Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    Ben Reilly returning to his Scarlet Spider persona after cosplay for two years as Chasm
    Just in time for the 30th anniversary of the 2nd Clone Saga this summer (feel old yet ? ).

ASM #50 (or #950) : The Green Goblin versus Peter & Ben (1996 style) ?

Spectacular Member

This whole gang war, it has felt like Peter really hasn't had any agency. He's just been a bystander in his own book. This after the big premise for Peter in this arc (in first strike) was Peter taking more responsibility as a hero again. I know we still have 2 issues left to parse through, but the general sketch of what's going to happen is pretty clear. Go to park -> fight -> some kind of twist with magic to start issue 44 -> resolution. Really hard to see how Peter has been anything other than a shmuck this whole time.

This problem feels compounded by the possibility that Tombstone comes out as the big bad after Gang War. Like if that happens, then Gang War is a bit of a rehash of what happened at the beginning of this run. With Tombstone manipulating Peter to serve his own ends and solidify his own power. And like I guess there's nothing fundamentally wrong with Peter resolving to be a better hero after the book emphasizes that he has been a bit of a **** hero since the beginning of well's run. But like, I'm not having fun, it's hard to see when I will start having fun with Spider-Man stories again, and I just can't imagine that Wells is having to much fun either.

I've been saying this before - Gang War should've had it's own title. At least it would've made more sense making Spidey a cameo character.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quill-Han-Vos View Post
    Just in time for the 30th anniversary of the 2nd Clone Saga this summer (feel old yet ? ).
    IDK, I've been getting the Clone Saga and Ben Reilly Omnibuses so I kind of feel like a kid again when I read through them.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

overall its a good issue got a good performance by Peter. Guess its going to concluded next issue
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

Web of Spider-Man's FORESHADOW variant (Tombstone as the new Kingpin of Crime, Norman as The Green Goblin and Ben Reilly returning to his Scarlet Spider persona after cosplay for two years as Chasm):

It's just a comment, but MAYBE Green Goblin is NOT Norman. I mean, if that entity is now an independent being of Norman, maybe it's in a cloned body or something. Yes, I know it's unlikely, but I suppose the status quo's shift will be turned when we reach ASM #1000.

Just read the issue. Well...
    spoilers:
    Not much to be excited about. Pete got some good hits in. In the end, Tombstone clips Janice's wings and knocks her out.
    end of spoilers

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Me: *dissolves into a pile of goo*
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hoshinocomet View Post
    Just read the issue. Well...
    spoilers:
    Not much to be excited about. Pete got some good hits in. In the end, Tombstone clips Janice's wings and knocks her out.
    end of spoilers
    I think that for this story to work for me, Lonnie needed to be a larger reoccuring figure throughout this run. But after that intro arc Tombstone got shunted to the background to make room for everything Chasm, Paul, Good Guy!Norman Osborn, Kamala's temporary death.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I think that for this story to work for me, Lonnie needed to be a larger reoccuring figure throughout this run. But after that intro arc Tombstone got shunted to the background to make room for everything Chasm, Paul, Good Guy!Norman Osborn, Kamala's temporary death.
    Yet Tombstone still feels more like the main character of this arc than Spider-Man.

Like Wells is treating Peter like he's actually important, lets him fight the "Big Bad" (who he barely interacts with in general), but come next issue Tombstone will probably steal the show.

ASM #50 (or #950) : The Green Goblin versus Peter & Ben (1996 style) ?
    I’ll believe it when I see it. With this out of touch editorial, I’m willing to bet it’ll come with a boat load of monkey’s paws.
    Last edited by Kurolegacy; 02-14-2024 at 06:22 PM.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yet Tombstone still feels more like the main character of this arc than Spider-Man.

Like Wells is treating Peter like he's actually important, lets him fight the "Big Bad" (who he barely interacts with in general), but come next issue Tombstone will probably steal the show.
    Like on paper, Tombstone's characterization is actually pretty good here, but I feel like it'd only really work if he had been the big overarching villain of the run so far. lol

Though that's also ironically been the case with Norman Osborn too. Feels like this book would rather be about anyone other than Pete. And when it is, it's actually better and that's the sad part.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Astonishing Member

Like on paper, Tombstone's characterization is actually pretty good here, but I feel like it'd only really work if he had been the big overarching villain of the run so far. lol

Though that's also ironically been the case with Norman Osborn too. Feels like this book would rather be about anyone other than Pete. And when it is, it's actually better and that's the sad part.
    Sad part is, even Norman and Lonnie had almost no development either. There's not impact when they reassume their old roles

It's kind of impressive how the most consistent part of Wells' run, when everything else is so inconsistent, is how little it is actually about Peter Parker as a character.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's kind of impressive how the most consistent part of Wells' run, when everything else is so inconsistent, is how little it is actually about Peter Parker as a character.
    Say what you will about Nick Spencer's run, but aside from possibly being intended to undo One More Day before editorial caught on, he did at least try to say a lot about where Peter Parker had gone wrong or astray as a character, even analyzing whether or not he'd actually lived up to his (Uncle Ben's) motto that "with great power, there must also come great responsibility."
    The spider is always on the hunt.