Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ultimate Black Panther #1 discussion *spoilers*

What are your thoughts on the orgin changes?

Character changes?

General direction of the plot? Ect, ect.

Im pleased with the first book. All of the players and the threat were introduced in a single issue. Possible future threats in the Vodu
    Attachment 137566

And some of the best costume and character designs ive seen In some time for nearly everyone appearing in the book. Particularly a big fan of the look of the new Dora captain Abeni

My only 2 complaints are MCU tech genius Shuri showing up again encroaching on one of the important and most basic strengths/accomplishments of the main hero. And second being T'Chaka not having enough presence for his death to make an impact on the reader (atleast me). In the main Universe his death shapes T'Challa's entire psyche and is the cayalist for his over preparedness bordering on paranoia for unknown situations. In this book I'm not sure what it does for him other than advance the plot but maybe we will see

Eager to see what this t'challa actually brings to the table other than his position and physical abilities due to that change. Very excited to read this run
    Last edited by Ekie; 02-08-2024 at 03:49 PM.

For the first time in several years I can honestly say that I am looking forward to the next issue of a Black Panther series. Hill and Caselli did a fantastic job and I feel relief that T'Challa is in good hands.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    For the first time in several years I can honestly say that I am looking forward to the next issue of a Black Panther series. Hill and Caselli did a fantastic job and I feel relief that T'Challa is in good hands.
    Boggles the mind to think we could have had this kind of T'Challa long ago but Marvel just kept kicking the bucket down the road up to right now. The story was paced well, art was telling the same story as the writing. We already have a T'Challa that jump off the page with presence. Didn't think they would kill his father this early but I want to see how T'Challa is going to be unleashed.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Loved it all from start to finish!!! This is the Wakanda I want and need! Can't wait for issue two.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

This book was beautiful !! The costumes, the haircuts... Caselli is awesome !

So good to have T'Challa as the King in a Black Panther comic. I'm very interested by all the charcaters and I want to know more, great job from Hill too.

So… I haven’t been looking forward to a Black Panther book since Priest wrote it. Very good issue!

Apparently a lot of people didn't get the chance to read it because Penguin LOST 12,000 copies, therefore shorting shops' orders.
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/peng...ack-panther-1/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

Slightly underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, it is a great issue of Black Panther, but it just doesn't feel very.... Ultimate.

There is nothing here that couldn't just have been used wholesale in a 616 Black Panther comic. For an Ultimate Universe that is affected by the Maker's influence, there is largely no evidence of his influence here. We merely get a text description in the intro that the Maker's Council has designs, but in comic we could have had T'Chaka and T'Challa have a conversation mentioning needing to be wary about the Maker's City/Council, or something else.

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    Slightly underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, it is a great issue of Black Panther, but it just doesn't feel very.... Ultimate.

There is nothing here that couldn't just have been used wholesale in a 616 Black Panther comic. For an Ultimate Universe that is affected by the Maker's influence, there is largely no evidence of his influence here. We merely get a text description in the intro that the Maker's Council has designs, but in comic we could have had T'Chaka and T'Challa have a conversation mentioning needing to be wary about the Maker's City/Council, or something else.
    Oddly I can agree with you on the point that this very well could have been done in 616. To a degree that is why the abundance of positive feedback. Real Black Panther fans got what they have been waiting so long for. T'Challa to be writer as he should be. Now where is the Ultimate spin on the character well, its only the first issue ...which started great! I say let's give Hill a chance. He comes off as someone that really appreciates who T'Challa is and can be. That's always a starting point as opposed to the trash that's been written for the last 8 or so years. Love the Dune elements Hill is slowly incorporating in the narrative.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Oddly I can agree with you on the point that this very well could have been done in 616. To a degree that is why the abundance of positive feedback. Real Black Panther fans got what they have been waiting so long for. T'Challa to be writer as he should be. Now where is the Ultimate spin on the character well, its only the first issue ...which started great! I say let's give Hill a chance. He comes off as someone that really appreciates who T'Challa is and can be. That's always a starting point as opposed to the trash that's been written for the last 8 or so years. Love the Dune elements Hill is slowly incorporating in the narrative.
    Yep, Hill is doing really well at giving the different characters personalities and seeding potential personal and big picture conflicts.

Really good artwork as well. My one complaint though, with all the Dune influences, is that they failed to give T'Chaka a beard to rival Oscar Isaacs'.

Incredible Member

Last time we got an ultimate Tchalla he was a Wolverine knockoff .
    I’m beyond totally fine with this feeling like an old school priest/dune
    Inspired Tchalla. The Shuri thing is here to stay in any universe lol we might
    Need to get over that Just don’t dumb down Tchalla in the process.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post

I also agree with all of this.

It was a solid start for me and not much beyond that.

However, some of Hill's interviews have got me excited for what he plans to do with the book.

Incredible Member

It was a great start some BP FANS are so used to mopey Panther
    Folk trying to temper expectations.

Amazing Member

Haven't read it yet but from the reviews I skimmed it seems like a great start. I do have to ask are BP and Okoye in a relationship or just formal arrangement? The same question applies to Storm and Killmonger. I was also interested in what type of dynamic Killmonger and Black Panther will have in this universe but I suppose its too early to know that so its something I'll be looking forward to see how it develops

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

From Killmonger's words to the villagers he and Storm might have issue with T'Challa for allowing the rest of Africa to be destroyed while they remained hidden and it was only when the destruction hit home that Wakanda acted...which is a fair point. But T'Challa as King also has to weigh his response to the threats and not just "jump in" and engage as Shuri wanted.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!