Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Point taken about his physique. Still, though, he's seen as a geek and they always like to play with the idea of a studly Namor stealing away Sue. I mean, this guy is a latin lover and a sex symbol in his own country while Reed is considered probably average and old (er). Don't want to start another avalanche (things being said which had nothing to do with Shakespear, assuming I didn't like Hugh etc.). It also sort of says Reed can't be himself so bring in the cool, sexy guy.
    That's not what his casting says to me. One of the reasons he's had a huge surge in popularity lately is based largely on him being a father figure - not a hot stud, or "latin lover." They can certainly bring in a younger, more physically fit guy than Pascal if that's the dynamic they want between him and Namor. Besides, "cool and sexy" are mostly attitude, i.e. acting, which is why Pascal might be fine as Reed and whatsisname might be fine as Johnny. It'll boil down to writing and acting.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    That's not what his casting says to me. One of the reasons he's had a huge surge in popularity lately is based largely on him being a father figure - not a hot stud, or "latin lover." They can certainly bring in a younger, more physically fit guy than Pascal if that's the dynamic they want between him and Namor. Besides, "cool and sexy" are mostly attitude, i.e. acting, which is why Pascal might be fine as Reed and whatsisname might be fine as Johnny. It'll boil down to writing and acting.
    I've been trying to think of all the movies I have seen and thinking of how a live action Reed Richards might act, and have not come up with any examples. Whenever reading the comics, Reed to me has seemed almost robotic, like Data. Reed is basically the scientist's scientist.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    I've been trying to think of all the movies I have seen and thinking of how a live action Reed Richards might act, and have not come up with any examples. Whenever reading the comics, Reed to me has seemed almost robotic, like Data. Reed is basically the scientist's scientist.
    I don't disagree, but that's not why Reed is interesting. Reed comes across like a robot, but he's not - he has layers underneath. Imo, it's smarter to cast someone who can embody the deeper aspects of the character and act the superficial (robotic scientist) part, rather than cast an actor who can play robotic scientist well then get them to attempt the deeper characteristics.

I think the "adaptation" part is important here. Some things come across one way in a comic book than how they can come across in a live action movie. "Cold scientist" can work better on paper than in a two hour movie when you're talking about the hero of your movie. "Good looking ladies man" Johnny can work one way on paper and another onscreen if he's an arrogant pretty-boy who sleeps around and you want audiences to like him. The reason RDJ and his humor worked was because of his qualities that work onscreen, even though Tony Stark was almost never a funny character on the page.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 04-13-2024 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I don't disagree, but that's not why Reed is interesting. Reed comes across like a robot, but he's not - he has layers underneath. Imo, it's smarter to cast someone who can embody the deeper aspects of the character and act the superficial (robotic scientist) part, rather than cast an actor who can play robotic scientist well then get them to attempt the deeper characteristics.

I think the "adaptation" part is important here. Some things come across one way in a comic book than how they can come across in a live action movie. "Cold scientist" can work better on paper than in a two hour movie when you're talking about the hero of your movie. "Good looking ladies man" Johnny can work one way on paper and another onscreen if he's an arrogant pretty-boy who sleeps around and you want audiences to like him. The reason RDJ and his humor worked was because of his qualities that work onscreen, even though Tony Stark was almost never a funny character on the page.
    He could deliver a quip or two, he just wasn't the motormouth RDJ's Tony is.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I hope that the trailer is exciting but it doesn't spoil much of the movie.
    When was the last time they didn't. I never watch trailers. Every one gives away the movie.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    When was the last time they didn't. I never watch trailers. Every one gives away the movie.
    Same. I never watch trailers for any movie I know I'm going to watch at some point.