Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

With yesterday's poster Marvel also dropped 5 free comics to prep for the film, click the the QR code on HERBIE:

https://www.marvel.com/FantasticFour

The comics:

Fantastic Four (1961) #1
    Fantastic Four (1961) #48
    Fantastic Four (1961) #49
    Fantastic Four (1961) #50
    Fantastic Four: Life Story (2021) #1

FF Life Story sticks out the most to me (the 60's)...also a hint at Future Foundation?! So much happening here.
    Last edited by Séb; 04-05-2024 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    You're referring to the Secret Invasion where Nick Fury was an actual main character? No, that didn't work out, but it's not a fair comparison in general. Nick Fury is a supporting character at best. His name doesn't carry the weight for a solo project.

The other movies he was in, the majority of the audience didn't watch those flicks for Nick Fury's Character specifically. The Silver Surfer is a main heavy weight
    None of that is any indication that this Silver Surfer casting is meant to be a "stunt."

Astonishing Member

My guess is they are flipping the romance so that Shalla sacrifices herself to become Galactus's herald --- and Norrid Radd is left behind. Okay, I guess -- but always prefer the movies to stick to the source material.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Séb View Post
    I thought the same thing too but now with the idea of an alternate universe in play I think Galactus is going to "devour" their world.
    That's an excellent prediction

Alternate Universe
    Surfer brought in early
    Surfer isn't Norrin
    Mr Fantastic recast (Pedro is an excellent actor but I liked Krazinski and I think if they managed to get Emily as Sue, that'd draw in more of a crowd)

Some valid reasons to think Galactus eats this earth and has his sights on 616

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    That's an excellent prediction

Alternate Universe
    Surfer brought in early
    Surfer isn't Norrin
    Mr Fantastic recast (Pedro is an excellent actor but I liked Krazinski and I think if they managed to get Emily as Sue, that'd draw in more of a crowd)

Some valid reasons to think Galactus eats this earth and has his sights on 616
    I don't know about that, i mean that feels like they would make Galactus a Multiversal threat and frankly that just doesn't make sense for the character. Yes in the comics there are different versions of Galactus in the Multiverse but unless space/time hijinks are involved like when 616 Galactus is dropped into 1610 and merges with Ga Lak Tus there is no reason to have him pop into the Universe we've been following all this time after eating another Earth.

Besides, i think we all can agree that the goal isn't to make Galactus the main villain, but rather we need to get to Doom as the main threat and honestly i am more concerned about him they will handle him in comparison to Galactus and Silver Surfer AKA Shalla-Ball.

We'll see how this goes. I doubt it will be what people assume it will be, with a lady Surfer, even if it is Shalla Bal.

Honestly? I think the main problem will be the story itself and how it is told...I mean for all we know, and given that they currently decided to go the Multiversal route with Doc Strange 2, Loki and Deadpool 3, this F4 could very well be set in an alternate universe where Galactus looks like a man born in Spain and Silver Suffer is a woman and the Earth of that reality is destroyed with only the F4 surviving and possible whoever plays Dr. Doom and all of them end up in the MCU we've been following.

Now am i pleased we are diving straight into Galactus? Nope! I would be more interested in say the Negative Zone and facing Annihilus and his wave, or build up to Dr. Doom or maybe an alternate version of Namor. Frankly Galactus is more something you build up over say 3 movies, and this could be just a one and done scenario where they are going to compress it as much as they can.

Now all that said, i need t know what the story/plan is as well the comments from normies and fans alike before i can decide if i can give that a pass or not and invest time and money in watching this.

BANNED

I really don't understand why people act like Galactus needs to be built up to. He doesn't, his whole thing is eating planets, you don't need to build up to that, because at the end of the day it'll be another end of the world plot, sure he's a huge threat but the trick of beating Galactus has almost never been about beating him physically. Heck the Fantastic Four drive him away in his first story just because they threatened him with the Ultimate Nullifer. Now if this were a self contained Fantastic Four cartoon or a video game then yeah I could see them building up to Galactus, as like the end boss of the series but that's not what this is, this is a cinematic universe where the characters are expected to show up again and make multiple appearances in projects besides just their own, in this context Galactus doesn't need any build up because we'll likely see him again in other cosmic stuff.

Curiously, in the comics Galactus is the survivor of a previous version of the universe, and was reformed by the Big Bang or something into the Galactus we know.

I seriously doubt it with the way the MCU has treated the Hulk but in Immortal Hulk there's a possible future where the Hulk (possibly possessed) survives into the next universe and becomes a Galactus-like being.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Bruce...(Earth-TRN781)

So making him the Hulk of another universe that might've been destroyed by an incursion could be a possibility?

Even if not the Hulk making Galactus the survivor of an Incursion-ruined universe could still work and easily tie into the multiverse story.

Or maybe even a twist where the FF end up losing their universe just like Galactus did? (Or even turn out to somehow BE Galactus via timey-wimey stuff).
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 04-06-2024 at 08:03 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomBoom View Post
    I really don't understand why people act like Galactus needs to be built up to. He doesn't, his whole thing is eating planets, you don't need to build up to that, because at the end of the day it'll be another end of the world plot, sure he's a huge threat but the trick of beating Galactus has almost never been about beating him physically. Heck the Fantastic Four drive him away in his first story just because they threatened him with the Ultimate Nullifer. Now if this were a self contained Fantastic Four cartoon or a video game then yeah I could see them building up to Galactus, as like the end boss of the series but that's not what this is, this is a cinematic universe where the characters are expected to show up again and make multiple appearances in projects besides just their own, in this context Galactus doesn't need any build up because we'll likely see him again in other cosmic stuff.
    Because Galactus is a serious, seismic, climactic threat, one of the biggest in the entire Marvel Universe, and they didn't take him on until well into their comic history.

It's like if The Avengers first formed to fight Thanos.

I think the main reason people think the movies need to "build up to" Galactus is that we're so used to Big Franchises spanning multiple movies that get bigger and bigger, and with that assumption since they can't get much bigger than Galactus, he shouldn't be used in the first film. Personally, I think that's stupid. It's just one way to go, but there's no real reason Galactus can't be the bad guy in the first film and Mole Man be the bad guy in the second film. In both cases, if you're battling someone who can destroy the world who cares if it's Galactus, Mole Man, Molecule Man, or Annihilus? If it's just a good movie, there's no need to use the villains to "build" on each film, especially when the next one is in no way guaranteed. (just ask Green Lantern)

Besides, Galactus is mostly "big" in physical presence - he doesn't exactly need multiple films to build his character or anything resembling a character arc. The FF's main villain is Dr Doom anyway because aside from power, there are personal stakes involved. (and we've all heard how he needs to be "built up to" as well)

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I think the main reason people think the movies need to "build up to" Galactus is that we're so used to Big Franchises spanning multiple movies that get bigger and bigger, and with that assumption since they can't get much bigger than Galactus, he shouldn't be used in the first film. Personally, I think that's stupid. It's just one way to go, but there's no real reason Galactus can't be the bad guy in the first film and Mole Man be the bad guy in the second film. In both cases, if you're battling someone who can destroy the world who cares if it's Galactus, Mole Man, Molecule Man, or Annihilus? If it's just a good movie, there's no need to use the villains to "build" on each film, especially when the next one is in no way guaranteed. (just ask Green Lantern)

Besides, Galactus is mostly "big" in physical presence - he doesn't exactly need multiple films to build his character or anything resembling a character arc. The FF's main villain is Dr Doom anyway because aside from power, there are personal stakes involved. (and we've all heard how he needs to be "built up to" as well)
    I would've been fine with them starting with Mole Man (who has franchise precedent) or any of the Negative Zone baddies.

I'm reminded of how Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes first teased Galactus during the Secret Invasion arc before he showed up in the series finale.

In a perfect world, Galactus would be an Avengers level Big Bad for the MCU. With all the recent happenings with the Snap, the screwing around with the multiverse, it would've made Earth very enticing to Galactus and with each movie in the saga you steadily see him devouring other planets as he found his way here.

Granted we don't fully know the direction this first FF movie will go with him, but I'm praying they don't do him like they did Dormammu. Galactus and Doom deserve to be bigger than one-off movie antagonists.

Personally, I think Galactus as villain functions as "mindless force of nature" which has dramatic value, but isn't interesting. If the actual story is about the Silver Surfer or if his threat pushes whatever personal story they want to tell about the members of the FF, that's fine but he's still just a plot device rather than a character. (seeing him eat planets in the end credits of other movies leading up to it won't add to him as a character) At least Thanos was given characterization, and they had to deviate from the comics to make him more interesting. Maybe they'll do that with Galactus, but so far we have no idea.

Either way, I think there's absolutely no need to "build up to" Galactus. Especially when their Big Bad will always be Dr Doom.

Also, for all the comic book die-hards, how satisfying would it really be if they spent multiple movies building up to Galactus just to have Mr F save the day by waving the Ultimate Nullifier in Galactus's face and say, "Get lost."
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 04-06-2024 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Personally, I think Galactus as villain functions as "mindless force of nature" which has dramatic value, but isn't interesting. If the actual story is about the Silver Surfer or if his threat pushes whatever personal story they want to tell about the members of the FF, that's fine but he's still just a plot device rather than a character. (seeing him eat planets in the end credits of other movies leading up to it won't add to him as a character) At least Thanos was given characterization, and they had to deviate from the comics to make him more interesting. Maybe they'll do that with Galactus, but so far we have no idea.

Either way, I think there's absolutely no need to "build up to" Galactus. Especially when their Big Bad will always be Dr Doom.

Also, for all the comic book die-hards, how satisfying would it really be if they spent multiple movies building up to Galactus just to have Mr F save the day by waving the Ultimate Nullifier in Galactus's face and say, "Get lost."
    I was thinking about that too. That's a good point.

When you think about it also, it could be effective using Galactus with no build up because he is a force of nature. You have no rhyme or reason to a bad tornado or storm. He just shows up, tries to wreck **** and then you have to see how the FF staves him off.