Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To mean this Bishop feels more like a female counterpart of Baxter Stockman.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

OCS with no artwork: Amazing Gal ( Meta) , Johnny Wolf ( human) , Fang ( Anthropomorphic Great Dane), Helga Stonewall ( Troll/ Bearfolk), Victoria Stonewall ( Troll / Bearfolk), Jenkins Stonewall , Sophia Stonewall ( Troll / Bearfolk), David Stonewall , The Amazon Queen Corinethia Xykiaff ( Troll / Bearfolk), Rocky Stonewall, Barracus Stonewall ( Troll / Bearfolk), Bell Stonewall ( Troll / Bearfolk),

Quote Originally Posted by bruceleegreyhulk View Post
    Yeah. And since they already used Stockman, they needed another character to play the mad scientist.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    IDW actually adapted him from the 2003 cartoon series, so it's just yet another adaptation and I don't see why it's sad. What's wrong with Bishop being a woman?
    Nothing's wrong with Bishop being a woman so much as this version seems nothing like Bishop.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Nothing's wrong with Bishop being a woman so much as this version seems nothing like Bishop.
    This. It is a sad "in name only" name grab not really resembling the character.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    "Name grab?" It's Bishop - how many people really care?(I don't) It's a by-product of any franchise that goes this long and gets so many reboots. They're not going to repeat the exact same thing that's been done before (how many times has their origin been retooled?)- it's not sad, just the nature of the beast.

Quote Originally Posted by bruceleegreyhulk View Post
    Bishop was already Baxter-lite, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Yeah. And since they already used Stockman, they needed another character to play the mad scientist.
    And gender swap helps differentiate further.
    VvvvV
    "Name grab?" It's Bishop - how many people really care?(I don't) It's a by-product of any franchise that goes this long and gets so many reboots. They're not going to repeat the exact same thing that's been done before (how many times has their origin been retooled?)- it's not sad, just the nature of the beast.
    This ^^^

We already had some swaps to other mutants this adaption, a derivative character getting a new coat of paint in a new gender is not world ending.
    "When you've got so much to say, it's called gratitude /
    And that's right."
    -- Beastie Boys

Also keep in mind, this Bishop might end up related to a rebooted version of that other Bishop anyway - we don't know yet.

I mean, I personally care. Feels like they're robbing a lot of what made the character cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Other than opposing the Turtles, wearing glasses, and being human...no? I mean, they did work together but that was about it.

You wouldn't see Stockman wrecking the Turtles hand-to-hand like Bishop.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

We already had some swaps to other mutants this adaption, a derivative character getting a new coat of paint in a new gender is not world ending.
    No, Bishop isn't Baxter lite. The gender swap isn't the issue. For crying out loud just pause your -isms and listen.
    That clip didn't show a Bishop like character, maybe more footage will but with what is seen I'm allowed(and Frontier also) to think this is a poor use of the name Bishop on this character.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Also keep in mind, this Bishop might end up related to a rebooted version of that other Bishop anyway - we don't know yet.
    Could just be some name they chose and unrelated

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, I personally care. Feels like they're robbing a lot of what made the character cool.

Other than opposing the Turtles, wearing glasses, and being human...no? I mean, they did work together but that was about it.

You wouldn't see Stockman wrecking the Turtles hand-to-hand like Bishop.
    Thanks for the clarification, I could not remember.

Currently re-reading Mirage turtles with my daughter, so that's where my mind is at.
    No, Bishop isn't Baxter lite. The gender swap isn't the issue. For crying out loud just pause your -isms and listen.
    That clip didn't show a Bishop like character, maybe more footage will but with what is seen I'm allowed(and Frontier also) to think this is a poor use of the name Bishop on this character.
    Don't understand the bolded part?

Never said you can't have your opinion? Just that I don't understand the outrage.

Leatherhead is a way more prominent character than Bishop and I don't recall an uproar over the gender swap. It was quite fine IMHO as it didn't change anything.

I also don't frequent TMNT places, so not saying it was present.
    "When you've got so much to say, it's called gratitude /
    And that's right."
    -- Beastie Boys

Maybe tell the anti-wokers to pause their isms. Based on very little information, you described this Bishop as being "butchered" with zero explanation of what you meant - it wasn't an outrageous question to ask, given the current climate of knee-jerk hate against this kind of re-imagining of characters.

Maybe tell the anti-wokers to pause their isms. Based on very little information, you described this Bishop as being "butchered" with zero explanation of what you meant - it wasn't an outrageous question to ask, given the current climate of knee-jerk hate against this kind of re-imagining of characters.
    Ya I didn't understand he's issues either I really didn't see much of Bishop in the trailer to say it's good or bad....

Astonishing Member

Is this in the new movie universe?
    Yeah, it's a direct follow-up to Mutant Mayhem, same voice cast and all.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I mean, we barely saw the new Bishop do anything in the trailer...what was there to be so upset about? She has like 6 seconds of screen time total and it consists of shouting, "Mechazoids...attack!" and then ominously saying, "All mutants must die." ...which of those tiny moments made it clear to you that the character had been butchered?
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 06-13-2024 at 03:05 AM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I mean, we barely saw the new Bishop do anything in the trailer...what was there to be so upset about? She has like 6 seconds of screen time total and it consists of shouting, "Mechazoids...attack!" and then ominously saying, "All mutants must die." ...which of those tiny moments made it clear to you that the character had been butchered?
    I wouldn't use the term butchered but the the design, the robots, the Mech Suit, just really don't feel like Bishop.

If we had some serious and composed lady in a suit and sunglasses wrecking the Turtles hand-to-hand, now that would've been Bishop.