Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Diana's "First Time"

Before we delve into this, let's all remember to be mature about this discussion now.

In the post-Perez continuity, it was never clear when Diana had her "first time", as the expression goes. As I remember it, she and Trevor Barnes were implied to have fooled around on his mother's couch (in plain view of almost everyone who walked by) during the night she spent at their family home. That was, seemingly, the first time it was acknowledged that Diana had ever gotten carnal with anyone in that continuity. Phil J was clearly looking to remedy her almost 15 years of apparent virginity by finally giving her a real boyfriend, although with very mixed results. She hadn't had one previously - in spite of fantasizing about Rama, and spending a long time with Clark in an alternate reality - because Perez turned Steve Trevor into an older brother type right off the bat, and no one ever wanted to write a specific love interest for her as the years went on. And yet, it seems unlikely Diana's first time was with Trevor, based on how casually she treats their hookup in the issue...not that there's a clear indication of who she was with before Trevor either.

In Pre-Crisis continuity, Wonder Woman was paired up with Steve Trevor immediately in her origin story, and yet seemingly never did anything physical with him because it simply wouldn't have been proper to address that kind of subject matter back in those days. Did she ever lose her virginity, prior to finally marrying Steve up on Olympus in the very last issue, after decades of flirting? I assume DC wanted to keep her "chaste" during her Pre-Crisis run, as absurd as that sounds, given the decades of stories they told.

In the more recent Rebirth/Year One continuity, Greg Rucka tackled things a bit more directly. It's clear Diana that has had girlfriend experience(s) on the island before meeting Steve and coming to Man's World, but that only means she has lost her "v" card off-panel, prior to the start of the story, and once again the entire issue has been avoided.

Considering how Diana is both a feminist icon and a sex symbol, and considering how what transpired between Herakles and Hippolyta lead the Amazons to retreat from society to live on a island hidden from time and men, it doesn't seem a stretch that her sexuality should be a key part of her overall development as a character.

So...here's the big question: since it's been handled in various ways over the years (or avoided entirely), do you think Diana's "first time" should be clearly established as part of the telling of her story, as it would with most other characters in a similar "coming of age" narrative? Or do you think it's better to never specifically address when she first gets intimate with another person?

Curious how everyone feels about this.
    Last edited by DisneyBoy; 02-07-2024 at 12:36 AM.

I’d rather Steve not be her first time.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Extraordinary Member

This is iffy.
    When any other character that didn’t debut as a young teen, we all just assume off panel. Because it’s not that important. They’re already past that young teen coming of age point by losing the V-card.
    With Diana, it’s different because her journey begins as a young adult leaving the island for the first time when she has her first male interface.

But that last point is moot now because Rucka established her as bisexual. So we know she lost her sexual v-card before Trevor crashed on the island.

So unless you're one of those that don’t count lesbian sex as losing one’s virginity for some reason , it just happened to Diana off panel before her superhero journey began, like most superheroes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    This is iffy.
    When any other character that didn’t debut as a young teen, we all just assume off panel. Because it’s not that important. They’re already past that young teen coming of age point by losing the V-card.
    With Diana, it’s different because her journey begins as a young adult leaving the island for the first time when she has her first male interface.

But that last point is moot now because Rucka established her as bisexual. So we know she lost her sexual v-card before Trevor crashed on the island.

So unless you're one of those that don’t count lesbian sex as losing one’s virginity for some reason , it just happened to Diana off panel before her superhero journey began, like most superheroes.
    I'm of mind that if it wasn't printed it didn't happen because one can claim any head-canon to have happened off-panel...

Spectacular Member

WW #223 (Apr-May, 1976) - Steve Trevor is brought back to life after being unceremoniously killed off back in issue #180 early on the mod-Diana Prince era. At the end of the story in #223, Steve adopts the identity of Steve Howard and it's implied that he moves into Diana's apartment with her. The panels on the last page of the issue show them kissing on her couch and it's implied (because that's really all you could get away with in 1970s Bronze Age comics) that he spent the night.

Have it be Mera like in Bombshells (well, first kiss, but still).

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I dont really see why Dianas first time is important. We dont need to see her lose her W card just as it isnt important to see Clark or Bruce...or any of them lose theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    I'm of mind that if it wasn't printed it didn't happen because one can claim any head-canon to have happened off-panel...
    So you need something like this?
    Last edited by Primal Slayer; 02-07-2024 at 08:47 PM.

I don’t have any desire for writers to make a big story out it, but it’s nice if they imply that it’s happened. The way the WW movie suggested it was very well done IMO.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I dont really see why Dianas first time is important. We dont need to see her lose her W card just as it isnt important to see Clark or Bruce...or any of them lose theirs.[/img]
    People can't help but speculate.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    I don’t have any desire for writers to make a big story out it, but it’s nice if they imply that it’s happened. The way the WW movie suggested it was very well done IMO.
    I’m assuming you’re not talking about 1984, because that was… yikes

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Pins View Post
    I’m assuming you’re not talking about 1984, because that was… yikes
    I was referencing the first film.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I honestly don't think about this so I don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I’d rather Steve not be her first time.
    Why not?

100char
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I honestly don't think about this so I don't care.

Why not?

100char
    Same reason Perez aged him up to be to old to be with her during his run, and Rucka gave Diana a girlfriend on the island at the same time Steve showed up for Year One.

So it won't seem like she left Themyscira to be in a romantic relationship with him.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

This seems like such a weird thing to wonder about, and weirdly sexist. I mean, I don't see any hand-wringing about who Bruce Wayne or Clark Kent lost their virginity to and when they did so why wonder about Wonder Woman's sexual history?
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    This seems like such a weird thing to wonder about, and weirdly sexist. I mean, I don't see any hand-wringing about who Bruce Wayne or Clark Kent lost their virginity to and when they did so why wonder about Wonder Woman's sexual history?
    I'm sure people think about that though .