Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    I definitely thought of Cabin in the Woods' last scene when I saw the panel...
    Right? Great film, by the way. Loads of fun homages.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Vanessa as the Silver Swan was just in issue #5 so I don't think that's accurate.
    But she is not George Perez's Vanessa, she is Robinson's Vanessa.
    Last edited by Sebastianne; 02-18-2024 at 06:50 AM.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    But she is not George Perez's Vanessa, she is Robinson's Vanessa.

So is the current Wonder Woman, Rucka's Wonder Woman and not Marston's Wonder Woman then? Sure, some things have changed over the decades but regardless, Vanessa is still Vaness and Wonder Woman is still Wonder Woman.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

So is the current Wonder Woman, Rucka's Wonder Woman and not Marston's Wonder Woman then? Sure, some things have changed over the decades but regardless, Vanessa is still Vaness and Wonder Woman is still Wonder Woman.
    So like Agent Z said, Tom King doesn't know George Perez's Vanessa and Julia Kapatelis, only Robinson's Vanessa. He also said it in an interview: "I don't know who the Kapatelis are."

And I don't agree that Vanessa is still Vanessa.
    For me they are two different characters, in this era of all stories matter, Tom King could have taken Phil Jimenez's Vanessa/Silver Swan (even ignoring the redemption given by Rucka and Simone), but he decided to take Robinson's Vanessa that in my opinion they only share the name, she has absolutely nothing to do with the plot of her story, which goes from issue 1 - Vol. 2 to issue 600 vol 3.
    Last edited by Sebastianne; 02-18-2024 at 09:22 AM.

It's hard to believe that King has read anything from Perez when his take on Vanessa is that she's in love with Diana.

There's been multiple reboots since Perez, this isn't his version of the character he created. It's the inferior version we've been stuck with since Robinson.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    It's hard to believe that King has read anything from Perez when his take on Vanessa is that she's in love with Diana.
    Bingo.
    Hear hear.
    Correct.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Perez isn't the only thing he read. And not his only influence

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Perez isn't the only thing he read. And not his only influence
    And the Kapatelis women are really only a big deal in the Perez and Jimenez runs.

I doubt I would be thrilled with King's take on Vanessa if Perez's was still canon. But for better or worse, she isn't, and we're getting a continuation on Robinson's. My expectations are low, and I wish it was one of the other Swans, but she's practically a different character anyway. So it won't impact my enjoyment too much.

I wonder what people who never read Perez's run thought when reading Vanessa during Rebrith for the first time.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    So like Agent Z said, Tom King doesn't know George Perez's Vanessa and Julia Kapatelis, only Robinson's Vanessa. He also said it in an interview: "I don't know who the Kapatelis are."

And I don't agree that Vanessa is still Vanessa.
    For me they are two different characters, in this era of all stories matter, Tom King could have taken Phil Jimenez's Vanessa/Silver Swan (even ignoring the redemption given by Rucka and Simone), but he decided to take Robinson's Vanessa that in my opinion they only share the name, she has absolutely nothing to do with the plot of her story, which goes from issue 1 - Vol. 2 to issue 600 vol 3.

Perhaps King just forgot the Kapatelis' name? He said he read Perez's run so I don't see why he would lie about it. Maybe he sped read through it & Jimenez's runs and the Kapatelis' name just didn't stick with him. He may remember Vanessa by just her first name or as Silver Swan. I personally don't mind this version of Vanessa as quite honestly, Perez's version was a little too "Brady Bunch" & needy for my taste. I know that might be sacrilegious to you & some others but my opinion is my own.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I wonder what people who never read Perez's run thought when reading Vanessa during Rebrith for the first time.
    They possibly thought she was a retread of Cheetah. Compared to both the original Vanessa and Rebirth Cheetah, she comes up way short.

Well, all things considered, if I had to pick one thing from Robinson's run that got cemented into Wonder Woman canon, Vanessa being made into the de facto Silver Swan isn't the worst of them.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

There is also the possibility that Silver Swan here prolly could have some crazy twists and bits to her. King could go crazy with the character and do some wild stuff, who knows.

He seems to be taking pieces from all kinds of runs and having fun with them.

I don’t know if King picked up on the fact that Psycho is responsible for Venessa’s transformation into the Silver Swan in Rebirth cannon too.

But if he did, I mean, they’re on the same team now. The drama writes itself.