Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Artist who began a DC book with mediocre art but improved tremendously

Some artists don't have the best beginnings. But given time, they evolve into signature artwork for the book.

What artist began a DC book with mediocre art but evolved into a great, maybe a even signature artist for the book?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Some artists don't have the best beginnings. But given time, they evolve into signature artwork for the book.

What artist began a DC book with mediocre art but evolved into a great, maybe a even signature artist for the book?
    I think Leonard Kirk improved a great deal during his run on Supergirl. He had to follow Gary Frank's run -- which were big shoes to fill. He really came into his own by the end of his run before Ed Benes replaced him. His work on JSA was very good.

As much as I love Olivier Coipel's work at Marvel, don't think he improved much during his Legion run. He had an odd style and I would never have imagined him improving as much as he did.

Kevin Maguire‘s art was never mediocre, but it visibly improved during his run on JL/JLI.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Kevin Maguire‘s art was never mediocre, but it visibly improved during his run on JL/JLI.

https://i.ibb.co/rFgWn3H/IMG-3317.jpg
    I know, right?! I feel the same way about Stuart Immonen, but I can understand why others might think differently...

"Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

One thing that needs to be asked is: what percentage does the inker have in the transformation of an artist from mediocre to tremendous improvement?
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    One thing that needs to be asked is: what percentage does the inker have in the transformation of an artist from mediocre to tremendous improvement?
    ^^^A huge part, in my opinion, but how huge is a case by case basis and there are lot of factors at work.

That deserves its own topic really.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^A huge part, in my opinion, but how huge is a case by case basis and there are lot of factors at work.

That deserves its own topic really.
    Definitely agree. The artist-inker relationship is fascinating to me.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Chris Bachalo's art started out okay, but pretty standard Vertigo style at the beginning of "Shade, the Changing Man" but a couple dozen issues in, he developed into a great graphic illustrator - especially by the time he did "Death: High Cost of Living."

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Howard Porters JLA, I don’t think he was mediocre but it took a 2nd and 3rd reread for me to get it! He came back later and reinvented his style and it is equally impressive and unique. He was always great and I had to come around.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Daniel Sampere. While never really mediocre... I found his work to be just decent, however the work he's been producing on Wonder Woman has been mind blowing.
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I think Leonard Kirk improved a great deal during his run on Supergirl. He had to follow Gary Frank's run -- which were big shoes to fill. He really came into his own by the end of his run before Ed Benes replaced him. His work on JSA was very good.

As much as I love Olivier Coipel's work at Marvel, don't think he improved much during his Legion run. He had an odd style and I would never have imagined him improving as much as he did.
    I'll have to disagree on that. Back when Olivier started on the ongoing Legion of Superheroes book, his art was pretty rough:

By the time he finished Legion Lost and started on the new Legion ongoing, his art became extremely polished and he had grown by leaps and bounds compared to his beginnings:

He would continue to improve further once he moved to Marvel but I think his growth throughout the various Legion books he was on for the first couple of years is still very remarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I'll have to disagree on that. Back when Olivier started on the ongoing Legion of Superheroes book, his art was pretty rough:

By the time he finished Legion Lost and started on the new Legion ongoing, his art became extremely polished and he had grown by leaps and bounds compared to his beginnings:

He would continue to improve further once he moved to Marvel but I think his growth throughout the various Legion books he was on for the first couple of years is still very remarkable.
    ^^^Damn, that IS a visible improvement.

Fantastic Member

Neil Adams artwork was a marked improvement from when he started in the mid-60s to the early 70s. It probably helps that a lot of his early stuff was licensed tie-in properties like Jerry Lewis that had to have an established look.

I absolutely agree about Coipel's time on the Legion. However, it's possible part of the change was the different tone of those stories. The Blight storyline as well as "Legion Lost" were dark stories. By the time the "Legion" title was launched, the team was back together and it had a more optimistic tone.

Quote Originally Posted by SturdyMike89 View Post
    Neil Adams artwork was a marked improvement from when he started in the mid-60s to the early 70s. It probably helps that a lot of his early stuff was licensed tie-in properties like Jerry Lewis that had to have an established look.
    Was there a particular book where he demonstrated a marked improvement? That seems to be the theme of this thread.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I absolutely agree about Coipel's time on the Legion. However, it's possible part of the change was the different tone of those stories. The Blight storyline as well as "Legion Lost" were dark stories. By the time the "Legion" title was launched, the team was back together and it had a more optimistic tone.

Was there a particular book where he demonstrated a marked improvement? That seems to be the theme of this thread.
    For me the improvement comes from The Brave and The Bold #85 the classic team up of Batman with Green Arrow. His art had been sharpening on covers for awhile, but I think this is where he came into his own.