Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moana 2

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Eh, direct to video sequels aside I think there have been way more wins than losses: Toy Story 2(and every other sequel), Finding Dory,Frozen II,Incredibles 2, Rescuers Down Under, and Ralph Breaks the Internet were all really good.
    I feel like Frozen II, Incredibles 2, Ralph Breaks the Internet, and even stuff like Toy Story 4 were kind of divisive.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like Frozen II, Incredibles 2, Ralph Breaks the Internet, and even stuff like Toy Story 4 were kind of divisive.
    Where were they divisive? They put buts in seats like nobody's business and kids loved them. At the end of the day that's a win.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Where were they divisive? They put buts in seats like nobody's business and kids loved them. At the end of the day that's a win.
    ^^^Agreed.

Also, it’s weird/cool to watch two guys w. Batman avatars debate each other.

I'm not arguing their box office, just their critical reception.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Of these only TS4 was perhaps a step down from the other TS films. However, the TS saga, if I may use that word, is about the inner recognition of ones life cycle.

Moana is the last great critically acclaimed and fan loved animated film from pre-Covid.

Encanto is the only one of the during/post-Covid films to find any acclaim.
    Elemental is a distant second but not sure about its claim to wide acclaim is there, it just didn't take like so many others in the 2020s from Disney/Pixar.
    Onward, Raya and the Last Dragon, Luca, Soul, Turning Red, Strange World and Wish were all duds at the Box Office for one reason or another. Only the 2020 releases I think can fully lay large parts of blame on the lock downs. Onward and Raya I quite like.

Lets see how Inside Out 2 does.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Of these only TS4 was perhaps a step down from the other TS films. However, the TS saga, if I may use that word, is about the inner recognition of ones life cycle.

Moana is the last great critically acclaimed and fan loved animated film from pre-Covid.

Encanto is the only one of the during/post-Covid films to find any acclaim.
    Elemental is a distant second but not sure about its claim to wide acclaim is there, it just didn't take like so many others in the 2020s from Disney/Pixar.
    Onward, Raya and the Last Dragon, Luca, Soul, Turning Red, Strange World and Wish were all duds at the Box Office for one reason or another. Only the 2020 releases I think can fully lay large parts of blame on the lock downs. Onward and Raya I quite like.

Lets see how Inside Out 2 does.
    Soul, Luca and Turning Red never had first run theatrical releases, they were direct to Disney +
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Luca, turning red and chip and dale rescue rangers all got new york and LA movie screenings to count for oscars so they did "count' as big screen movies before this. Soul on the other hand---

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Astonishing Member

Soul, Luca and Turning Red never had first run theatrical releases, they were direct to Disney +
    I didnt see Soul yet. Really liked Luca and thought Turning Red was just ok.

The first film sold extremely well. Maybe the sequel will work out.

After so many flops in the past two consecutive years, I hope this new year will work out for Disney. I also hope the CEO Iger isn't screwing the company up too much.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    In regards to Pixar I heard that Coco was seen to be the last truly successful movie from them for a long time because that was when the original overseer of Pixar left? Though honestly I think Onward especially is fantastic and had the misfortune of being released two seconds before Covid…

Also I heard that Raya struggled a lot because besides the Covid release issues they had to recruit so many south Asian animators and artists from outside the company for new regulations and it was seen to be a major challenge…

Almost all of the animated film flops in the past two years are originals. Lightyear is more like a spinoff rather than a sequel.

I hate to see that Disney is gonna keep relying on making new sequels to the popular franchises in order to make a huge profit. Inside Out 2. Toy Story 5. Zootopia 2. Frozen 3. Cars 4. Moana 2. Mufasa: The Lion King.
    Last edited by Zauriel; 02-13-2024 at 11:20 AM. Reason: forgot about the Toy Story 5

Elemental while not doing as well still did that comeback so it's not all doom and gloom but disney needs new people in marketing because they had done an awful job these last few years.

Yes, that was an impressive comeback Elemental made. It made almost $500 million against its $200 mil. budget.