Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member Trapgodthanos's Avatar

Paraphrasing what I said in the ultimate thread, I loved this issue. I haven't liked the black panther runs I read in 616 but liked the movie version so this comic feels like it was made for me lol. There is definitely mcu inspiration but I don't think that's a bad thing, its unique enough where it doesn't feel like a copy or cheap. I wasn't aware of stefano caselli really at all before this but he killed it. While I loved the whole issue, the killmonger and storm pages got me most hype. I can't wait to these how those two will interact and play off wakanda and T'challa. I liked this more than ultimate spider-man and can't wait for the next issue.

Astonishing Member

Is the Killmonger Black Panther design based on something that exists in 616? Or is it entirely new.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Is the Killmonger Black Panther design based on something that exists in 616? Or is it entirely new.
    It’s a modem take on his classic look.

And while I enjoyed this book I also don’t see what’s “Ultimate” about this outside of some character pairings. Feels like this could’ve set easily in the 616. At first I thought the difference would be that TChaka lives but that didn’t pan out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dariel81 View Post
    Last time we got an ultimate Tchalla he was a Wolverine knockoff .
    I’m beyond totally fine with this feeling like an old school priest/dune
    Inspired Tchalla. The Shuri thing is here to stay in any universe lol we might
    Need to get over that Just don’t dumb down Tchalla in the process.
    Even if not dumbing him down its still a major hit to TChalla to remove his achievent of technologically advancing his entire nation to futuristic levels just to give it to one of his fairly new side characters on the basis that the side character was created without a lane to exist within the story other than representaion. If a side character can't find a lane to occupy then I see little need for the character. Magic/ Alchemy should really be her focus as thats still largly absent in T'Challa's world.

Its akin to removing Tony's armor building and engineering abilities and giving it to Pepper to boost her importance with the justification that Tony still gets to shoot things and wear the armor. The result of this in the MCU was casual fans immediately claiming that Shuri deserves to be black panther since she built everything.
    So that depiction should always get push back.

That said. New universe new take.
    Last edited by Ekie; 02-08-2024 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing96 View Post
    Haven't read it yet but from the reviews I skimmed it seems like a great start. I do have to ask are BP and Okoye in a relationship or just formal arrangement? The same question applies to Storm and Killmonger. I was also interested in what type of dynamic Killmonger and Black Panther will have in this universe but I suppose its too early to know that so its something I'll be looking forward to see how it develops
    Yeah, I get the strong feeling that there are gonna be some wild entanglements going on, and dammit, I'm here for all of it! Let's see how all this goes down with a writer that holds T'Challa in higher esteem and can be more balanced and sensible in his portrayals in relationships.

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    It’s a modem take on his classic look.

And while I enjoyed this book I also don’t see what’s “Ultimate” about this outside of some character pairings. Feels like this could’ve set easily in the 616. At first I thought the difference would be that TChaka lives but that didn’t pan out.
    Logically, if T'Chaka lived, wouldn't he be Black Panther, not T'Challa? The mantle usually comes with the kingdom doesn't it?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I would say it's Ultimate because T'Challa is King. Wakanda is a thriving, prosperous monarchy hidden from (almost) everyone else. Which is a small differentiation but very vast in context between the 6160 and 616 timelines.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 02-08-2024 at 05:11 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

That's also the silver age status quo isn't it? This is basically just a reboot. Which is still enough to justify it being set in an AU instead of 616.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

In fairness to BP appearing not that different, the original Ultimate Spider-Man wasn't really that different from how Peter normally is either.

The changes are more about the characters and settings around them, which should make it interesting when we delve into the new differences of this world. For instance his marriage to Okoye whether it will become a genuine one of love or a purely marriage of convenience.

Astonishing Member

I did get the impression that the marriage to Okye was of convenience. But I loved their bedroom, lol.

I am glad that T´Chacka died early, so that we got it out of the way, but it felt unemotionless to me.

The biggest complain I have is the price of the book.

Rest of it, I liked.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    In fairness to BP appearing not that different, the original Ultimate Spider-Man wasn't really that different from how Peter normally is either.

The changes are more about the characters and settings around them, which should make it interesting when we delve into the new differences of this world. For instance his marriage to Okoye whether it will become a genuine one of love or a purely marriage of convenience.
    There are plenty of changes but people are comparing it to the recent BP books instead of the original story.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Logically, if T'Chaka lived, wouldn't he be Black Panther, not T'Challa? The mantle usually comes with the kingdom doesn't it?
    In this book T'Challa is already the king and Black Panther with T'Chaka still alive. Having him survive and act as an advisor would have actually been something we haven't seen before.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post

That's the original. It was meant to be modern takes on classic characters. This Ultimate Universe is not that. It's supposed to be much different. See the current Ultimate Spider-Man. Shuri, Okoye, T'Challa even Killmonger from the brief bits we see of him sound like they would in the regular MU. Him being king, which is obviously something he'll eventually get back to in the main universe doesn't feel different enough. But I'm willing to see where it goes.

Niffleheim

T'Challa will be dealing with Khonshu & Ra's expansion in Africa, the Doras' great appetite for war established (maybe even suspect for the bomber), the Vodu-Khan (likely planted by The Maker) and Killmonger & Storm teased. The setup is pretty intriguing but I can't really guess how things are going to turn out
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

I think I woulda been fine not reading the Ultimate Invasion mini to jump in here.

Overall enjoyed this opening solvo and can't wait to see the differences from here and 616(besides Tchalla being King).
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

This was pretty good, really enjoyed the art and the setup so far. Though i would agree the price was a bit steep but i ultimately found it worth it.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/