Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    Mighty Member

It's interesting how people can react to violent/graphic stories, depections or scenes depending on context. The same people that cheer on Polaris unleashing the Brood on the Orchis goons to be ripped apart will be the same people reviled about Sabretooth ripping apart characters in the pages of Wolverine. So what does that say, gratuitous violence and wanton slaughter doesn't matter if we hate or have no attachments to the characters being killed? Orchis goons = bad so yes you go Lorna, kill em all. Mutants = good so you suck Percy, killing characters for shock value. I don't have a problem with either depiction, it's in service to the stories being told. It's just interesting how some can view essentially the same thing but have completely opposite takes depending on their personal biases.

Astonishing Member

Its almost like context is a thing, and people who relate to a marginalized group lashing out REACTIVELY against active initiators of an attempted genocide aren't ACTUALLY predisposed to being titillated by a character inflicting gratuitous violence against innocents who have done nothing to deserve being targeted.

The false equivalencies going on here are insane. Superficial parallels and flipping the script tactics do not actually make scenarios as easily interchangeable as some of you like to pretend. Both sides-ism isn't doing the critical thinking skills on display in this thread aaaaaaaaany favors.

(And for the record, I feel like too many people don't realize that operating off the presumption that any two sides in a conflict are just as likely to both have viable points or justifications is ALSO a presumption born of biases in its own right.)
    Last edited by BobbysWorld; 02-11-2024 at 06:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    Its almost like context is a thing, and people who relate to a marginalized group lashing out REACTIVELY against active initiators of an attempted genocide aren't ACTUALLY predisposed to being titillated by a character inflicting gratuitous violence against innocents who have done nothing to deserve being targeted.

The false equivalencies going on here are insane. Superficial parallels and flipping the script tactics do not actually make scenarios as easily interchangeable as some of you like to pretend. Both sides-ism isn't doing the critical thinking skills on display in this thread aaaaaaaaany favors.

(And for the record, I feel like too many people don't realize that operating off the presumption that any two sides in a conflict are just as likely to both have viable points or justifications is ALSO a presumption born of biases in its own right.)
    It's really alarming how many people consider themselves X-Men fans while also completely missing the central themes of the franchise. Now I understand how paint-by-numbers writers like Duggan can rise to such prominence; there's a huge swath of fans who wouldn't be able to comprehend anything more nuanced. Critical thinking is at an all time low...so many children left behind.

What is really alarming is people painting themselves as smart and the only ones able to understand the "main theme" because everybody else that has a different view probably lacks the mental capacity to reason. They can't be fans! Just the average arrogance and gatekeeping.

Quote Originally Posted by Icefanatic View Post
    An ounce of morality would be all that is required, a half-ounce. Even just a spec...
    The "Surprise, here's my pack of dogs to eat you all alive' expression? She's GLORYING in what she is doing, from the smile to the dialogue it is made VERY clear.

*Sigh* Killing them could be argued as self-defense. Glorying in her enemies being physically devoured right in front of her is something else.

And I'll close by saying that the people ridiculously arguing the X-Men are facing a choice between peace/pacifism that gets them killed or enjoying having a pack of 'dogs' devour their enemies alive as their only options are being just that, ridiculous.
    I agree. While her entrance and taking action look good, the actual devouring of Orchis does not. If people don't care about being moral and anything goes, might as well have Xavier mindr*pe everybody telepathically. Maybe have Legion or James manipulate reality and just destroy them. If you want to have mass destruction, have Storm cast whatever she's feeling on their bases around the globe.

One can respond to a threat to their house giving a warning shot or shooting (if necessary) the intruder without aiming for every limb just to make them suffer and take pleasure in it. I'm all for them responding to the whole thing, it's reached a boiling point. The key difference here is that Lorna is not just wiping them out (which is also debatable but I'll leave it at that), she's savoring them being eaten alive.

At the end of the day, we do understand getting angry and desiring revenge, it's human nature, a desire for justice. Being cruel, though, and actually enjoying it, shortens the gap between the X-men and Orchis or any other villain.
    Last edited by Psych1c; 02-11-2024 at 07:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Psych1c View Post
    What is really alarming is people painting themselves as smart and the only ones able to understand the "main theme" because everybody else that has a different view probably lacks the mental capacity to reason. They can't be fans! Just the average arrogance and gatekeeping.
    I dunno what to say, Psych1c. Try harder.

This preview reminded me of something I watched years ago. I remembered this morning.

Lorna looks a little unhinged in the preview but I'm not gonna cast judgment on someone who experienced what happened on Genosha firsthand and is experiencing something similar at the moment. Honestly if this was Jean I'd be more taken aback but with Lorna I can let it pass. Besides as a certain british air marshal once said

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."

I don't think anyone will deny the parallels between orchis and the nazi regime. That said I'm not condoning violence of any kind as long as it's unwarrented, but mutants can't afford to turn the other cheek when orchis wants to take the head.

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    It's interesting how people can react to violent/graphic stories, depections or scenes depending on context. The same people that cheer on Polaris unleashing the Brood on the Orchis goons to be ripped apart will be the same people reviled about Sabretooth ripping apart characters in the pages of Wolverine. So what does that say, gratuitous violence and wanton slaughter doesn't matter if we hate or have no attachments to the characters being killed? Orchis goons = bad so yes you go Lorna, kill em all. Mutants = good so you suck Percy, killing characters for shock value. I don't have a problem with either depiction, it's in service to the stories being told. It's just interesting how some can view essentially the same thing but have completely opposite takes depending on their personal biases.
    You are confused. And wrong.

It is a painful, alarming stretch to compare, in any way, how the X-Men are responding to ANOTHER Genocide and Sabretooth being a serial killer.

This is not the X-Men getting their jollies going around killing people. This is kill-or-be-killed. This is self-defense. If the X-Men don't stop Orchis, Orchis will kill every last mutant. And as I keep mentioning... we already know that Orchis will never stop trying to kill every last mutant.

Sabretooth is just a serial killer.
    Queen of Mutants, Mistress of Magnetism, Magnetrix and the MII, Pestilence of the Horsemen of Apocalypse, the Krakoan Oracle and creator of the Sanctus Sacrum Tournament Key, the Threshold Seed Shaper, Brood Queen of the Fall of the House of X, Lorna Sally Dane, Ph.D., of the House of M, Polaris of the X-Men

One can respond to a threat to their house giving a warning shot or shooting (if necessary) the intruder without aiming for every limb just to make them suffer and take pleasure in it. I'm all for them responding to the whole thing, it's reached a boiling point. The key difference here is that Lorna is not just wiping them out (which is also debatable but I'll leave it at that), she's savoring them being eaten alive.
    You and Icefanatic dont know that. Its quite a leap based off oa preview that does not show the aftermath of this. Id wait to make judgement till I see at least the next few pages. The writing may actually let us in her thoughts and feelings about this

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    I dunno what to say, Psych1c. Try harder.
    Perfect choice of profile picture, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    You and Icefanatic dont know that. Its quite a leap based off oa preview that does not show the aftermath of this. Id wait to make judgement till I see at least the next few pages. The writing may actually let us in her thoughts and feelings about this
    You are correct, I don't know and I hope I'm wrong about the outcome. So far we have her arriving with a smirk on her face and unleashing the Brood. Now I know Lorna is not too fond of humans, I'm just hoping for a little mercy coming from her.

Mercy to people trying to actively kill her with assault rifles? Mercy to people committing genocide on her species? Mercy to people who have only promised, and shown, that they will not be stopped until they kill every last one of her kind?

And y'all act like there could be no meaning other than pleasure behind a smirk. Take a psych class while you focus all this attention on one tiny panel without the full context. Have you never heard of apologetic grins or remorseful smirks? "I'm sorry to have to do this."

Would this panel feel safer to you if she came storming in with tears down her cheeks, as if she'd been hysterically crying for the last month?

Or would you just rather actions like this not be taken, and instead, let Orchis finish the job they started in systematically taking out all of mutant kind?

Should we end the X-franchise here?
    Queen of Mutants, Mistress of Magnetism, Magnetrix and the MII, Pestilence of the Horsemen of Apocalypse, the Krakoan Oracle and creator of the Sanctus Sacrum Tournament Key, the Threshold Seed Shaper, Brood Queen of the Fall of the House of X, Lorna Sally Dane, Ph.D., of the House of M, Polaris of the X-Men

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

I took Lorna’s small smile as a reaction to the genocidal monster’s reference of and reliance on Blightswill. Orchis is still so sure of themselves that they’ll get to murder more Mutants. It’s no different than I’ve seen in a ton of movies where the arrogant villain thinks they have the upper hand and the hero gives them a nasty surprise that they can make plans, too, like Bruce Willis having a gun taped to his back.

Lorna’s like, “Blightswill? To me … my Brood”. I love seeing Nazis get their comeuppance.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post

I think it also hits up on the identity issue of the X-Men as both a Superhero comic and a sci-fi fantasy comic

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it also hits up on the identity issue of the X-Men as both a Superhero comic and a sci-fi fantasy comic
    Destroying Star Ships with hundreds to thousands of people aboard is not exactly new for Lorna.

Her actions on this space station are more personal, but with the same outcome.

You are correct, I don't know and I hope I'm wrong about the outcome. So far we have her arriving with a smirk on her face and unleashing the Brood. Now I know Lorna is not too fond of humans, I'm just hoping for a little mercy coming from her.
    Mercy? They are actively trying to kill her. The only reason she isnt dead is bc she has a shield up but htey mention using Blightswill which will mess up her powers and get her killed. The fact is if Lorna wanted to revel in kiling them, her powers allow her to redirect all those bullets back at them. Her mercy is in not killing them herself (which she can). All she did was bring other soldiers with her. Orchis has the means to shoot and kill the Brood. They arent defenseless. Lorna isnt actively killing anyway. She's standing back holding the station in place and letting both sides go at each other