Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Was Earth 167 a good ending for Smallville?

So, spinning off from the thread about Welling and Rosenbaum wanting to do more Smallville stuff, this is something that's been bugging me ever since it aired. Do you think the Arrowverse's COIE ending for Smallville a good ending for the franchise? Speaking for myself, I would say no. I watched the show from beginning to end to wait for him to become Superman. Which we saw all of two seconds of. I also read the spinoff comic. So if we follow the path from the show through the comic to the ending seen in COIE, he was Superman for less than a decade. COIE aired in 2019. And it's implied his daughters are at least toddlers by that point. Which means he was maybe Superman for five years-ish. This bothers a lot of fans of the show as a waste. A show that lasted longer than his actual career as Superman.

To be fair, a lot of people don't consider Earth 167 to be the "official" Smallville universe. Myself included. For a number of continuity related reasons. Not the least of which being that he already went through a version of COIE in the comic with it's own set of Monitors and Anti-Monitor. Neither does the Smallville Wiki on Fandome. For what that's worth. There is also Smallville's problematic real world history. Which might hurt doing anything with it further. And WB has made it clear that they are solely focused on Gunn's vision going forward. There is also the passage of time issue. The show has been off the air for over a decade now. The comic has been out of circulation for nearly a decade. Any plans for a spinoff cartoon seem to be dead if they went anywhere at all. Which means the door may be permanently shut on the Smallville universe altogether at this point. Given this possibility, would you consider Earth 167 to be a good ending for the franchise?
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I hated it. The whole premise of Smallville was Clark embracing his destiny as Superman. Then, in one clip, Arrowverse did away with all of that.

And a Clark who quits being Superman when Lex Luthor is still President? That's not the Superman I know.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

It was a cute cameo and I loved seeing them again. That's as much as I thought about it, to be honest.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

It fit for that take on Clark but I don't mind a Smallville sequel reversing it by having Clark reemerge as Superman after a period of absence.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I loved it..it was a great send off.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    I hated it. The whole premise of Smallville was Clark embracing his destiny as Superman. Then, in one clip, Arrowverse did away with all of that.

And a Clark who quits being Superman when Lex Luthor is still President? That's not the Superman I know.
    The whole premise of the show was coming of age of one mr.kent from smallville.iT was never about caprd superhero superman.Destiny was never his choice.Lex in that universe isn't exactly world ending enemy he was destined to fight.They were both put in to those positions.Clark doesn't need powers that goes away at the sight of green rock.If need be clark can take on the guy without it.the show made it a point to have clark question his messiah complex via lex
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-07-2024 at 07:44 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

I doubt Smallville is ever coming back, so this ending sucks.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    I doubt Smallville is ever coming back, so this ending sucks.
    This is my position. I don't think Warners has any intention of ever touching it again.
    Assassinate Putin!