Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Sorry folks but I think I’m with Vordan here, I kind of like Grail now.
    Never thought I’d see you write that Gaius, lol.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Never thought I’d see you write that Gaius, lol.
    Hey don't worry, Max Lord and the Dark Fates still suck.

Grail works as a dumb bruiser for Diana to throw hands with. But she's not interesting in and of herself. We already have three or four "Anti-Wonder Women" and they're all better than her.

It occurs to me...look at Geoff Johns's various creations or existing characters he took special interest in: Grail, the various Rainbow Lanterns, Reverse Flash, Black Adam.
    I guarantee he played Mortal Kombat when he was kid, saw Scorpion and Sub-Zero, and had his mind blown.

"My god...they look the same, but wear different colors! And they're enemies! This is BRILLIANT!"

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Grail is interesting enough imo that if a writer fleshes her out more, she'd be great.

But she keeps being detached from New Gods and left to show up to fight WW real quick

You know how in Family Guy there's a giant anthropomorphized chicken who sometimes shows up out of nowhere and immediately gets in a huge fist fight with Peter where they destroy half the city and nearly kill each other?

That's Grail and I'm here for it.

Though I do like the comment someone made about how she's the paternal narrative and Diana's the maternal narrative. There's something interesting to explore there.

The latest issue by King and Sampere certainly packs a punch! (Pun gigantically intended.)

Lots of highlights for me:

The scale of the super-heroic fisticuffs between Diana and Giganta. Epically fun. Steve Trevor fighting the influence of Angle Man and Doctor Psycho. Circe seemingly nonchalant about the whole endeavor and just there to see what would happen and bouncing out when it isn’t fun anymore. The showdown with Grail - certainly a clash of titans - after Diana survived everything else. Great action all around that shows Diana’s power, skill, finesse, heart and ability to turn “no thank you” into politely rendered, powerfully delivered shade.

I kind of dig it and have said it a few times lately to aggressive people who think they have control over me, or that I have no boundaries, or that I’m just supposed to do what they say. Let me tell you, it works. The politeness and finality of it makes them nearly and neatly apoplectic.

I know many aren’t fans of the Sovereign’s narration or Diana’s seeming formality, but it’s kind of grown on me. Sovereign’s every statement belies how he has underestimated the Amazing Amazon and Princess of Power and that just “shouldn’t be” as the one true king. There’s an interesting balance between the two with their regal and royal formality in speaking that I just picked up on after reading this issue. I’m also good with stepping into what King is trying to do and enjoy it for what it is as opposed to what I need it to be. He’s had a few character missteps for me, but overall I like the concept behind the story.

I’m also reflecting on what it means for women to say “no thank you” and supposedly have to be polite in a society that doesn’t thank them, isn’t polite to them, and often wants them to just do what they’re told and follow the lead of men. I mean, Diana knows her villains didn’t get together on their own for this and Sovereign is watching. From that perspective, Diana’s “no thank you” gets turned on its head into a FU she’s delivered to the mastermind several times now. Or, I’m overthinking it and it’s just a bit of camp. Either works for me.

What I would have loved is if this would have been a double issue, so we could have gotten some characterization and commentary and relationship-building between the villains. Hopefully that wish will come true another day!

It appears Donna may have gotten Sargent Steel, so I’m really hoping to see what happens when the Lasso of Lies meets the Lasso of Persuasion.

The only part of the issue that didn’t really work for me was Silver Swan. It didn’t resonate emotionally as much as it could because I’m not exactly what version of Vanessa this is. Their interaction was very general and I’d expect more when Diana encounters a corrupted friend. But, none of the villains got much a deep dive here, so I’ll settle for her introduction at this point.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 02-21-2024 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    You know how in Family Guy there's a giant anthropomorphized chicken who sometimes shows up out of nowhere and immediately gets in a huge fist fight with Peter where they destroy half the city and nearly kill each other?

That's Grail and I'm here for it.

Though I do like the comment someone made about how she's the paternal narrative and Diana's the maternal narrative. There's something interesting to explore there.
    Except Grail wasn’t raised by Darkseid. If I recall correctly she was secreted out of Themyscira and raised by Myrina, so there isn’t really a paternal narrative to speak of. Besides, how exactly would that go..? Raised by a woman = good, raised by a man = bad? That’s criminally reductive. The more interesting story would be Diana vs Grail, both raised by women (and Amazons no less) yet turned out so diametrically opposed. Heck, one might even come up with an actual reason for them to be enemies…

Astonishing Member

This is the first issue of this run that I actually want to read. I think Sampere is a great artist, but his storytelling came across a little stiff. From the pages shown, the action sequences look great. I dont' know much about Grail, but even crappy villains can become good villains with some effort. I think just having her drawn by Sampere elevated her a bit.

The really need to undo Vanessa as Silver Swan. That story should have played out years ago!

Half Amazonian Daughter of Darkseid.

They could do SO MUCH with that character if they actually utilized her more. Grail has SUCH potential, but a potential they don't seem to really want to explore.

They could do tons with her but they don't. Heck go team her up with Lobo's daughter and make them go on buddy cop misadventures through space and different cosmos and see what happens with that.

Just do something more than they have done, which is not flesh her out much at all in a decade.

Untapped potential in 80% of Wonder Woman villains.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

I really enjoyed this issue. And that's saying something considering its spotlight on Grail--a character I had to google. (I think someone used her in a WW Black & Gold issue that I read, but other than that I knew nothing. Missed the whole Grail train.)

Last issue's set up made me think Angle Man and Psycho would do more. I'm holding out hope that King has future plans for them.

I can see how Sovvy's narration might be excessive to some. I like his grandiloquence. And in this issue he really served like an old-school omniscient narrator, underlining how massive and impressive the slugfest truly was. I'm still here for Sovvy.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

I enjoyed this issue, loved the action, TK’s writing is a bit stodgy but I’m intrigued to see where this is going. I haven’t been this engaged by a WW comic in probably a decade, it’s been like a very long walk across the desert. It helps that the art is so phenomenal

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    I really enjoyed this issue. And that's saying something considering its spotlight on Grail--a character I had to google. (I think someone used her in a WW Black & Gold issue that I read, but other than that I knew nothing. Missed the whole Grail train.)

Last issue's set up made me think Angle Man and Psycho would do more. I'm holding out hope that King has future plans for them.

I can see how Sovvy's narration might be excessive to some. I like his grandiloquence. And in this issue he really served like an old-school omniscient narrator, underlining how massive and impressive the slugfest truly was. I'm still here for Sovvy.
    I am too (because I'd never heard the expression "In all things grace" before he said it and it's a good proverb to live by) but his commentary was totally unneeded during the fight with Grail, he only got in the way of Sampere's amazing art.

I liked this issue overall. The art was great and the writing was intriguing. The battle between Wonder Woman and her foes was portrayed well and the final fight between Diana and Grail was brutal. I'm definitely interested in reading what comes next.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Hey looks like Giganta gets the honor of stricking the final blow
    Wait for it......lol