Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I'd rather see him as Gladiator -- not as Hyperion. Part of the appeal of Hyperion is that he looked nothing like Superman. A stocky, red-headed Superman is off type. Cavill is too on the nose, obviously.
    I think casting Cavill as any Superman expy (Hyperion, Gladiator, Sentry) reeks of stunt casting.

It would be interesting to see him in a villain role. I think he could do a great Sebastian Shaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    It would be interesting to see him in a villain role. I think he could do a great Sebastian Shaw.
    Only if they give him CG muttonchops.

Captain Britain does seem like the best, most obvious choice. And since this is the Fantastic Four thread, I can actually see them introducing Captain Britain in an FF movie since it's not a stretch to see the FF exploring the multiverse which ties into Cap's mythos with Roma and the Captain Britain Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Only if they give him CG muttonchops.

Captain Britain does seem like the best, most obvious choice. And since this is the Fantastic Four thread, I can actually see them introducing Captain Britain in an FF movie since it's not a stretch to see the FF exploring the multiverse which ties into Cap's mythos with Roma and the Captain Britain Corps.
    One of these multiverse stories I really hope to see Saturnyne show up, FF and Captain Britain or not. And speaking of British MCU stuff, why not enlist Russel T. Davies to come up with a plan for how to do MCU UK? Have him write an MCU film or two and find a decent British director for it. I know he is busy right now with Doctor Who and he has mostly just done TV but I'd love to see him take it to the next level. He has all the right ideas that should translate well to a quirky British MCU that I would love to see.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 02-21-2024 at 07:04 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I'm no stranger to media but outside of Pedro I did do an IMDB.
    Vanessa Kirby was a name I felt I knew but couldn't pin point her.
    The other two were faces that felt familiar.

I get what Choptop is saying.
    Sure, but there's a distinction between the cast being unambiguous A-listers and being full of no-namers.

Pascal is an A-lister. Kirby seems close. But the rest are the type you would expect in this type of series.

Everyone in the cast seems bigger than Chris Evans when he was cast as Captain America, Chris Pratt when he was cast as Starlord, Daisy Ridley when she was cast as Rei, John Boyega when he was cast as Finn, Tom Holland when he was cast as Spider-Man, or Chris Hemsworth when he was cast as Thor.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Think Evans was fairly well known from teen comedies and the FF films, as well as a role in Scott Pilgrim,and Pratt from Parks and Rec.

Ridley and Hemsworth definitely I think, although Hemsworth had done some Soap work. Holland and Boyega were known mainly in Britain for a few things (Such as Boyega's Attack the Block) but still relative unknowns.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 02-21-2024 at 08:23 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Think Evans was fairly well known from teen comedies and the FF films, as well as a role in Scott Pilgrim,and Pratt from Parks and Rec.

Ridley and Hemsworth definitely I think, although Hemsworth had done some Soap work. Holland and Boyega were known mainly in Britain for a few things (Such as Boyega's Attack the Block) but still relative unknowns.
    A lot of people on the internet didn't know them, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Sure, but there's a distinction between the cast being unambiguous A-listers and being full of no-namers.

Pascal is an A-lister. Kirby seems close. But the rest are the type you would expect in this type of series.

Everyone in the cast seems bigger than Chris Evans when he was cast as Captain America, Chris Pratt when he was cast as Starlord, Daisy Ridley when she was cast as Rei, John Boyega when he was cast as Finn, Tom Holland when he was cast as Spider-Man, or Chris Hemsworth when he was cast as Thor.
    No, maybe you don't remember, but Evans was very well known, having starred in films like the Kim Basinger thriller Cellular, Danny Boyle's sci-fi flick Sunshine, the super-power actioner Push, as well as those FF films where he was one of the only good things in them. Evans was definitely a star, not huge but arguably bigger than Pedro Pascal is now.

Don't forget Mystery Date!

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I'd rather see him as Gladiator -- not as Hyperion. Part of the appeal of Hyperion is that he looked nothing like Superman. A stocky, red-headed Superman is off type. Cavill is too on the nose, obviously.
    I don’t think I would like to see Henry Cavil with a Mohawk.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    No, maybe you don't remember, but Evans was very well known, having starred in films like the Kim Basinger thriller Cellular, Danny Boyle's sci-fi flick Sunshine, the super-power actioner Push, as well as those FF films where he was one of the only good things in them. Evans was definitely a star, not huge but arguably bigger than Pedro Pascal is now.
    I think the others are bigger.
    Pedro Pascal is the lead of two of the biggest shows right now, and has been in some major films (Equalizer 2, Wonder Woman 1984, The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent, Gladiator 2, etc.)
    Vanessa Kirby followed up a hit show with roles in major franchises, an Oscar nomination and various prestige projects.

It also seems Emmy winners and main characters from Stranger Things trump where Evans was when he got cast.

There were a lot of people in the Scott Pilgrim cast, and he was already cast as Cap when it came out. Sunshine was a flop with good reviews, although Cillian Murphy was the lead. Cellular and Push were flops with poor reviews. He was starting to develop a bad reputation before Captain America, and that's worse than being an unknown or an Emmy winner.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I completely forgot Kirby got a Best Actress nomination. Far from a no-name! I think people here just watch too many blockbusters to recognize actors who don't frequently lean in that direction
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    I don’t think I would like to see Henry Cavil with a Mohawk.
    Well he's had long hair in Witcher and I didn't like that look on him. But people seemed to like that character a lot.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It also seems Emmy winners and main characters from Stranger Things trump where Evans was when he got cast.
    Can't agree with that.

SNL ran a skit when Pedro hosted -- coincidentally. It was a game show where contestants could name actors and movies from the past -- but no one knew any current TV show, actor or movie -- because there are too many platforms. Netflix is popular, but not universal. Cellular was Evans' breakout movie. It was a blockbuster. He was not yet a name, but a lot of people were at least aware of him after that movie.

Just because someone has won an award for a performance does not make them a name -- just makes them a winner who is known in Hollywood circles. There are plenty of Oscar winners whose performances aren't seen by a big audience.

Lol Cellular was in noway a blockbuster. It only grossed about $58 million worldwide.

When Evans was cast as Cap, his biggest role was in Fantastic Four and that's why folks didn't see him being able to pull off Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    I think casting Cavill as any Superman expy (Hyperion, Gladiator, Sentry) reeks of stunt casting.

One of his earliest roles had him with at least the dress sense.