Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Dr. Valerie Cooper “Girlboss” Appreciation Thread 2024

With all the recent chatter of human allies and questions of her whereabouts, I feel it was time the Val army rose up and show some appreciation for the X-Men’s favorite frenemy/human ally/girlboss “the Bitch” Dr. Valerie “Val” Cooper!!!

IMG_2154.jpg

Such a complex and rich character not only in the X-Men universe but also in the Marvel universe in general, with her position in the Office of National Emergency as the liaison for superhuman affairs, Valerie started off as a primary antagonist to the mutants and then transitioned to one of the primary noteworthy human allies of mutantkind with X-Factor.

IMG_2152.jpg

Her character arc certainly has fluctuated throughout the ages depending on the writer, but one thing is certain is that Valerie is very much a scene stealer and a fan favorite based on how much people love/hate her. Say whatever you want about Peter David’s X-Factor Investigations series (I personally wasn’t a fan and I’ll leave it there) but there’s no denying he’s the definitive Val writer and really redeemed the character after she was essentially destroyed as a character during the 198 era.

IMG_2153.jpg

Now that Val is geared up to make her media debut in “X-Men the Animated Series 97” and hopefully will make a resurgence in the books after her hiatus since the US Agent miniseries back in 2020, where would you like to see this Queen appear next in the upcoming new Brevoort era? Do you want to see her still fighting for the rights for mutantkind or reset to factory settings as someone opposed to mutant rights with her governmental position? Or do you want her to just F off and join war criminal Abigail Brand wherever she’s at? Discuss.

Where my fellow Val stans at?
    Emma Frost, Rogue, Felicia Hardy, Helena Bertinelli, Allison Blaire, Barbara Gordon, Monica Rambeau, Carol Danvers, Illyana Rasputin, Ororo Munroe, Harleen Quinzel, Lorna Dane, Irene Adler, Kate Kane, Rachel Grey Summers, Jean Grey, Diana Prince, Barbara Ann Minerva, Donna Troy, Jennifer Walters, Gwen Stacy, Wanda Maximoff = PERFECTION!

I'm wondering just what they'll actually do with her... 'cause IIRC Val was the govt liaison or something?

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I appreciate Val and I'm looking forward to her making her animated debut and hopefully her return to the comics pages as well.

Like I was saying in the other Val thread, I can easily see her as the X-universe's Amanda Waller (OG one, not the current one who's outright villainous), a morally grey character who's not above using mutants for her own ends and playing both sides to get what she wants. Her Freedom Force team was pretty much Marvel's Suicide Squad and actually preceded it by a couple of years.

My friend D'Manda Martini does cosplay drag and just did Val Cooper. https://www.instagram.com/p/C3SgGtlr..._web_copy_link
    Queen of Mutants, Mistress of Magnetism, Magnetrix and the MII, Pestilence of the Horsemen of Apocalypse, the Krakoan Oracle and creator of the Sanctus Sacrum Tournament Key, the Threshold Seed Shaper, Brood Queen of the Fall of the House of X, Lorna Sally Dane, Ph.D., of the House of M, Polaris of the X-Men

MCU missed out when coming up with Evil Nick Fury counterpart to recruit their THUNDERBOLTS team. Why warp Contessa when you have Valerie Cooper waiting in the wings? Too X-Verse centric?

Loved the occasions where Val got her hands dirty in the field with one of her teams.

And that complicated relationship with Raven/Mystique
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

When was Vals last appearance? I don't remember anything past X-Factor where she was seen as a traitor to them.

Flatscan? Yikes. And I like Pietro.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    When was Vals last appearance? I don't remember anything past X-Factor where she was seen as a traitor to them.

Flatscan? Yikes. And I like Pietro.
    Last I recall was Priest's U.S. Agent limited series.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Last I recall was Priest's U.S. Agent limited series.
    Thanks.

10 characters.

that makes me miss Mutant Pietro.

Honestly? I never liked Pietro 'cause I though he was well.. still acting like a member of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.... IE an evil jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Honestly? I never liked Pietro 'cause I though he was well.. still acting like a member of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.... IE an evil jerk.
    That was one of the beats that didn't ring true from PAD's X-FACTOR treatment of Val. Weepy "but you're my FRIENDS!!!!" Val Cooper. A little too openly vulnerable.
    I much prefer the tough as nails, scheming, almost conniving, get the job done Val from her early appearances. She was on par with SUICIDE SQUAD's Amanda Waller in that sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    That was one of the beats that didn't ring true from PAD's X-FACTOR treatment of Val. Weepy "but you're my FRIENDS!!!!" Val Cooper. A little too openly vulnerable.
    I much prefer the tough as nails, scheming, almost conniving, get the job done Val from her early appearances. She was on par with SUICIDE SQUAD's Amanda Waller in that sense.

I was making the parallel with Amanda Waller earlier in this thread as I think it's a fitting one. Val should absolutely be written as tough as nails - her letting Mystique shoot her and replace her to catch Jacob Reisz was totally badass.

Dr. Valerie Cooper and "My Night with the Madroxes" by George Perez
    ( I never noticed the rainbow theme of the swimsuits, wonder if that was a pride theme hint or just colorful choice- given the time period, prob the latter)

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Dr. Valerie Cooper and "My Night with the Madroxes" by George Perez
    ( I never noticed the rainbow theme of the swimsuits, wonder if that was a pride theme hint or just colorful choice- given the time period, prob the latter)
    Especially given that none of the Madrii is wearing the same color as Val.

I was surprised and delighted at the relatively large role Val played in the first 2 episodes of X-Men '97. I was expecting a cameo but it looks like she actually has a role to play. So now it's the perfect time to bring her back in the comics!