Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

And she's been in the US for years and most people don't write her that way.

King just writes a very stiff Wonder Woman.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I feel like King is writing Diana similar to how Perez & Jimenez did. He said that he took influences from those runs so that might be why.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Giganta's entrance is truly terrifying. It brought back a childhood scare that people of a certain age from the NY/NJ/CT tri-state area will remember: https://youtu.be/Ux3laLkueZk?si=fpxwksNG047vHvYI

Though, given his fascination with film, I'm sure Tom King's inspiration was the ending of Cabin in the Woods: https://youtu.be/aoJSNjH0EjQ?si=wTZW8PzQpQK-Kgl7&t=494
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

It reminded me of "The Gilded Age" where the hand of the Statue of Liberty is in the middle Central Park and you get a true sense of it's enormous scale.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    Giganta's entrance is truly terrifying. It brought back a childhood scare that people of a certain age from the NY/NJ/CT tri-state area will remember: https://youtu.be/Ux3laLkueZk?si=fpxwksNG047vHvYI

Though, given his fascination with film, I'm sure Tom King's inspiration was the ending of Cabin in the Woods: https://youtu.be/aoJSNjH0EjQ?si=wTZW8PzQpQK-Kgl7&t=494
    I definitely thought of Cabin in the Woods' last scene when I saw the panel...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I'm reminded that Diana's speech thing here is cause King is writing her as someone whose English isn't their first language.

So the stilted way of speaking and lack of contractions is supposed to be intentional on part of the writer.
    Yeah, my mom's been living in the States for more than 50 years and still kinda talks this way, so it makes sense.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I feel like King is writing Diana similar to how Perez & Jimenez did. He said that he took influences from those runs so that might be why.
    Jiminez' Diana sounded a lot more natural by comparison to King.

It's not even like she's the only character who sounds kind of stiff under his pen.

Extraordinary Member

Well, natural is subjective, I suppose. Like as has already been mentioned, there are ESL people that do sound very similar.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

I guess the real problem isn't that King isn't writing Diana unrealistically (robotic, perhaps, but that goes with most of his characters), but that he's writing her in a way that she isn't usually written.

It's like if Superman was written to speak in a Kansas accent - sure, people from Kansas and especially small towns in Kansas speak like that, but we don't typically think of Superman talking in a Kansas accent.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Well, natural is subjective, I suppose. Like as has already been mentioned, there are ESL people that do sound very similar.
    I think it's just more a quirk of Kings' writing.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    I guess the real problem isn't that King isn't writing Diana unrealistically (robotic, perhaps, but that goes with most of his characters), but that he's writing her in a way that she isn't usually written.

It's like if Superman was written to speak in a Kansas accent - sure, people from Kansas and especially small towns in Kansas speak like that, but we don't typically think of Superman talking in a Kansas accent.
    Superman speaking with a country accent is pretty funny. Someone should try that in something, at least just for the novelty, like Supes encountering a version of himself that speaks country.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I find it questionable he's taking influence from either of those runs since he supposedly didn't know who Julia and Vanessa Kapatelis were.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I find it questionable he's taking influence from either of those runs since he supposedly didn't know who Julia and Vanessa Kapatelis were.
    Vanessa as the Silver Swan was just in issue #5 so I don't think that's accurate.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    It reminded me of "The Gilded Age" where the hand of the Statue of Liberty is in the middle Central Park and you get a true sense of it's enormous scale.

I remember this episode! I love me some The Gilded Age! I live in NYC, so it's always fascinating to see the Statue of Liberty in its original copper rather than its oxidized state.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    In an interview, he said he started with George Perez.

I think he just read everything else and forgot who they were, lol.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~