The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

Default Justice League: Crisis of Infinite Earths opinions

What was your opinion of the Justice League: Crisis of Infinite Earths part one? How would you have done it differently & who would you add to the cast? Or would you do it differently?
    Beware of spies traveling through your multiverse especially if they wear a 4

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by red winter View Post
    What was your opinion of the Justice League: Crisis of Infinite Earths part one? How would you have done it differently & who would you add to the cast? Or would you do it differently?
    Maybe I wasn't in the right mood for it, but I found it a bit slow. I did like the way they handled Barry and Iris in the story and I feel like it treated them a bit more kindly than the comic did. For as great of a moment as Barry's sacrifice was in the comic, it always felt so cruel to have him suffer for so long before finally getting a happy ending and then snatching it away. The adaptation made it easier to swallow, I think.

But, yeah, I thought it was a little slow, but I enjoyed it overall.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

We discussed it in the animated movie thread here: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ussion/page150

Starting on page 150.

These were my thoughts from the other thread:

“Not really a Crisis movie but a pretty okay Flash movie. I can’t help but feel weight of all the plates this film is trying to spin, in lieu of doing the world building in other movies. It really feels like the Tomorrowverse is ending before it even got started.

It took 11 years to finally get another movie with Flash as the main lead. Last time was Flashpoint (2013). With JSA WWII having Barry as the tag-along POV character.

spoilers:
    Pretty clever having Constantine from the DCAMU movies play the role of Pariah for this reimagining. Fingers crossed that the Spectre we see is Hal Jordan. After they shafted him in Beware My Power.
    end of spoilers

Going forward. I think Part 2 will focus on Supergirl, the League and the Anti-Monitor. I think Part 3 will focus on the Spectre, Flash, Superman, spoilers:
    Constantine, and Doctor Manhattan (incorporating the retcon of Manhattan from Doomsday Clock and as a teaser for the upcoming Watchmen animated movie.
    end of spoilers

I could be totally wrong though. Just what I could see them doing”.

My changes would’ve made it primarily a Crisis movie. And not a Tomorrowverse JL origin movie, Barry Allen flash forward/flashback story, featuring guest spots by the Crime Syndicate; with elements of COIE sprinkled through out.

The characters I would’ve added would’ve been previous versions of the JL from the DCAMU, Young Justice (since it’s cancelled again), an the Timmverse DCAU. This is the 8th movie in the Tomorrowverse and the first to provide any sign that it is a continuation of the DCAMU. Why change art styles and reboot at all if you were just going to continue the story? COIE had been something TPTB for these animated projects stated they wanted to do since either 2017/2018 at SDCC. This turkey has been cooking a long time and I’d like to know what’s been going on behind the scenes.

With all animated projects being cancelled to streamline continuity with the upcoming Gunnverse. The scattershot approach of films affects their presentation of Crisis.

Fantastic Member

Doctor Know:

I think you're right. We only have part 1, but it might end up a mishmash. The producers are trying to do too much, rather than focusing on the original or main story. More later.
    --jthree

Incredible Member

I really liked it, but it is

1st a Barry Allen movie

2nd a Justice League origin movie

3rd a CoIE introduction movie

Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

First of all they should have Matt Ryan doing Constantine's voice looking forward to the other three but it would have been better if The Crisis of Infinite Earth was one very long movie then, do the Infinite Crisis as the second about two and a half hours then finally, do the Final Crisis just like the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Also I want to say DCAMU was incredibly better than the MCU by leaps and bounds with exception of Captain America: Winter Soldier
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

Quote Originally Posted by red winter View Post
    ^^^Id rather they had adapted the actual comic.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^Id rather they had adapted the actual comic.
    This.

Other than that...I found it to be incredibly slow. More a Flash movie than a Justice League movie. It served some well enough, such as the Crime Syndicate. It was nice seeing some of the lesser known characters in the group shots though.
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski

It came off to me as misadvertised. Same as the Warworld stuff. It is like they had to pivot and are we are seeing leftovers used under different banners. For whatever reason, this crew seems stuck on Barry Allen and Time Travel as it was the focus of the mislabeled JSA movie as well. I purchased it but like the JSA and Warworld films, it makes the case for renting or viewing through torrent first. Sad to say but if they are this scattered and unfocused, a consumer must take steps to see her/his dollar protected.

That said, I had a much better time with the RWBY League crossover event.

Fantastic Member

Continuing on COIE film:

Disappointed, but I loved the music and visuals on the end credits. I know the writing team wanted to put their own stamp on COIE, but I feel that it was a mistake. There were powerful moments in the original comics that were lost in this translation. The producers are taking a little bit of this and a little of that universe, which I knew COIE did, but I can't agree with the producer's choices choices. I can tell the producers put time and effort into the story, but they're trying to do too much, and without being more consistent to the source material they are going to end up with a mess.

In the comics, Barry and Hal were always great friends and here he's portrayed as a jerk. Stewart is a great Lantern, but I never cared for the Hal is portrayed here. Oh wait, is this the Earth where Hal goes evil and becomes Parallax? Oh, bother!

Barry's original fate in the Crisis book wasn't nearly as confusing. Here, he's given three different ending scenarios. One is his future self facing himself when the lightning first struck him in the lab. This reminded me of the late eighties flashback origin which revealed that Barry himself was the lightning that gave himself his connection to the speed force. Then, there's the scene where he goes back into time and sees someone who looks like Batman, and tries to warn him of something. Wasn't something like this in Final Crisis? Oh, and the Specter, the Wraith of God, telling Barry at the end, he had some responsibility for the Crisis? Seemed wrong. But I give Barry credit for saying he "was ready." How many of us would face punishment like that? All those added on subplots from the original Crisis will dilute the story.

Also didn't care for Supergirl being Harbinger in this interpretation? I'm sure we will found out why in part 2, but I figured Lyta had the right to her own character. Condensing characters in three films shouldn't be.

This JLA version is hard to empathize with. Maybe it's because they're not the ones I grew up with, but they seemed way off to me. The "Earth 2" Robin and Huntress introducing themselves to a Bruce that never knew them and his subsequent reactions to them. The main Batman in this story should have at least adopted Dick at this point.

Had a great many conflicted feelings about this film. Haven't cared for the Tomorrowverse, and the current writers putting their own stamp on things. It's hard enough to be faithful to the original story. Now, when I say that, I realize film and movie adaptions of classics such as 1984, Animal House, Shakespeare, etc all can have their own reinterpretations over the years. They have been analyzed and critiqued for strengths and weaknesses. But still . . . . . the purist in me has a hard time with some of these changes. I'll probably have to watch parts 2 and 3 to see where all this is going. So my opinions might be in transit.

--jthree

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JThree View Post
    Continuing on COIE film:

Disappointed, but I loved the music and visuals on the end credits. I know the writing team wanted to put their own stamp on COIE, but I feel that it was a mistake. There were powerful moments in the original comics that were lost in this translation. The producers are taking a little bit of this and a little of that universe, which I knew COIE did, but I can't agree with the producer's choices choices. I can tell the producers put time and effort into the story, but they're trying to do too much, and without being more consistent to the source material they are going to end up with a mess.

In the comics, Barry and Hal were always great friends and here he's portrayed as a jerk. Stewart is a great Lantern, but I never cared for the Hal is portrayed here. Oh wait, is this the Earth where Hal goes evil and becomes Parallax? Oh, bother!

Barry's original fate in the Crisis book wasn't nearly as confusing. Here, he's given three different ending scenarios. One is his future self facing himself when the lightning first struck him in the lab. This reminded me of the late eighties flashback origin which revealed that Barry himself was the lightning that gave himself his connection to the speed force. Then, there's the scene where he goes back into time and sees someone who looks like Batman, and tries to warn him of something. Wasn't something like this in Final Crisis? Oh, and the Specter, the Wraith of God, telling Barry at the end, he had some responsibility for the Crisis? Seemed wrong. But I give Barry credit for saying he "was ready." How many of us would face punishment like that? All those added on subplots from the original Crisis will dilute the story.

Also didn't care for Supergirl being Harbinger in this interpretation? I'm sure we will found out why in part 2, but I figured Lyta had the right to her own character. Condensing characters in three films shouldn't be.

This JLA version is hard to empathize with. Maybe it's because they're not the ones I grew up with, but they seemed way off to me. The "Earth 2" Robin and Huntress introducing themselves to a Bruce that never knew them and his subsequent reactions to them. The main Batman in this story should have at least adopted Dick at this point.

Had a great many conflicted feelings about this film. Haven't cared for the Tomorrowverse, and the current writers putting their own stamp on things. It's hard enough to be faithful to the original story. Now, when I say that, I realize film and movie adaptions of classics such as 1984, Animal House, Shakespeare, etc all can have their own reinterpretations over the years. They have been analyzed and critiqued for strengths and weaknesses. But still . . . . . the purist in me has a hard time with some of these changes. I'll probably have to watch parts 2 and 3 to see where all this is going. So my opinions might be in transit.

--jthree
    @bold
    The Spectre and Barry scene is a loose follow-up to the Constantine: The House of Mystery exchange between Constantine and Spectre. At the time of that film’s release (2022), it was seen as a sort of epilogue to the now defunct DCAMU. With no connection establishing Constantine’s punishment to continue into the Tomorrowverse. House of Mystery was a series of short stories (like its title comic from the 60s-70s) with DCAMU connections at the tail-end of it.

Most people I know haven’t even seen Constantine: The House of Mystery. More mismashed/scattershot approach for the animated office.