Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    And no one knowing how to keep their mouths shut. A beast starro just happens to jump the moment they open their mouths
    In fairness its not like the spore wouldn't just force itself down your mouth.

I don't think a face mask matters to a mutant flying starfish that would most likely just tear it off or force itself through your mask.

The perfect defense there is a sealed helmet like Black Manta's mask which is sealed at the microscopic level.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    In fairness its not like the spore wouldn't just force itself down your mouth.

I don't think a face mask matters to a mutant flying starfish that would most likely just tear it off or force itself through your mask.

The perfect defense there is a sealed helmet like Black Manta's mask which is sealed at the microscopic level.
    They didn't try anything though.

I'm so over Sovereign.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Nice to see some creators using Giganta to her full potential. I don't think we've seen her like this since Alex Ross' Justice maxi-series or Infinite Crisis where she captured Power Girl.
    What issue did Giganta fight powergirl?

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

On this subject I liked Giganta's appearance in the original Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle series.

She was so overwhelming and basically unstoppable, Jaime only defeated her by working together with Peacemaker using his knowledge of the human body to literally launch his body like a rocket at her giant pressure points to bring her down.

She also had a cool appearance in Gail Simone's Secret Six series, getting revenge on Dwarfstar for the murder of her boyfriend Ryan Choi/Atom 3.

Has any Wonder Woman writer ever made Giganta the unstoppable, super-strength-wielding, block-decimating threat one would think she is? Here is another WW villain with great potential who is generally reduced to a joke by the WW book itself. Thankfully, King seems to have avoided that. Cannot wait to get the new issue!

For this issue

Best part: massive middle finger to the Daddy Zeus origin

Worst part: shut the **** up Sovereign

Also Giganta does get taken down in one hit (whoops), still a cool fight though.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 02-20-2024 at 04:09 AM.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WonderLight789 View Post
    What issue did Giganta fight powergirl?
    I don't remember the exact issue number but it was in the early part of Infinite Crisis. Giganta was able to capture & hold Power Girl in the grip of her hand, proving that her strength is on par with Kryptonians.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Fantastic Member

A great issue. Didn't hate Sovereigns narration as much as I thought I would especially since it was so much this issue, but that is probably because a lot of it was positive about Diana.
    It seems like King is aware of Diana's immunity/resistance to mind control so nice that he acknowledged that.

Astonishing Member

Can Sovereign finally shut the hell up? He's so boring, Jeez.
    Apart from that, great issue.

Pros:
    - Amazing action and art in general
    - Clay origin confirmed (though you never know with DC)

Cons:
    - Vanessa's characterization is yuck
    - Grail is the only one who's treated as a legit threat

Thought this was a good showing for Giganta, Circe, and Grail, action was pretty stellar, and always nice to see an "F you" to the Zeus origin.

Psycho and Angle Man were just background mostly and still not a fan of this Swan.

Circe clearly just being here for the lolz was pretty funny.

I genuinely don’t think she cared if they took down Diana or not.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Alright, I was feeling bad about things after the Trinity special but I'm back in. This issue slapped.

I actually liked Sovereign's narration here. It really reinforced Diana's mythic scale. Ridiculous comic book feats can feel kind of rote, but the narration actually conveyed how completely insane it is for a woman to throw the Washington Monument across a city.

And it was pretty essential for the Grail fight. The 9-panel grids with empty colored backgrounds made it feel more personal by focusing on their expressions/bodies (which I loved) but the narration really sold it as a huge, mythic clash between two goddesses. I know some people may prefer more of a "show, don't tell" approach, but it was a lot more interesting, emotional, and creative to me than some faceless DBZ fight with a bunch of careless destruction.

Plus it gave us one of the best lines I've ever seen in a WW book:

"The second-oldest story is of gods clashing. Deciding the fates of worlds with their muscles and mettle. And the oldest? Never written in stone or ink but passed down generation to generation through the whispers of mothers to their daughters. It is the tale of a woman pushed to the ground. How she rose again."

That's what it's all about!!!! Especially with Diana's excellent line about her mother making her from water, clay, and hope.

Other things:

- Looks like Donna nabbed Steel. So the WGs weren't in the thick of it, but they're still involved.

- The stuff with Silver Swan was weird. I wish they'd just give this character another name, Vanessa's not worth including without the Perez origin.

- Confirmed that King's Diana can still fly. Odd that this issue is the first time she's done it in the whole run.

- Another item on Daniel Sampere's long list of talents: Drawing really adorable cats.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Also Giganta does get taken down in one hit (whoops), still a cool fight though.
    She does give Diana a solid beating first though. Granted, she's beefed up by Circe's magic but still.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Great issue.

I, to....am tiring of the Sovvy narration. We dont need it throughout the ENTIREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE issue. But I enjoyed it towards the beginning with how he was talking about Steve, how he is viewed, how they underestimate him, and how he upped his mental blocks that it needed two to take him down.

The fights with Diana were great. Circe helping out and then just disappearing...good move by Circe. She didnt care enough to give Sovvy to much of her time. Just Swan up Silver Swan who is used purely to distract WW.

Gigantia was able to get the best of WW somewhat and over exerted herself which made her take down a bit easier.

It looks like Donna kidnapped Steel? Will be interesting to see where that goes.

WW/Grail fight was fun, if anyone can give her a run for her money, Grail definitely should be able to. The narration says how big the fight actually was, and it certainly looked brutal, I think I would've liked to see 1 panel of them locking punches that showcases the shockwave.

Trinity backup....its cute but...why are we going backwards in time with her? We get it...Jon/Demon babysit her. Chaos ensues. Lets get to the next phase and life of Trinity.