem.

If you want the short version, it was Dr. Doom ... kind of... who just wanted to study it. If you want the long version ...

https://www.cbr.com/provide-some-ans...way-back-when/

Yeesh, yes more complicated.

I'm really surprised (and disappointed) that Byrne and DeFalco were "satisfied" with the explanation of how the probe got into the building and how it helped the symbiote escape. The whole "it did it by accident" is pretty lame if you ask me. NOT TO MENTION, what if Spidey fans were not FF readers. They'd miss those few panels with the same probe floating through space after the Baxter Building was destroyed, and also how would they come to the conclusion "oh hey thats the same probe that let the symbiote out, oh that must mean it was sent there by Kristoff and accidentally freed it!" Thats quite a stretch.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    I'm really surprised (and disappointed) that Byrne and DeFalco were "satisfied" with the explanation of how the probe got into the building and how it helped the symbiote escape. The whole "it did it by accident" is pretty lame if you ask me. NOT TO MENTION, what if Spidey fans were not FF readers. They'd miss those few panels with the same probe floating through space after the Baxter Building was destroyed, and also how would they come to the conclusion "oh hey thats the same probe that let the symbiote out, oh that must mean it was sent there by Kristoff and accidentally freed it!" Thats quite a stretch.
    It really wasn't the type of plot device that needed much (if any) explaining.

It was more important to move the plot to the symbiote escaping and making its way back to a confrontation with Peter. The "how" could be done in a number of ways. I never even gave it much thought back when it was occuring.

Even still, it wasn't that "lame", so much as it was a simple means to moves the plot.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post

It was more important to move the plot to the symbiote escaping and making its way back to a confrontation with Peter. The "how" could be done in a number of ways. I never even gave it much thought back when it was occuring.

Even still, it wasn't that "lame", so much as it was a simple means to moves the plot.
    I mean the story set up that a third party released the symbiote so readers would want to know who that third party was. If that wasn't the case they should've let the symbiote escape on its own power.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post

Yeah this would have gnawed on my brain if I had read it when it came out. Probably wouldn't have known what really happened until internet chat boards came around. Or if I was lucky enough to be talking about it in my comic shop and there was a FF fan in earshot who coulda explained it to m

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I mean the story set up that a third party released the symbiote so readers would want to know who that third party was. If that wasn't the case they should've let the symbiote escape on its own power.
    Maybe some needed to know that, but it wasn't necessary for me and I doubt I'm the only one. I didn't view the escape as anything more than what was presented. A curious probe looking to study it and not realizing the pinhole it made would be enough to allow it to get out. Since it was in the Baxter Bldg, at most you could make the leap that whatever the probe was about was FF related vice Spider-man related.

I was more interested in what the costume would do next vice what set it free.

Bunch of ways they could have done it but the "how" isn't important to moving the plot. They just wanted to get the loose end of the alien costume put to bed (as Venom was still several years in the making).

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    Yeah this would have gnawed on my brain if I had read it when it came out. Probably wouldn't have known what really happened until internet chat boards came around. Or if I was lucky enough to be talking about it in my comic shop and there was a FF fan in earshot who coulda explained it to m
    It wasn't that serious. You didn't need the FF book to understand the suit was set free. If you have to know every "why" in comics (or entertainment in general), you're going to ALWAYS have plot points gnawing at you.

Compared to the Hobgoblin mystery or the Black Cat relationship, this was a relatively short and small subplot until they got around to resolving it in Spectacular #100/Web of #1.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    This is a lot more complicated that it would seem.

If you want the short version, it was Dr. Doom ... kind of... who just wanted to study it. If you want the long version ...

https://www.cbr.com/provide-some-ans...way-back-when/
    https://static1.cbrimages.com/wordpr...t=crop&dpr=1.5

I prefer the original version of this scene to the retelling.

The specific depiction of the symbiote in the original story gives the 80s era Venom Symbiote a visual character of its own even if it kinda clashes with the later depictions.

Whenever that era is revisited, the symbiote should have the man-made-of-paper look.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ubauba01 View Post

The specific depiction of the symbiote in the original story gives the 80s era Venom Symbiote a visual character of its own even if it kinda clashes with the later depictions.

Whenever that era is revisited, the symbiote should have the man-made-of-paper look.
    I’ve never seen the retelling art before, but I’m always a sucker for the original in almost every aspect.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Astonishing Member

Now I want the symbiote to bond with Paperdoll!
    Former CBR writer. See my old articles here.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post

I’ve never seen the retelling art before, but I’m always a sucker for the original in almost every aspect.
    Couldn't agree more. The OG will always have a special place in my heart
    "Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."