Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Maybe there was a point to be made about the X-Men dehumanising their enemies, calling them “animals”, and adopting their violent tactics - all in the name of revenge over an attack on their homeland. Then again, this is definitely not a a book that could have pulled that off.

This was not good. Other than Lorna's scenes and Manifold interacting with Lactuca.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I think Duggan did a good enough job at selling Kate killing Orchis soldiers back at the Hellfire Gala. I think Kate can be more ruthless than Kurt but she wouldn't just kill people needlessly, and Duggan understood that and framed it so Kate was forced to kill in order to keep her tactical advantage of being able to use the gates a secret and use it to save mutant lives. That was a good enough explanation for me for an otherwise out of character act. But without any context here, it's hard to justify seeing Nightcrawler kill people so nonchalantly.
    Yeah I'm going to be annoyed if there isn't any mention/follow-up to Kurt's actions. If they simply move on without addressing it in some way then I'm gonna memory hole it and pretend it never happened for my own sake. (Like I've done for most of the R&G mini.)
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Ultimate Member

I'm surprised to see Kurt straight up murder a man.

That seems out of character for him.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Yeah I'm going to be annoyed if there isn't any mention/follow-up to Kurt's actions. If they simply move on without addressing it in some way then I'm gonna memory hole it and pretend it never happened for my own sake. (Like I've done for most of the R&G mini.)
    Oh this is getting memory holed for me whether they bother to explain it or not.

Mighty Member

Seriously, even if Orchis are evil, seeing mutants (even nightcrawler) killing lot of humans, don't take prisoners, torture them, put them on leash, treating them as subhumans, just like they do... It deeply unsettles me. I remember a time when heroes, even in the face of absolute evil, maintained their ethics. Given the international situation, we need heroes who act as heroes more than heroes who act as war criminals or terrorists in response to aggression.

Edit:
    I just saw that I'm not the only one thinking this, it reassures me.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Since the story became about a human/AI genocidal war on Mutants and they became the victims of an enemy who is decisively winning.

The writers have put Mutants in a position where not killing would be insane and suicidal. They're killing soldiers during a war, but still trying to protect regular humans.
    No, in this issue (the leash, the smiles, the jokes, how they play with their ennemies...) they kill with pleasure. And in situations where they could easily disarm the humans in front of them. I don't know, this way of dehumanizing the enemy, it reminds me of war scenes we've seen in the past weeks, and it deeply unsettles me.

It's comics; in a year or so, we'll have forgot and moved on to another storyline. But in a series written by better authors, we would be interested in how, after committing such horrible acts, even in the face of monsters, one can still consider themselves heroes.
    Last edited by lordozone; 02-14-2024 at 05:06 PM.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

I'm fine with the violence on the Xmen's end. The Hellfire Gala deaths were also quite violent and gratuitous. The Xmen have lost everything so it doesn't bother me to see them match the same energy their enemies gave them. I'm not saying anything that hasn't already been said, but I also don't think this is anything to be that upset over.

It's not like every event depicts mutants as bloodthirsty and cruel towards their enemies. This will be a rare occurrence and when you have stories like this that have existed for so long and will into known perpetuity, it's fine to do things out the norm every now and then. I think the writers have made a credible scenario where it's not that big a leap to see why the Mutants have responded the way that they have. They've never had a united homeland destroyed before.

Lorna was just perfection. I like how effortless her badassery was. The panel of her demanding the location of Stasis was exquisite. She came to do a job and dammiit she was there to DO IT! Also, when did Manifold start saying "By the goddess?" Storm is NOT amused!
    Last edited by Saturius; 02-14-2024 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I'm surprised to see Kurt straight up murder a man.

That seems out of character for him.
    Out of character moments seem to be the norm since the Krakoa era began.

It's interesting that so many characters seem out of character by so many fans... and yet by and large, Polaris fans are expressing we feel like she's finally being shown truly in-character for some time now.
    Queen of Mutants, Mistress of Magnetism, Magnetrix and the MII, Pestilence of the Horsemen of Apocalypse, the Krakoan Oracle and creator of the Sanctus Sacrum Tournament Key, the Threshold Seed Shaper, Brood Queen of the Fall of the House of X, Lorna Sally Dane, Ph.D., of the House of M, Polaris of the X-Men

Quote Originally Posted by GoingGreen View Post
    It's interesting that so many characters seem out of character by so many fans... and yet by and large, Polaris fans are expressing we feel like she's finally being shown truly in-character for some time now.
    I honestly think its bc she's been so ill defined for so long. Traditionally she doesnt have a firm voice as she's been written so inconsistently and often not in the spotlight. Take for example someone like Nightcrawler, Kitty or Jean, Lorna doesnt have a definitive characterization like them IMO. Like if she killed no one here and was trying to be nonlethal, we'd probably say she was written in character too. I think alot of us fans have an idea of what we want for her but unfortunately that never really supported for any significant length of time

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    No, in this issue (the leash, the smiles, the jokes, how they play with their ennemies...) they kill with pleasure. And in situations where they could easily disarm the humans in front of them. I don't know, this way of dehumanizing the enemy, it reminds me of war scenes we've seen in the past weeks, and it deeply unsettles me.

It's comics; in a year or so, we'll have forgot and moved on to another storyline. But in a series written by better authors, we would be interested in how, after committing such horrible acts, even in the face of monsters, one can still consider themselves heroes.
    Same here.

I know and fully understand the X-men's grievances but what happens after this?
    Last edited by Username taken; 02-14-2024 at 06:17 PM.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Same here.

I know and fully understand the X-men's grievances but what happens after this?
    This has to be reset. The Earth is a mess. After what humans en masse have done and supported, how can we care about them, either?

...i am at a loss, see characters like Cable or Wolverine i can buy in them taking lethal action, but seeing Kurt and Piotr? It hurts to watch regardless of the situation because they have been in similar situations where all hell breaks loose but they never went that far as they did in this event. And Lorna leading the Brood to a massacre and saying she wants to kill Firestar? Not my cup of tea, i mean she doesn't even seem apologetic about it instead she goes "Oh that is so Jean!" like she wasn't thinking about killing someone who didn't deserve it. I am not that much of a fan of her but still I hope to god that Firestar is put back on an Avengers book or bring back The Warriors or something and away from the X-men.

Ultimate Member

Except for when Piotr snapped Riptides neck years ago.