Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Favorite TV show throwaway character

Throwaway characters are usually created for short story archs - and usually as part of a love triangle.

Has there ever been one of these characters that you really liked? Even though you knew they were probably not going to be around very long, did you want them to stay longer?

A kid named Jesse Turner on SUPERNATURAL.
    He was the Antichrist, disappeared at the end of the ep. that introduced him and was never seen again.

Definitely, my choice would be Triple A (T^T)

"Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

Captain Thadiun Okona.

Liev Schreiber took over CSI from William Peterson for a short story arc, perhaps to test the waters for when Peterson left on a more permanent basis not long after. (His character was killed off).

Gundam, especially the Universal Century/Tomino stuff has quite a few main characters that get killed off, but many that are only around for a few episodes but have a profound impact on the characters.

One such example is Miharu, a Zeon spy (Who is mainly just trying to take care of your younger siblings) who Kai befriends in episodes 26-28. She eventually realizes that the White Base has people like her siblings onboard and tries to protect it from a Zeon underwater attack.

She dies mainly in an accident during the battle, caught in missile exhaust which throws her off the White Base and into the ocean.
    e

However, this changes Kai Shinden, who was generally selfish and sort of the WB's "class clown' before, but is a more responsible character from that point out.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 02-06-2024 at 07:32 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Definitely, my next choice would be Kamina (Gurren Lagann):

I liked Jeffrey Combs' character on Babylon 5. He only appeared in one episode, but on my first viewing I thought they were setting him up to be a major character! He just had that effect as an actor
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Ultimate Member

Spike from Buffy was only supposed to be in a few episodes but ended up being a mainstay.

Definitely, my next choice would be BlackWarGreymon (Digimon Adventure 02):

Last edited by K7P5V; 02-06-2024 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    I liked Jeffrey Combs' character on Babylon 5. He only appeared in one episode, but on my first viewing I thought they were setting him up to be a major character! He just had that effect as an actor
    I always hoped we'd see Michael York's King Arthur/David McIntyre again on B5, maybe during the liberation of Narn. I found him fascinating.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Spike from Buffy was only supposed to be in a few episodes but ended up being a mainstay.
    Ironic really. Spike's transition to recurring menace was announced by his quick and sudden dispatch of Collin the Anointed One. The vampire child had been set up as the next big bad, and got turned into a throwaway character (and into a pile of ash) by what was created as a throwaway character.

Kind of wonder if some Doctor Who companions count.

During the Ninth Doctor era there was Adam Mitchell, who joined in Dalek but was immediately kicked out in the next story after screwing things up and putting in an implant which made his brain open up. He even was a villain in a later comic series!

Katarina and Sara Kingdom were both killed off in The Dalek's Masterplan, Katarina joining in the last serial and Sara only sticking around for a bit of the big epic story. Along with Adric they're some of the companions who have definetly died during the Doctor's companions and don't live on due to some technicality (moffat's companions as noted in the GIGGLE) or passed on due to the actor dying in real life (Sarah and the Brigadier).

Another companion who died was Kamelion, an animatronic robot companion that could shape shift into other people, but because they couldn't really make him work at all properly he only appears in two stories where he's a pawn of the Master and killed off at the end.

Harry Sullivan appeared in Tom Baker's first season because they anticipated that an older actor would be cast as the Fourth Doctor and Harry would do all the physical stuff like Ian and Steven during the Hartnell era. That didn't happen so Harry was written out. Harry is still a fan favorite though (He was kind of written as more of a comic foil to Tom's Doctor instead) and Ian Marter did some Doctor Who novel work before his unfortunate death in the late 80's.

Some on-off characters were considered to be companions or were offered companionship but died.

One such example was Ray, from the "What the hell did I just watch" story that is season 24's DELTA AND THE BANNERMEN.

She sort of was in competition with Sophie Aldred's Ace to be the new companion behind the scenes, eventually the producers decided on Ace.

The majority might not agree, but my next choice would be Roy Fokker (Macross/Robotech):

Wouldn't consider Roy a throwaway character really, he's in half the show.

^^^Oops! I meant no offense. But anyways, thanks for the response.

With that said, my next choice would be Nami (Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory):

Last edited by K7P5V; 02-10-2024 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Added Clarification.