Mighty Member

Default So what would Captain America do

seeing Patton slapping the shell shocked soldier? A sock to Patton's jaw or a cold stare down leaving old "blood and guts" with jelly legs?

BANNED

Seriously dude?

I am lost. A little context please?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    I am lost. A little context please?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geor...ping_incidents
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    seeing Patton slapping the shell shocked soldier? A sock to Patton's jaw or a cold stare down leaving old "blood and guts" with jelly legs?
    Cap I think most likely would still respect the chain of command. No way in hell would he condone what he did, but I don't think he would attack him. I do think however that he would pull Patton aside and let him know what he thought of him and the situation. This is the kind of story I could actually see Marvel publish now as a one-shot. Especially if they tied the shell-shocked soldier's issues with Cap's own issues with PTSD a theme Marvel could explore a little more often IMHO.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by SturdyMike89 View Post
    Cap I think most likely would still respect the chain of command. No way in hell would he condone what he did, but I don't think he would attack him. I do think however that he would pull Patton aside and let him know what he thought of him and the situation. This is the kind of story I could actually see Marvel publish now as a one-shot. Especially if they tied the shell-shocked soldier's issues with Cap's own issues with PTSD a theme Marvel could explore a little more often IMHO.
    Yeah, that's probably the right answer.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Yeah, that's probably the right answer.
    Indeed. The Captain is a hero and leader, but in that time he was more a solldier. And a soldier obeys chain of command.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Mighty Member

Sounds about right.

Captain America isn't real. He never punched hitler, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    Captain America isn't real. He never punched hitler, either.
    That’s a lie
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

He'd probably stand up to Patton as a moral move as well as a way to retain morale amongst soldiers.

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    That’s a lie
    Comic Books aren't real.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    Comic Books aren't real.
    Are you?

I am real. You are real. Patton was real. Captain America is not real.

Proposing some fantasy where Captain America shows a man who was born in the century before the last one 'whose boss' because his behavior offends some modern sensibility is just...lame. Lame as hell.

Was Patton an *******? By most accounts, yes. Did his actions bring a swifter end to a horrible war? By most accounts, yes.

Was there some star spangled super steroid soldier instrumental in winning the war? No, there was not. Just regular standard men who bleed and die when shot, who wore regular uniforms, who mostly weren't American and for the most part suffered horribly.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SturdyMike89 View Post
    It would most likely be something like this. The real issue is that I don't think we ever got to see Steve dealing with soldiers who were "Shell Shocked" in the context of the time created. Would he have been the guy saying "we need to get these guys out of here for treatment" or would he say "We need all the soldiers we can get. We need to get these guys back on the line." Would he have slapped as soldier himself? Probably not. But the understanding of human psychology back then is not what it is today. In WW1 and WW2 a lot of people...and most especially the military establishment...had a one size fits all mentality when it came to troops. If all these guys are doing fine and you aren't..then the problem is you not the conditions.

I also think if someone was to try to write a story of Cap in WW2 being the guy advocating for troops being relieved for weeks of months of therapy would fall flat as it would be a story written by modern sensibilities. But if they were to write a story where Cap in WW2 is trying to motivate and push guys who are already broken and compare that to modern Cap knowing what we do now and looking back on it with the thought that 'we needed to get those men out of there' it might come off better.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?