Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Man those last few issues feels like a summary of a story, everything is so fast...
    Noto should stop doing interior art on ongoing at least.

Astonishing Member

Alright, what was even the point of this whole Talon story?
    Really, I just don't get it.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I thought this issue was an improvement over the last few ones in that it at least seemed to move the plot forward. And while Duggan is usually good at checking in on multiple characters and sub-plots, the Kingpin/Typhoid pages felt a bit out of place here and might have been more appropriate for Iron Man.

I question the decision to bring Talon back in the first place only to kill her off again but I accept it could all be just part of Everett's character journey and I'm willing to see how it plays out.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Well RIP Talon, you were barely used and had no impact whatsoever.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

I had to power through this, the art is just bad, the battle against Nimrod just doesn't work with it and the dialogue doesn't grab me.

As someone who was never sold on the "oldest" romance to exist, i just didn't care what went down because frankly what do you do once you kill off Talon? Either bring her back in a new "old" body, have her take over current Laura somehow or kill her off permanently (which i bet they won't do, i can feel it in my bones they will resurrect her just to continue the farce).

Another thing that gets me is that the keep pointing out that Synch's powers are rapidly ageing him...where are the effects? Where is the consequence? Why keep bringing that up and not show what it is doing to him?

NIMROD, the ultimate let down, when they showed him during this era they made him be the ultimate nightmare for mutants, i mean he wiped out Apocalypse but over the course of the era they have made him an utter joke.

About the only thing i could say is a bit of a positive is Spider-man, i liked him better here in this single issue than in his current run...though that is not exactly a very high bar to begin with.
    Last edited by Hulkout42; 02-08-2024 at 06:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    You and me both friend.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    Longest romance in x-men history? Un no there plenty that have been longer and better. Synch and Talon was always lame. I'm glad Talon died. And if Creed doesn't kill x23 in Wolverine at least she'll be around. Rogue and gambit Scott and Jran Havok and Polaris kitty and Peter. Are way longer then Everett and Laura.
    Longest romance is Creed/Logan. Already ongoing, and with them being practically immortal, will keep on continuing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    Another thing that gets me is that the keep pointing out that Synch's powers are rapidly ageing him...where are the effects? Where is the consequence? Why keep bringing that up and not show what it is doing to him?
    It was shown in Rise of Powers (Future Synch is wheelchair bound and old due using his powers), but yes, that has been poorly shown by Duggan.
    Talon at least has a streak of white hair showing how Vault living aged her; Synch looks and behaves exactly the same every time he uses his powers.

There were no negative effects shown in Duggan's entire run; it is only a few sentences in this issue and what is shown in Rise of Powers #1.
    Last edited by lefthanded; 02-08-2024 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sbp1972 View Post
    Orchis infected the Krakoan medicines with a "kill switch" that they can use to kill humans that took the meds. They don't know they are/were hostages, but that is essentially what they were.
    Yeah, and one of them was MJ's aunt, Anna Watson, so no wonder Spidey wanted in on this mission. He wasn't just there to help his friends Kamala and Logan!

Quote Originally Posted by Pantherflash View Post
    This don't age well today after the infamous marriage arc during the Ressurexxtion era.... Peter is happy with Neela now. There are plenty of Xcouples I ship and Synch and Talon is just a one time thing to me.
    Isn't Neela dead?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

if super synch can use magik's teleportation powers, why are they waiting around for Rogue and Gambit to come by with the Jet... can't they just teleport to wherever they actually need to go and ask R+G to meet them there? And why wouldn't he be able to teleport to cyclops and quickly grab him? Synch with his upgrade has made him so much less interesting, a mary sue for any occasion, and has become a plot device that is taking up far too much panel time IMO. Happy to be rid of the forced Talon ship

I enjoyed the plot of this issue but the dialogue and art were not up to par. Noto is an amazing artist for quiet moments but his action scenes leave a lot to be desired. The way Duggan writes Nimrod also is just not a good fit imo. I did really enjoy Synch's big entrance and exit but the way the rest of the team just looked like fools was bad. It seemed like the X-Men were taking turns attacking Nimrod instead of working as a team (you know mutant circuits a major point of the last 5 years) and why the hell did they focus on his legs so much lol. Spidey getting caught so easily was also a bit of an eyeroll, I know Nimrod is an unstoppable killing machine but it works a lot better when the X-Men look competent and then still get their butts whooped. Hopefully next issue is a little bit better, overall I have enjoyed Duggan but recently he has been pretty hit or miss.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    When did the Talon story start? They were forced to wrap all this up and in one of the X-Men Mondays, they said that they talked about 'what needs to be resolved'. Brevoort wouldn't want to inherit it. Duggan could've done more and not taken an irrelevant side trip to Latveria, but maybe there was a better plan.

Mighty Member

Holy, Synch has really become one of the most hated x-characters around hasn't he. And for what, being some perceived Mary Sue, being in a relationship with Laura, too powerful? I just don't get it. The guy was unceremoniously killed off decades ago, comes back gets some focus and is not hated. So many uber powerful x-characters, no prob. So many uber powerful characters, no prob. With Synch it's a major problem. Very telling.

Synch being powerful is not new. Remembering powers and synching with non-mutants is new, but I don't think that's the real problem. There are ways to write powerful characters in a satisfying way, and then there's what Duggan's been doing here. Same with romance. I loved Synch back in the Generation X days, have missed him these past decades, and was excited by his return. But what Hickman and later Duggan did with Synch and X23/Talon just wasn't well written. I hope the next writing/editorial team at least tries to do him better, and not just throws him away again. And colorists: don't be lazy! Figure out that aura and use it all the time, even if he's remembering!
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Talon/Synch went on for way, way too long. In that respect, it felt like the longest and most drawn-out X-Men romance.

q.q for Synch. But now that you're free, there's plenty of X-cougars to date. Or if the next writer wants to be bold, there's Hellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

The recall powers is arguably the worst development to happen to him and its why the Marty Sue accusation exists. It lacks creativity and is a plot hole like I mentioned earlier bc having access to Magik's teleportation would solve alot of the problems faced in Fall of X. Orchis made a big deal abou targetting her with nanomachines so her powers wouldnt work bc they knew she'd be a useful tool to stop them and the X-editors put her off the table by throwing her in another realm. yet Synch is here and can use her powers but convenenitly hasnt until this issue. Make that make sense