Astonishing Member

Default Pick a better MCU Illuminati Team to Face Wanda

Rewatching Wanda kick the Illumanti butt in the Multiverse of Madness movie. So pick a team of six MCU characters that could have faced her. Only constraints - no full Infinity Gauntlet use.

I think a speed blitz might be useful, but her two brothers? Thor, Hela? Brie's Captain Marvel?

The Watcher, Ego, Makkari, Khonshu, Odin

And I really haven’t given that much thought, so it could be terrible.
    Chief Curmudgeon

Fantastic Member

I think if you just remove Reed "Loose Lips" Richards that team could've won. Wanda wasn't familiar with any of them so wouldn't have known Black Bolt's power. If that doesn't work, you could also replace Illuminati Captain Marvel with Brie Captain Marvel. Brie is a LOT tougher, or would at least have survived a statue falling on her.

Astonishing Member

It would be a stretch to removed Reed and bounce him off the team. IIRC, MCU Odin didn't really do that much for feats. Should have suggested Loki?

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Makarri + whoever has the sharpest sword she can steal is probably all you need. Wanda didn't seem to have passive durability or defenses, relying on actively creating shields to block Captain Marvel and Captain Carter alike. I'm not sure if anyone can resist being transmuted if she has time to weave a proper spell, but she evidently couldn't do that while fending off attacks from the two Captains. So just kill her in that window before her synapses fire. I don't really see the point including anyone else because it is unclear how her reality warping would impact people like Ego or Konshu and it ultimately won't matter with the blitz.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Makarri + whoever has the sharpest sword she can steal is probably all you need. Wanda didn't seem to have passive durability or defenses, relying on actively creating shields to block Captain Marvel and Captain Carter alike. I'm not sure if anyone can resist being transmuted if she has time to weave a proper spell, but she evidently couldn't do that while fending off attacks from the two Captains. So just kill her in that window before her synapses fire. I don't really see the point including anyone else because it is unclear how her reality warping would impact people like Ego or Konshu and it ultimately won't matter with the blitz.
    Two issues here :

First is that she DOESN'T need shields some of the time. She got shot by that cannon thing at Kamar Taj and shrugged it off. And more, she escapes the mirror dimension by destroying her own body and it just knits itself back together.

Second, yes, she doesn't transmute the captains in that fight, but that's like a direct definition of PIS: she's shown that she can do that, so not doing that is just to make the fight somewhat more interesting.

I'm not saying that you are wrong in the results, just that the specific points you make are very arguable.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Would it be cheating to pick Vision?

Quote Originally Posted by frankiedetroit View Post
    I think if you just remove Reed "Loose Lips" Richards that team could've won. Wanda wasn't familiar with any of them so wouldn't have known Black Bolt's power. If that doesn't work, you could also replace Illuminati Captain Marvel with Brie Captain Marvel. Brie is a LOT tougher, or would at least have survived a statue falling on her.
    SW sucked all the power out of CM that's why statue was able to kill her FYI.

Spectacular Member

In that particular fight, I'm not sure if her personal durability mattered. She was puppeteering the local Wanda from her home reality, so nothing that they did would actually harm her, and she'd be able to reform the local Wanda.

Someone vaporizing or disintegrating the local Wanda instantly might render her incapable of acting in that world, and Blackbolt and Captain Marvel could have done that if they were taking the fight remotely seriously from the start.

Otherwise, you're going to need someone that can travel to Wanda's actual location just to be able to fight her, which means you'll need Uatu to act as a taxi, and I'm not sure if he'd need anyone else. America is the only other dimensional traveler that comes to mind, and after she gains control of her power, I'm not sure if she'd need anyone else for a dimension dump.

All-New Member

I think the original team could have had a decent shot at beating her if not for PIS. It seems to me the biggest reason for their demise was their arrogance. They probably figured they could handle "a mere witch" after beating Thanos. It also didn't help that the Illuminati were only trying to stop Wanda while she was actively trying to kill them.

Astonishing Member

IIRC, they told Strange they weren't worried because they could handle her. Maybe Reed said that. There is always a problem in movie and TV shows of babbling instead of just pulling the trigger. Classic is James Bond still being alive.

Arriving in front of Wanda for a pose down - dumb. So anime!