Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post
    Duggan wrote this as if anybody cared about Talon and Sync's romance.
    The X-men fighting Nimrod also was shabby.
    Phil Noto is not good with action scenes, but it's the writer's responsibility to create interesting fighting strategies.
    I remembered how many clever strategies Gillen presented on that Uncanny X-men Fear Itself tie-in. While here the X-men were fighting like newbies.
    If it weren't for Sync ex machina status, this X-men team that was supposed to be the savior in FoTHOX would be slaughtered.
    Nimrod is going easy on them. He was absolute terror in Rise #1 by Gillen

EDIT: Anyway, why is he still synching in memory and not with his aura to strength the powers copied from Spiderman and contain Nimrod? Storm's powers stunned the killer cyborg, but it's a weak variant of her powers from synching in memory and not with his aura. He can use Spiderman's powers differently to bury Nimrod alive.

Duggan is running out of ideas on Synch's powers
    Last edited by Pantherflash; 02-07-2024 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakurai View Post
    Also, lol at "longest romance" that 99% of happened off panel, like great cheating mate, does not count
    Now, lets not exaggerate; it was more like 99.999999999999999999% off panel.
    1% was giving it way to much credit.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

I feel like Talon's death should count as a fridging moment.
    She went into the vault strictly so Duggan could start a relationship between her and Synch, she got left behind and no one cared enough to check to see if she was alive just popped out a new Laura so this Laura could stick around and literally just serve to be the girlfriend of Synch when she got back.
    Their battle with the High Evolutionary didn't matter, her death didn't matter and won't be discussed, the only thing that mattered is that it 'helped' develop Synch into making a 'leadership' decision.
    Last edited by JamJams; 02-07-2024 at 01:07 PM.

Fantastic Member

I never really considered how good Synch should be in a battle against Nimrod. Nimrod is supposed to adapt to powers, but synch could keep switching it up with fresh powers everytime.
    But apparently Duggan has been reading X-men Red and went with the "one powerful lightning bolt to end a fight" move.

It may be giving the writers too much credit, but I think Nimrod might be intentionally holding back. His endgame is calling forth the Phalanx Dominion, which we saw will take about 10 years.

He doesn't really care about mutant and human conflict. In fact it's probably better for him if they stay distracted fighting each other.

Quote Originally Posted by JamJams View Post
    I feel like Talon's death should count as a fridging moment.
    She went into the vault strictly so Duggan could start a relationship between her and Synch, she got left behind and no one cared enough to check to see if she was alive just popped out a new Laura so this Laura could stick around and literally just serve to be the girlfriend of Synch when she got back.
    Their battle with the High Evolutionary didn't matter, her death didn't matter and won't be discussed, the only thing that mattered is that it 'helped' develop Synch into making a 'leadership' decision.
    Hickman is the one that started the romance so I dont agree that she went into the Vault solely so Duggan could do this romance. He's the one that decided to bring her back and play with what Hickman started

Quote Originally Posted by captain Qball View Post
    I never really considered how good Synch should be in a battle against Nimrod. Nimrod is supposed to adapt to powers, but synch could keep switching it up with fresh powers everytime.
    But apparently Duggan has been reading X-men Red and went with the "one powerful lightning bolt to end a fight" move.

It may be giving the writers too much credit, but I think Nimrod might be intentionally holding back. His endgame is calling forth the Phalanx Dominion, which we saw will take about 10 years.

He doesn't really care about mutant and human conflict. In fact it's probably better for him if they stay distracted fighting each other.
    Duggan didn't know how to write Storm proper, it's no surprise that this is what we got when he's using a Storm proxy.

To to frank, since it's established that Synch can copy all powers, him Synching with Storm should've had more oomf. You have an Omega Level/God/Witch all in one and the best he came up with was a lightning bolt?

Okey.
    This is not our house. Know that and know peace!

Not really active here anymore, feel free to find me on the cesspool that is Twitter: https://twitter.com/DivineMutation

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Story is great, the art is just not fitting the story. They should have had a different artist who can draw action scènes better.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Story is great, the art is just not fitting the story. They should have had a different artist who can draw action scènes better.
    That too.

I don't know if anyone else caught it but that electrical attack Nimrod hit Kurt and Spidey with is about the same -visually- as with what Synch hit Nimrod with.

This is not our house. Know that and know peace!

Not really active here anymore, feel free to find me on the cesspool that is Twitter: https://twitter.com/DivineMutation

The art did not help this book at all.

I like Noto but this book doesn't seem to fit him at all. Like that panel with the X-men and Spiderman fighting Nimrod is just... bad.

This issue was okay. I was glad to see it tie in more directly to the main plot and it was fun seeing a team of X-Men working together again, especially with Spider-Man in the mix. Using the High Evolutionary’s tech was a cool way to disarm Orchis’ hostage situation too.

Unfortunately, there were some big things working against it. The romance between Synch and Talon was pretty hard to invest in, given that most of it happened off-panel and Talon has never really felt like a fleshed out character, so all of their big moments here felt contrived and fell flat. And while I like Noto’s art, it doesn’t really work for me in action scenes - it just doesn’t feel dynamic enough. Even Synch’s entry to the battle, which was obviously supposed to be dramatic, lacked real impact.

Here’s hoping next issue is a return to good form for Duggan.

On a separate note: I think I’ve lost track of something…what happened to the cliffhanger of Wolverine, Shadowkat and Ms Marvel finding the bunker in ruins and Synch and Talon missing?
    "When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — No, you move."

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Grayson View Post
    This issue was okay. I was glad to see it tie in more directly to the main plot and it was fun seeing a team of X-Men working together again, especially with Spider-Man in the mix. Using the High Evolutionary’s tech was a cool way to disarm Orchis’ hostage situation too.

Unfortunately, there were some big things working against it. The romance between Synch and Talon was pretty hard to invest in, given that most of it happened off-panel and Talon has never really felt like a fleshed out character, so all of their big moments here felt contrived and fell flat. And while I like Noto’s art, it doesn’t really work for me in action scenes - it just doesn’t feel dynamic enough. Even Synch’s entry to the battle, which was obviously supposed to be dramatic, lacked real impact.

Here’s hoping next issue is a return to good form for Duggan.

On a separate note: I think I’ve lost track of something…what happened to the cliffhanger of Wolverine, Shadowkat and Ms Marvel finding the bunker in ruins and Synch and Talon missing?
    I think it was after Synchs return, Talon is missing cause she dead, Synch himself trashed the bunker, cause he was sad.

I don’t think I’ve ever got anything out of this book. It’s like the characters have lines and do things, but it’s like the bare minimum for them to be considered characters. Synch and Talon have been around for many episodes now but I don’t feel like I know them at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    I don’t think I’ve ever got anything out of this book. It’s like the characters have lines and do things, but it’s like the bare minimum for them to be considered characters. Synch and Talon have been around for many episodes now but I don’t feel like I know them at all.
    lol..I love that you wrote episodes

Extraordinary Member

I read this and then finally got around to reading Resurrection of Magneto. Even though I have no interest in anything that was happening in Red I was able to feel both a sense of story and character in just one issue of the Ewing book. Makes me wish Ewing moved from Sword to the main X book instead.