Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Default Jose Delbo 1933- Feb 5, 2024 RIP

Jose Delbo, artist of Wonder Woman throughout the 70's has passed away. While he worked on many DC comics (amongst others) his main body of work for DC was Wonder Woman working on issues fifty nine issues between 222 published March 1976 through 286 published December 1981.

delbo1.jpg
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski

Sadly not familiar with much of his Wonder Woman work but I did from his work on Marvel's Transformers series.

R.I.P.

RIP Jose Delbo.

Astonishing Member

He was a solid, though unheralded WW artist -- much like Irv Novick on Flash. RIP, Mr. Delbo.

RIP. Big part of my middle school Wondy-comic-buying years.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Mighty Member

RIP Mister Delbo.

Incredible Member

Hope their time on the book was rewarding. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    RIP. Big part of my middle school Wondy-comic-buying years.
    I certainly remember his work being the first distinct comic book art I associated with Wonder Woman: he drew some of my favorite Diana battles (versus Empress of the Silver Snake, Kobra, Red Dragon, Gaucho, Cheetah et al)
    May he rest in power.

IMG_0120.jpg

Oh, how sad. I didn’t start collecting Wonder Woman comics until the post Crisis relaunch, but it wasn’t long before I began seeking as many pre Crisis issues at my CBS and I absolutely loved Delbo’s artwork. His was and is still one of my favorite depictions of Diana to date. May he RIP.

Spectacular Member

I was a child of the early-mid '80s. My introduction to super heroes were re-runs of "Super Friends" along with the Lynda Carter "Wonder Woman" and Adam West "Batman" TV shows. When the local channels stopped airing those, my dad introduced me to comic books. He collected them when he was growing up and would take me to flea markets where I would look through stacks of old back issues mostly from the '70s. The Bronze Age Wonder Woman of the '70s and '80s is "my" Wonder Woman and Jose Delbo is the definitive artist of that era of WW. He was to WW in the Bronze Age what Curt Swan was to Superman in the Silver Age. Look at any picture of Lynda Carter from the first season of the television series. You're looking at Jose Delbo's Diana come to life, not so much H.G. Peter's. I think it's unfortunate that a lot of the Bronze Age Wonder Woman material is not readily available as other eras and I hope that will change soon. Thank you, Jose, for your contribution to the legend of Wonder Woman. Rest well, sir.

WONDER 270.jpgR.I.P King you were a Great Talent and i really Enjoyed your art it brought the Stories to Life.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The I.A.D.C. View Post
    II think it's unfortunate that a lot of the Bronze Age Wonder Woman material is not readily available as other eras and I hope that will change soon.
    Sadly, that is true for most DC characters unless their name is Batman. There is some bronze age material that got reprinted. I think more exists digitally, but haven't looked into that avenue in some time, but it probably the smarter way to access those stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Sadly not familiar with much of his Wonder Woman work but I did from his work on Marvel's Transformers series.

R.I.P.
    He seems to be an artist that sadly doesn't get the praise or criticism in The Transformers other than his work was fine, some of this I feel he came in after Don Perlin left the series (and especially years later found fame at Valiant in 90s) and by the time he left the series you the UK team coming in of Geoff Senior, Andrew Wildman and Stephen Baskerville (with Senior not getting a lot of love from US fans until his artwork was reappraised a few years later especially in G2 and Wildman and Baskerville were felt like they had early 90s Jim Lee and Scott Williams energy), what is sad that when did leave the series was when the Pretenders were coming out (transformers with an organic shell) and I feel his takes on the Pretenders were major reasons why I bugged my parents to get me Landmine, Cloudburst, Thunderwing, Jazz, Starscream, and Bumblebee plus he drew my favorite Transformer Powermaster Optimus Prime.

I'll always remember him fondly for Wonder Woman's giant earrings, he's why she looks incomplete to me without them. Also Diana Prince's Lynda Carter-esque fashion sense, as prominent as the monogram on her bag.

His art defined an indelible era and influenced most of us of a certain age. He'll never be forgotten, may he rest in Paradise forever.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Rest In Peace!

WW259.jpg