Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    I respectfully disagree. I think Maddy's favorite thing about Alex is he is one of the few X-Men to never carry a torch for Jean. For Alex, Maddy is his favorite red head. She isn't a stand in for Jean, for him. Mutant X Alex isn't our Alex. Funny thing about the Outback era is that there was such tension you could have seen any pairing working out.
    Claremont and Silverstri poetically depict how Madelyne/Alex came together in Havok's dream (UNCANNY X-MEN #239). Dreamtime in the Outback really worked overtime...

(of note that Maddie shows up in a BLUE DRESS on the next page)
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Claremont and Silverstri poetically depict how Madelyne/Alex came together in Havok's dream (UNCANNY X-MEN #239). Dreamtime in the Outback really worked overtime...

(of note that Maddie shows up in a BLUE DRESS on the next page)
    Claremont crafted quite the soapy love story between them both.

I respectfully disagree. I think Maddy's favorite thing about Alex is he is one of the few X-Men to never carry a torch for Jean. For Alex, Maddy is his favorite red head. She isn't a stand in for Jean, for him. Mutant X Alex isn't our Alex. Funny thing about the Outback era is that there was such tension you could have seen any pairing working out.
    That's a good point. And I agree that just about any couple could have worked out in the Outback era. Dazzler/Longshot, Rogue/Longshot, Colossus/Psylocke, Storm/Wolverine, Havok/Dazzler, etc. But in Mutant X, I thought it was our Alex who slipped into an alternate reality?

Ultimate Member

It was 616 Alex that got stuck in that reality and had to play the part until he could figure out how to get home.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    It was 616 Alex that got stuck in that reality and had to play the part until he could figure out how to get home.
    I've never read Mutant X so when he arrived, he was already married to Maddie? It was the real Mutant X Alex who had fallen in love with Jean but married Maddie and our Alex arrives during the time period when Maddie is his wife?

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    I've never read Mutant X so when he arrived, he was already married to Maddie? It was the real Mutant X Alex who had fallen in love with Jean but married Maddie and our Alex arrives during the time period when Maddie is his wife?
    I'm unaware of the "fallen in love with Jean and married Maddie" thing, which may have come much later in the narrative, but in the beginning "dying" 616 Alex (going thru a Mutant Terrorist phase) jumped timelines into the body of "dying" Alex of the Mutant X timeline, who was married (with child to Marvel Woman Madelyne and loved her enough to take a Sentinel blast to save her...

Astonishing Member

I don't remember the Jean of it all in Mutant X. Just our Alex inhabiting the body of that universe's Alex who was married to Maddy with a son. Soif there was a Jean issue, it had nothing to do with our Alex, he wasn't into Jean in either universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    I'm unaware of the "fallen in love with Jean and married Maddie" thing, which may have come much later in the narrative, but in the beginning "dying" 616 Alex (going thru a Mutant Terrorist phase) jumped timelines into the body of "dying" Alex of the Mutant X timeline, who was married (with child to Marvel Woman Madelyne and loved her enough to take a Sentinel blast to save her...

That explains it then. Alex took over in this reality after his counterpart was already married to Maddie. I always assumed he lived through his counterpart's whole existence since the original Mutant X Alex was the sole survivor of the plane crash. Scott never became an X-Man here but Alex did by taking his place and falling in love with Jean who was later replaced by Maddie. So I assumed this meant our Alex had also originally fallen in love with Jean but that wasn't the case after all.

Re-read mutant x a few months back, can confirm Jean comes back later on, and it was confirmed even before that "Ariel" (her codename rather than marvel girl like on 616) had been that universe's havok's girlfriend back when they were X-men.

When she comes back and Madelyne is dead because of Goblyn Force possession (I wish I wash joking), there's *some* tension, but 616's Alex's spoken for that dimension's Elektra. (They kissed a few times).

Also, Scott became that universe's leader if the starjammers, but is still going by Cyclops. He show up like three times but hadn't been to Earth before the events of the comics (the Goblyn Forced killed the Phoenix Force eons ago in that universe.)
    Last edited by WarrensForgottenMemoryLoss; 04-21-2024 at 03:56 PM.

Also, Earth-1298 Alex's cheated on Madelyne with Susan Storm but regretted it? But he was then worried she cheated on him with Iceman, which lead to him sabotaging Hank's attempt at curing Iceman from the Loki's magic arc from X-factor on 616, leading to Hank evolving in the amphibian, child-like Brute. That series's soap opera subplots werd bizarre even by X-men standards...

Quote Originally Posted by WarrensForgottenMemoryLoss View Post
    Re-read mutant x a few months back, can confirm Jean comes back later on, and it was confirmed even before that "Ariel" (her codename rather than marvel girl like on 616) had been havok's girlfriend back when they were X-men.

When she comes back and Madelyne is dead because of Goblyn Force possession (I wish I wash joking), there's *some* tension, but 616's Alex's spoken for that dimension's Elektra. (They kissed a few times).

Also, Scott became that universe's leader if the starjammers, but is still going by Cyclops. He show up like three times but hadn't been to Earth before the events of the comics (the Goblyn Forced killed the Phoenix Force eons ago in that universe.)
    I knew about Jean coming back but didn't know if she and our Alex had a thing then. Especially, since like you said, he was involved with Elektra at the time as she was his son's babysitter. I wonder if that means he would ever have any residual feelings for 616 Elektra, but I don't know how similar or different they are.

Good to know about Scott still being around in a different capacity. I figured he would have become a Starjammer if he was taken to space.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrensForgottenMemoryLoss View Post
    Also, Earth-1298 Alex's cheated on Madelyne with Susan Storm but regretted it? But he was then worried she cheated on him with Iceman, which lead to him sabotaging Hank's attempt at curing Iceman from the Loki's magic arc from X-factor on 616, leading to Hank evolving in the amphibian, child-like Brute. That series's soap opera subplots werd bizarre even by X-men standards...
    Oh wow, I didn't know about any of that. Was Sue married to Reed when she had the affair with Alex? No wonder the Summers brothers get such a bad rep in any reality. I knew Hank was the Brute but didn't realize he became this way because of Alex sabotaging Bobby. I should definitely read Mutant X one day.

Reading the MUTANT X recap, I'm glad that I got out early and only picked up issues with Bloodstorm prominently featured. Seemed like a good opportunity for Alex to shine at the time...

And he and Dazzler were jogging buddies back during the Outback era even though they don't really have any notable interactions since then.
    (--edit--)
    I've also liked the idea of Alex/Betsy since there was definitely some sexual tension between them which was never explored after the Siege Perilous.
    Funny thing about the Outback era is that there was such tension you could have seen any pairing working out.
    That Outback era was ticking with sexual tension and Alex was ground zero as a sex bomb...moreso when Longshot departed

Astonishing Member

Claremont was the master of blending epic storylines and a soap opera at it's zenith level interpersonal relationships as well. It's why he dominated an entire era. While crafting an incredible love story for Alex and Maddy, he also had time to suggest or imply situations with Betsy or Allie all the while having the dangling potline of his Malice possessed ex-Lorna, and that is just Alex. He gave that level of detail to each of the characters on his book. A lot of books don't give a tenth of that level of detail to all their characters combined. Claremont made me a fan of Alex during this era and he remains a favorite to this day...however Alex has been developed nearly as well since.