Mighty Member

Default Comics with NO women in them?

Where the hell were the women in the Tintin comics?
    I recall a rich old society dame but that was about it.

Anyone else know comics like this?

In most of comics of my childhood like Tintin, the women were few and far between… Rarely completely absent but the rares ones played a small role.

To quote a US comic:

“Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

I would think the old war comics in the 40s had very few women in them. At least the ones I have read Like Sargent Rock and Nick Fury did not seem to have many at all.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Mighty Member

Some writers and artists are somewhat asexual and don't write women well. Tintin was very old style "boys own " adventure comic. The women in Steve ditto comics look like Nancy reagen and ayn rand. Love craft adaptations are short of women too...
    Last edited by AnthonyO'Brien; 02-17-2024 at 04:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    In most of comics of my childhood like Tintin, the women were few and far between… Rarely completely absent but the rares ones played a small role.

To quote a US comic:

Well, only two main characters in "Devil Dinosaur" but there were women. But they were just as hairy as the men except on the faces.

I'll grant that the only woman I remember is the "Eve" character from the 2001 ripoff with the alien computer that resembled a tree.
    Power with Girl is better.

I remember that the first issue of the Geoff Johns/ Jim Lee Justice League seemed to have no woman with a speaking line. That was odd. I think it was more that it was a comic that could be read quickly (one-sixth of the total story) that was a conflict between multiple male superheroes.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Mighty Member

Then there's those Gay adult comics. I've seen the covers and now realise how women feel about "exaggerated" drawings of them!

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post
    Some writers and artists are somewhat asexual and don't write women well. Tintin was very old style "boys own " adventure comic. The women in Steve ditto comics look like Nancy reagen and ayn rand. Love craft adaptations are short of women too...
    In the past, in Europe, comics’ target was young children. It was later that they made comics for teenagers and adults.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post

Well, only two main characters in "Devil Dinosaur" but there were women. But they were just as hairy as the men except on the faces.

I'll grant that the only woman I remember is the "Eve" character from the 2001 ripoff with the alien computer that resembled a tree.
    I remember Eve — strong character — but I don’t think she was in that issue.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post
    Then there's those Gay adult comics. I've seen the covers and now realise how women feel about "exaggerated" drawings of them!
    Tom of Finland?