Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default should Exiles be discussed here or in an X-Men thread?

I mean, at this point they've had as many Avengers on the team as Uncanny Avengers had mutants so, kind of a grey area...

I'll say this much: Blink and Nocturne are both awesome characters... this book has generally done a better job with multiverse ideas than a lot of other stories based on the same premise... and was doing so long before Hollywood made it trendy or whatever... I'd love to see what other kinds of wacky realities and teammates the two of them could wind up with in future stories, and there's a lot to chew on from their past if anyone wants a little nostalgia in the mix

eXiles had a lot of X-characters, but not JUST X-characters.

^^^This.

Plus, I honestly think the conversation would be more interesting here than in the X-forum.

Plus, they started out in the ultraverse and was not a x-men team.

That's what I was going to say. The first team was a Malibu comic, so that comes under Marvel but not X-Men. And the most recent version wasn't an X team either, it was an Avengers office book with only two members, Blink and a toon version of Wolverine, who were X affiliated. That team had versions of Black Panther, Ms. Marvel (long before Kamala was revealed to be a mutant), Captain America, Bucky, Valkyrie, and Iron Lad. Definitely more Avengers than X-Men. So two out of four Exiles teams were not X-Men teams.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Plus, they started out in the ultraverse and was not a x-men team.
    I must add than technically there were TWO Ultraverse Exiles teams. The first one short lived, composed only of ultras and the second one had three X-Men related members. The team has changed so much from editorial to nature of the members, I think it would be valid to think it is a shared title more than just a X-Men only title.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That's what I was going to say. The first team was a Malibu comic, so that comes under Marvel but not X-Men. And the most recent version wasn't an X team either, it was an Avengers office book with only two members, Blink and a toon version of Wolverine, who were X affiliated. That team had versions of Black Panther, Ms. Marvel (long before Kamala was revealed to be a mutant), Captain America, Bucky, Valkyrie, and Iron Lad. Definitely more Avengers than X-Men. So two out of four Exiles teams were not X-Men teams.
    yeah I just finished that run, quite enjoyed it. Wolvie was fun

I think it only ended because the writer, Saladin Ahmed, who was already on Miles Morales, took over Kamala's book as well. He created a post-apocalyptic middle aged Khan, then got to write the mainstream teenage version!
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I think it only ended because the writer, Saladin Ahmed, who was already on Miles Morales, took over Kamala's book as well. He created a post-apocalyptic middle aged Khan, then got to write the mainstream teenage version!
    good for him, not so good for us... lol. I would have enjoyed that book as an on-going. it was actually the first time I enjoyed reading Kamala, tbh. the backstory of that version and more detail on how she got to that point from where she started would be interesting to see more fleshed out, since it's such a drastic turn for tha character.

and I'm sorry, but Wolvie was just too damn cute.

the cast was juggled well in terms of giving everyone enough character moments to get you invested in all of them

too bad it had to end, but, at least it's a concept/franchise that's open to further exploration

Remember the good old days when books like avengers and thor didn't end if a writer left and just continued with another writer and didn't start over at issue 1 every 7 months. Those were the good old days.

Remember the good old days when books like avengers and thor didn't end if a writer left and just continued with another writer and didn't start over at issue 1 every 7 months. Those were the good old days.
    I can see both sides to this argument. I totally get what you're saying...

but at the same time, taking the reigns on an existing series almost always meant needing to deal with/wrap up ideas their predecessors had left behind... whereas, starting fresh with a new #1 issue lets the new writer "hit the ground running" on their own story and not be worried about someone else's "baggage"

there's something to be said for both...

ultimately tho, I think we are where we are now because of streaming, social media and online culture in general; and the effect it has all had on people's long-term attention spans

for better or worse, I don't see that changing anytime soon.

it's also hard to argue the idea that a new #1 let's potential readers know they can get a full story without having to track down a bunch of back issues to make sense of it all. casual fans don't have time in their lives for longer-format serial story-telling these days, and the industry is already running on fumes... making things byzantine and inaccessible again would just be the last nail in the coffin at this point.

Requested dr aphra vol 1 and 2 trades from our public library. They were confused as they had multiple vol 1 and vol 2 trades on what to get! Lucky, they got the right vols.

Knew people at the comic shop who were annoyed as they wanted to start a comic series but between 8 vol 1s and 100 different covers of issue 1 from each they were lost over 60s avengers vol 1 just going in number order with no trouble. Action comics didn't make it to issue 1000 by starting over every five months and great writers had no trouble wrapping up old plots to start new ones. Why can't writers today? If a book sells don't end it when a writer left, or we won't get new writers takes like bryne on ff or peter david on hulk.

Heroes reborn really started this mess.

Action nearly didn't make it to 1000 - it relaunched with a new #1 in 2011, but in 2016 reverted to the original numbering, picking up where it would've been had it never renumbered. Detective did the same. They only reached 1000 because they decided to disregard that they ever relaunched at all.

A few other books also had legacy numbering but have since relaunched - but like Marvel, they now have a legacy number on the cover as well. Flash and Wonder Woman are both Issue ## LGY 8##, as they reached issue 800 just prior to their relaunches. That dual numbering is the best of both worlds. The trades should really be marketed as character by writer, volume number. If Carol's trades were called Captain Marvel by Kelly Sue DeConnick Vol 1, Captain Marvel by Kelly Thompson Vol 1, and not just Captain Marvel Vol 1: Subtitle, it'd be harder to confuse them. DC does do that, but not Marvel.

…Action comics didn't make it to issue 1000 by starting over every five months and great writers had no trouble wrapping up old plots to start new ones. Why can't writers today? If a book sells don't end it when a writer left, or we won't get new writers takes like bryne on ff or peter david on hulk.
    ^^^Very true.
    I’ve complained about this before at different sites (including this one I’m pretty sure), and always get blown off for the silliest of reasons.

One of the silliest is, continual number ones help readers know a new creative team is taking over.

I’m sorry what?
    How hard do these comics fans need their hands held for that to be the case.

Heroes reborn really started this mess.
    ^^^Damn, I never realized that but yeah, that’s about when it started.

Always thought the way Champions relaunched was dumb. Zub initially just picked up from issue 19, then after issue 27 it relaunched with a new #1. It was then cancelled at #10. It should've relaunched when Zub took over, not half way through his run.