Mighty Member

Default Mad magazine TV and movie satires...

What I liked about these is that they would often go beyond the ending of the movie for a punchline.

The peter sellers being there for instance had his simpleton character actually become president. He sees an ad during an intense situation regarding the USSR and says use preparation h. His advisors thinks he means the h bomb and launch nuclear war. Nuclear holocaust was also a punchline in their war games and top gun send ups..

There was also the Jewish wedding of Han and Leia in their Rotj satire...

The Australian edition featured satires of thunderdome and road warrior where Max ends up running an auto salvage yard outta the cars trashed in that movie...

What were your faves?
    Last edited by AnthonyO'Brien; 02-07-2024 at 02:36 AM.

Invincible Member

I liked in the beginning they used animation based on artists and graphics from 70's Mad magazine ( Spy vs Spy, Don Martin, etc ).

Extraordinary Member

I misremembered Mad doing a parody of Escape from New York. But it was really Cracked. Mad did recently put out a movie classics mag.

One of my favorite endings was for their WKRP in Cincinnati spoof, where the cast from the Mary Tyler Moore Show appeared in the final panel.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Mighty Member

Don Martin did the Conehead the barbarian send up and Genteel ben (gentle ben) an oddball sendup of the beloved heroic bear that I'm pretty sure inspired the guys from Ren & Stimpy

Cracked would often do stuff MAD wouldn't touch and were often poorly drawn, written and edited. The Cracked satire of BTTF3 ends with Doc and Marty throwing Clara off a train to stop Dan Quayle becoming President (???)

QT fulfilled a childhood dream a few years back and wrote a special tie-in MAD satire of the Dicaprio TV cowboy show. It ended with the character shooting it out with other sixties TV western characters..

The Goonies satire somehow omitted the Martha Plimpton character entirely!
    Last edited by AnthonyO'Brien; 02-07-2024 at 05:34 PM.

Invincible Member

I might have misunderstood the assignment...I thought the OP meant the Mad Magazine TV sketch show?

Mighty Member

No problems. you can talk about that as well if U want. (loved the Dolemite sketches)

Mort Drucker was the king of the caricatures in TV and movie satires!

It was cool that Jack Davis did the predator satire. Trouble is he drew the mini-gun as a small gun!
    Last edited by AnthonyO'Brien; 02-07-2024 at 08:53 PM.

I'm not entirely sure if it was Mad or Cracked but one Jurassic Park adaptation used elements from the ending of the novel, where the survivors are in less of a hurry to leave and try to contain the Raptor threat, with one scene dealing with them calling a boat where Raptors have snuck onboard going to the mainland (Not to be confused with the sequels featuring Dinosaur-related deaths on boats).

Probably because the parody had to be done by the time the film came out and they didn't have access to the script?
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Mighty Member

Sometimes the writers would recycle gags: knight rider and Mel in Lethal weapon (Legal wreckin') were shot but survived because "the laundrette always puts too much starch in my shirts"

Wally wood did a great silent sequence of Brando's the wild one, with the girl running for her life...