Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default X-Men Unlimited #126 - Fall of X #6 - Review/Spoilers

We open at what is called His Majesty's Young Mutant Containment Facility outside London. It's nighttime and the courtyard in the middle of the facility is empty until...

Shatterstar: Nice work-around, Elizabeth..."

Betsy suggests that Shatterstar could do with a few more friends saying that his portal'ing would be more versatile if it wasn't stuck bouncing between her, Rictor, Dani, and Layla as anchors. He jokes that Thunderbird seems like a promising new companion and Julio is like hey now. Betsy tells them to knock it off, saying they've arrived to liberate imprisoned young mutants. But she notices that they haven't been greeted by guards or alarms yet. Star notes that a door has been left open which they walk through. It's dark and quiet and Julio wonders if it's a trap after the show Betsy put on for the news. She says bureaucracy doesn't work that fast. She doesn't sense anyone inside but warns them to step cautiously anyway.

As they move deeper into the facility they come across a dead guard on the ground, burning and melting. They're at the top of some stairs with a view of the cell block below. There are bloodied/dead guards laying throughout the block. Looking closer at the melting body Rictor says if one of the mutant children is responsible, though justified in their actions, it would look very bad. Betsy agrees saying if a mutant child massacred the guards Scott's trial would seem like mild discourse.

Rictor notes that the cameras are out and finds a bone stuck in one of them. He asks if anyone has heard from Marrow lately. Betsy replies that Dani has been in contact with Marrow since they returned from Vanaheim but Betsy doesn't think this is Marrow's style. Shatterstar, looking inside one of the now empty cells, says it's beyond Marrow's skill set. The cells weren't pried open, they were melted by something very hot.

"... and they're still here."

In another part of the facility mutant children are being herded single file into a purple portal. A shadowy figure tells the children to take it from him, that their fate has been long written and cruel as a slow knife. One of the children trips and falls. The figure grabs them by the power-dampening collar around their neck. He asks if the child is a fool and the child replies, "Let go of me!"

"... I envy you." It's Absalom of the Externals! He tosses the child through the purple portal. We then see Nicodemus, who tells Absalom not to be too arch with the children as Selene prefers to terrorize them herself. It's her sole joy. Absalom asks what is Selene going to do, kill him? He wishes he could be so lucky. Selene has made them her pets and he can't imagine a worse role. Behind him one of our heroes says, "I hear punching bag's still available."

Nicodemus notes that Burke's vision was off, that Betsy and the others were meant to arrive in seven minutes. The seer is still young.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Nicodemus throws up flames between them and says they've already taken what they need from the petty prison and that they'll be on their way. However Rictor summons the ground to block the Externals from the portal behind them. Nicodemus says he recognizes Julio as En Sabah Nur's most obedient druid. "Did you not boil us in magma to build Apocalypse's portal from our bones?"

Big fight ahead. So we have confirmation that Selene is forcing the Externals to do her bidding and Absalom is certainly not happy about it. Great use of Betsy's powers once again and I love the references to Marrow and the External Gate.

I so love Rictor and Shatterstar's new look.
    Love how the artist uses the Unlimited format. I much prefer this one than the other.
    Selene is puppetteering the Externals... cannot wait to see Candra, then.

Ultimate Member

Unless the helmet is armor it's odd that Betsy would wear it given that it doesn't conceal her identity or anything like that. And another reminder that Rictor and Shatterstar are gay...

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Unless the helmet is armor it's odd that Betsy would wear it given that it doesn't conceal her identity or anything like that. And another reminder that Rictor and Shatterstar are gay...
    Why did Brian wear a helmet ? It's just part of the costume. Like the cape. It's also a recall to one of her former costumes.

Shatterstar and Rictor have been in flirty/jealous relationship for more than ten years yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    Why did Brian wear a helmet ? It's just part of the costume. Like the cape. It's also a recall to one of her former costumes.

Shatterstar and Rictor have been in flirty/jealous relationship for more than ten years yep.
    Yes indeed. Betsy was appearing on television without the helmet when she was trying to play nice with the media. She put it on as she made her statement last issue to show she's no longer playing by their rules.

A set-up issue, but great nonetheless. I love how effortlessly it ties into the other events in this era - it makes everything feel connected, which Fall of X has lacked a bit. Betsy continues to be awesome and her using her powers to enhance Shatterstar’s teleportation was cool. Looking forward to the battle next issue.
    "When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — No, you move."

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Grayson View Post
    A set-up issue, but great nonetheless. I love how effortlessly it ties into the other events in this era - it makes everything feel connected, which Fall of X has lacked a bit. Betsy continues to be awesome and her using her powers to enhance Shatterstar’s teleportation was cool. Looking forward to the battle next issue.
    That was very cool. I love how she's being written and her witty attitude is on point. The Steves continue to deliver with this story.

The inclusion of the X-Men candidate Unlimited stories with the Hellfire Gala trade has me hopeful that most(?) of these incredible Unlimited Fall tie-in's will also see print within the Fall trades.

This issue is terrific! So rich with continuity. Also really nice to see the bonds that grew between these three over the Krakoan era continue here.

Astonishing Member

One might wonder if Marvel Universe' Charles III. will take offense at the facility being named in his honor, or if princess Anne is currently protesting to have it shut down?

Oh nice, the hunch that the figure seen one on of the preview images was Absalom was actualy right.

So he got a power upgrade?
    Because if memory serves me right his powers only ever involved spikes growing out of his body, not bone growths he could shape at will.

Considering she got name dropped and acknowledged, it's somewhat amusing that a seeming upgrade to his powers would result in him developing a resemblance to Marrow, since he is a mighty ancient external and she is considered a runt by many in universe and often disregarded by writers.

Though funny enough he now has to compete with Jon Ironfire in terms of powers and visuals.
    Last edited by Grunty; 02-12-2024 at 06:05 AM.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Love the new look of Absalom, don't like the new look of Nicodemus. It looks like a totally different character.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Love the new look of Absalom, don't like the new look of Nicodemus. It looks like a totally different character.
    He's in his Zaddy era. When you're immortal you wanna change it up from time to time.

I've been enjoying digging into the history of the Externals while reading this story. Here's some stuff about Absalom from a wiki:

In his youth, Absalom was an arrogant and impulsive person.[2] During his first death, he wished that if he could do his life over again, he'll do it right, but after he woke up, despite never returning to the man he had been, he never found the strength to be the one he wanted to be.[2] It was even stated he kept using violence to achieve his goals.[8]

Later, he remained pretty much the same: arrogant, impulsive.[7][2] (As Nicodemus stated, "we are immortal. No one ever said that would bring enlightenment").[7] He was deemed to be the despair component of the Externals.[2]

Despite those traits, Absalom was able to apologize and even be humble towards others and himself.[2]

That temperament caused Gideon to hate him, while Externals like Nicodemus forgave him that behavior,[7] but watched him with care (as they did for Crule).
    Last edited by JB; 02-12-2024 at 09:47 AM.

I’m not super familiar with any of the Externals outside of Selene and Candra so I’m glad they’re getting a spotlight before this issue concludes. Also makes sense they wouldn’t give a damn about these mutant kids. W/o Krakoa there’s no need to play nice AND they know they’ll outlive the Orchis threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I’m not super familiar with any of the Externals outside of Selene and Candra so I’m glad they’re getting a spotlight before this issue concludes. Also makes sense they wouldn’t give a damn about these mutant kids. W/o Krakoa there’s no need to play nice AND they know they’ll outlive the Orchis threat.
    It's nice timing that the current Cerebro podcast episode is about Candra and they talk a bit about the Externals. Because they're immortal it's like how much would they ever really care about current events, you know? They're an interesting bunch that I think deserve more exploration.

Spectacular Member Solitaryhawk's Avatar

Thanks for providing us these updates.

I don't subscribe to this online comic, but I'm enjoying seeing the return of my two favorite boys so much I might just start! I find the artist seems to be enjoying the team-ups as well. The art for the Proudstar boys was pretty rough in comparison. I wish the Marvel office could make up their mind about 'Star's teleportation and remove the need for an anchor entirely. It used to be reserved solely for intimate partners and family (Rictor, Layla Miller and Longshot.) Tini Howard added Bei (with absolutely no context how) and now Dani and Betsy are included in the roster? I wasn't under the impression it was an ability that could be altered or directed by a telepath, but I suppose anything is possible nowadays.