Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm still iffy on Pedro as Reed but cast seems solid.

I also like how the actor for Johnny is only 3 years older than Tom Holland.

The only thing I hate about the period piece aspect is it's like they're doubling-down on the FF being "old school" or "retro" and will have to adjust a lot to make that work and how they relate to the present-day. I dunno, it just feels iffy to me.

But hey, Herbie !
    What period piece aspect?
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    What does being Latino have to do with it? Reed Richards isn't Latino, so unless you think Marvel was specifically looking for a Latino actor, then ended up with Pascal as opposed to, "Let's hire someone who's incredibly famous and beloved by fans" I'm not sure what your point is.

"The Incredibles" movies are also a good example of how effective stretchy powers can work in action scenes if you're creative about the Looney Tunes physics of it.
    I suspect that they wanted to diversify the cast, so they went for a latino actor for Reed. That's why I mentioned the latino thing.

That's just me being silly though, I think they wanted to a relatively "older" actor for the role hence they cast Pascal.

Jokes apart, I don't think Pedro Pascal makes a good Reed Richards, not because he's latino though.

I have to imagine they cast Pascal because they want him to bring his charm to the role just as RDJ brought his personality to Tony Stark.(a personality he didn't have in the comics at the time) Pascal can also play detached or emotionally closed off - we saw that in "The Last of Us." Just make him a genius and less angry. The fact is, while we have preconceptions of Reed from the comics, we don't know what kind of Reed Richards they want for this movie in the story that they're telling. (as with any of these adaptations)

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    The only person I recognize is Pedro, and I don't feel he'll make that good of a Reed. Great actor, but just doesn't really give of a "Reed" vibe.

Not saying the entire cast is bad or anything. Just that I'm reserving judgement because I haven't seen anything any of the rest have done and have no basis to judge their ability on.
    ^^^Pedro doesn’t give me a Reed vibe either. Kirby’s fine, I guess. Moss-Bachrach Will be CGI so that’s a wash. Quinn…does not look like Johnny Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    What period piece aspect?
    There's been rumors about it being a period piece for a while and the teaser art is very retro.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    There's been rumors about it being a period piece for a while and the teaser art is very retro.
    Just speculation at this point. They should just introduce the FF like they've always been around and not worry about it too much. Also, the retro aesthetic is very fitting for these characters
    They/Them

I'm not too familiar with Matt Shakman. As relieved as I am that Watts is no longer attached, I still have some trepidation. I hope this can be a change of pace from the typical comedic, turn-your-brain-off blockbuster fare from the MCU of late, because the Fantastic Four are some of my favorite characters in comics. I think this has the potential to be really spectacular and unique, but that will fall apart for me if they fill it with the typical Marvel humor, and if they make fun of the characters in any way. The promo artwork suggests that they're embracing all these core aspects and taking them seriously instead of making fun of it or trying to turn it on its head, so I'm a teensy bit hopeful.
    They/Them

Ultimate Member

I have to imagine they cast Pascal because they want him to bring his charm to the role just as RDJ brought his personality to Tony Stark.(a personality he didn't have in the comics at the time) Pascal can also play detached or emotionally closed off - we saw that in "The Last of Us." Just make him a genius and less angry. The fact is, while we have preconceptions of Reed from the comics, we don't know what kind of Reed Richards they want for this movie in the story that they're telling. (as with any of these adaptations)
    Yet when Fox wanted that with Michael B Jordan-we saw the worst of the fandom at that casting. A casting some said was the best thing about that movie.

We can only HOPE the fandom has matured since but looking at the behavior towards the Blue Beetle, Black Adam, Marvels, Ms Marvel & Eternals. Expect folks to HOPE for failure with this film because how DARE Marvel or DC try to use other properties.

Also -- looks like we're getting H.E.R.B.I.E.!

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    Just speculation at this point. They should just introduce the FF like they've always been around and not worry about it too much. Also, the retro aesthetic is very fitting for these characters
    Which isn't to say they can't be modernized.

Mighty Member

Marvel: announces Fantastic 4.

Me, to myself: I really feel like Sue kind of needs to be the hottest woman in the MCU. I'm not really sure WHY I feel that way, but there it is.

Marvel: casts Vanessa Kirby

Me: Oh. Well, mission accomplished then.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Marvel: announces Fantastic 4.

Me, to myself: I really feel like Sue kind of needs to be the hottest woman in the MCU. I'm not really sure WHY I feel that way, but there it is.

Marvel: casts Vanessa Kirby

Me: Oh. Well, mission accomplished then.
    The age gap between her, Pascal, and Joseph Quinn feel pretty on-point as well.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    A bunch of no names basically...
    Well, Pedro is pretty well-known especially from the last year or two. The rest are unknowns to me. Visually, I think Pedro works. Actually, I think he will be fine as Reed. Don't know anything about the rest, but the guy playing Johnny doesn't work for me from a visual perspective.

There was a bit of that in his Max Lord I think, except kind of hammed up.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member

This casting is fine but boy did it take forever for a cast to finally be announced. I’m not too sure about Quinn as Johnny but I’m sure he’ll win me over, and Pascal is really over-exposed at this point.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.