Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    Claremont was the master of blending epic storylines and a soap opera at it's zenith level interpersonal relationships as well. It's why he dominated an entire era. While crafting an incredible love story for Alex and Maddy, he also had time to suggest or imply situations with Betsy or Allie all the while having the dangling potline of his Malice possessed ex-Lorna, and that is just Alex. He gave that level of detail to each of the characters on his book. A lot of books don't give a tenth of that level of detail to all their characters combined. Claremont made me a fan of Alex during this era and he remains a favorite to this day...however Alex has been developed nearly as well since.
    And it's interesting because I've never pegged Claremont as much of an Alex fan. Alex isn't a character that Claremont jumps back to over and over like his usual favorites. But he's still the first writer who invested the most in Alex and the first to make him part of the regular cast of a book. My other favorite Alex writer is Rick Remender. Remender give him A-List status for a while and I felt he carried on over many of the threads that Claremont established about the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    That Outback era was ticking with sexual tension and Alex was ground zero as a sex bomb...moreso when Longshot departed

I never got Longshot's appeal especially with Rogue and Alison both fighting over him...especially with Alex right there lol. But I guess Alex was considered taken. I'm guessing the mullet also catered to Rogue and Ali's tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    I never got Longshot's appeal especially with Rogue and Alison both fighting over him...especially with Alex right there lol. But I guess Alex was considered taken. I'm guessing the mullet also catered to Rogue and Ali's tastes.
    Longshot had a fun personality. Alex ws a bit of a stick in the mud at the time bc he was dealing with the issues with Lorna and then of course Maddie. He was a bit more dry and not as exciting as Longshot was

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Longshot had a fun personality. Alex ws a bit of a stick in the mud at the time bc he was dealing with the issues with Lorna and then of course Maddie. He was a bit more dry and not as exciting as Longshot was
    That reminds me that I did like the Longshot/Alex moments because personality-wise, they came across as complete opposites. Alex was sullen and morose and couldn't believe Longshot was really the way he was, so energetic and innocent.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I guess stick in the mud is the default Summers characterization. However it is weird when Scott is around, Alex is nothing like his brother more heart on his sleeve and spontaneous, but when Scott isn't Alex becomes the default Summers stick in the mud plotter/planner.

Astonishing Member

People talk about favorite Alex looks, I liked the brotherhood look the Black outfit with the red gauntlets. The OG look is fine except for the headgear. I like the X-Factor blue and yellow because just like the red gauntlets look his blonde hair is out there flapping in the breeze. I am not a graphics guy but how would the Factor outfit look if the main colors were black a grey, sort of a combination of his two classic looks? What are you guys favorite costumes, and no Goblin Prince votes (you thirsty pervs, smh)? One thing he has to have is the concentric circles power signature. Sometimes his blasts are drawn randomly but it isn't Havok without concentric circles, I remember when an X-Men commented on it being Alex because of the concentric circles when he was a brainwashed magistrate/mutate in Genosha post Seige Perilous?? (it's been a minute).
    Last edited by EmeraldGladiator; 04-23-2024 at 02:43 PM.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

It wasn't just them.

His introduction to the X-Men. It seems Logan didn't get it either.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    It wasn't just them.

His introduction to the X-Men. It seems Logan didn't get it either.

Isn't this the period when the X-Men are regressing into the X-Babies even if they haven't shown any physical signs yet?

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Isn't this the period when the X-Men are regressing into the X-Babies even if they haven't shown any physical signs yet?
    Yes it is.

Ten characters.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by GoingGreen View Post
    It's this X-Factor lewk for me...

Going Green quick question, how is X-Men 97 hitting for you? I am glad it is back per se but the fact that they adapted the storyline that made Alex my favorite male X-character (Inferno) without him in it has me feeling some sorta way. They have also addressed the Fall of Genosha which a lot of Lorna stans find her character defining moment and she is nowhere to be seen. I dare not bring this up in the Lorna thread because as a Havok-stan beheadings are not out of the question, j/k. I might prefer landmark stories not be addressed at all if not given the proper weight and context. Who knows Maddy might cross paths with Alex's X-Factor in the X-'97 organically? All stories get truncated when adapted but it sucks when your favorite storyline is, and your favorite part is on the cutting room floor.

Going Green quick question, how is X-Men 97 hitting for you? I am glad it is back per se but the fact that they adapted the storyline that made Alex my favorite male X-character (Inferno) without him in it has me feeling some sorta way. They have also addressed the Fall of Genosha which a lot of Lorna stans find her character defining moment and she is nowhere to be seen. I dare not bring this up in the Lorna thread because as a Havok-stan beheadings are not out of the question, j/k. I might prefer landmark stories not be addressed at all if not given the proper weight and context. Who knows Maddy might cross paths with Alex's X-Factor in the X-'97 organically? All stories get truncated when adapted but it sucks when your favorite storyline is, and your favorite part is on the cutting room floor.
    Any Havok fan coming by the Polaris thread I have no problem with and will defend. Though obviously I am not a fan of them getting back together and feel their relationship often has served as a writers crutch to avoid developing both of their characters. Their best stuff which includes IMHO the Maddy storyline for Havok happens when they aren’t romantically a pair so writers have to think outside that box.

Those who hate the Maddy storyline tend to be Uber Havolaris shipper fanboys which I feel the X-Men 97 crew likely are though overall they don’t think much of either character. But, yah for Lorna this would be like for Jean giving the Phoenix and DP Saga to another character. Perhaps even bigger.
    Last edited by jmc247; 04-24-2024 at 10:13 AM.

Astonishing Member

JMC I was kinda joking about the beheading. I like the Lorna-stans thread I am always impressed at the size and passion of the Lorna-stans. Lorna isn't my favorite Alex paring either but I never had issues with it per se and at first didn't realize while the Lorna-stans hated it but by reading the thread and a lot of the cringe stories involving the two, personally I blame hack writers more than Alex Summers, I understand now. I remembered the Nurse Annie bs but forgot all about the empty costume stuff. What really made me feel their pain is Maddy. I can't imagine if the character that did my favorite character the most harm, was the character they were constantly being paired up with. If the X-office still had Maddy pining over Scott, I would vomit. I do maintain the best way to put the unpopular Lorna interpretation to bed, Lorna as Havok's gf, would be to cast them in the same book and show they will forver be a part of each other's lives but are beyond each other now romantically. So JMC what are your feelings on the cartoon, or a Genoshan massacre sans Lorna? What is Alex without the Outback Era? Not my favorite male X-character probably so for me the comics are canon and the cartoon is alt universe stuff and the masses are missing out on what made great stories great by just getting a Wiki version of them.

So JMC what are your feelings on the cartoon, or a Genoshan massacre sans Lorna? What is Alex without the Outback Era? Not my favorite male X-character probably so for me the comics are canon and the cartoon is alt universe stuff and the masses are missing out on what made great stories great by just getting a Wiki version of them.
    What is Lorna without the Genosha era? Certainly not my favorite x-character either.

She is stuck as mentally little more then very limited character who is very man in her life focused. Very small and very insular. It would be easy to drop magic fairy dust on her and make her Magneto’s daughter, but that just makes Magneto her second Havok reacting to him and focused on him. The foundations of the 21st century version of Lorna virtually entirely rely on her developments in that era.
    Last edited by jmc247; 04-24-2024 at 10:58 AM.

Ultimate Member

Marvel demonized and belittled Maddy to prop up Scott and Jean. For better or worse I don't see Alex and Lorna ever being just friends, especially if on the same team. I fear a writer would still use both to prop up the other and then said new relationship.

Right now it probably wouldn't take much to have Lorna and Alex back together, nothing immediate but...as for the show they don't seem to care for either character and they're cobbling storylined together so no surprise that characters got left out. Though I thought that years ago Alex and Scott fought on the old cartoon and while Jean and Lorna tried to stop them Jean scanned their minds and figured the truth out.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Marvel demonized and belittled Maddy to prop up Scott and Jean. For better or worse I don't see Alex and Lorna ever being just friends, especially if on the same team. I fear a writer would still use both to prop up the other and then said new relationship.

Right now it probably wouldn't take much to have Lorna and Alex back together, nothing immediate but...as for the show they don't seem to care for either character and they're cobbling storylined together so no surprise that characters got left out. Though I thought that years ago Alex and Scott fought on the old cartoon and while Jean and Lorna tried to stop them Jean scanned their minds and figured the truth out.
    She scanned Cable's mind and had an idea that she and Scott were connected to him but nothing beyond that. I'm pretty sure she knew about Corsair from the Phoenix Saga. I don't remember her learning about Alex though.