Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    A lot of these picks have already been used, but I might have one or two new considerations in there:

1. Captain Atom - Team leader and arguably the most powerful member, Captain Atom is a good soldier who'll follow orders as long as they don't present a serious moral compromise.
    2. Nightshade - Along for the ride with her old partner Captain Atom, Nightshade represents the murkier espionage element of it all. She's also someone who has no issues disobeying orders in order to do the right thing.
    3. Skyrocket - After some time in the private sector, Skyrocket is ready to return to serving her country, viewing the team as the perfect opportunity to do so.
    4. The General - The shaved-down Shaggy Man is back in the fold and looking to make amends for his past actions, taking comfort in government service again. Of course, taking orders from his old rival might not sit very well with him...
    5. Spy-Smasher - The most morally dubious of the team, Spy-Smasher operates in the grey areas, often covertly completing the tasks the other members have rejected. Her arrogance is apparent in her disdain for her colleagues.
    6. The Veteran - The immortal solider who's fought in every war, the Veteran finds himself overwhelmed in the current world and sees the team as the means to simplify his mission. He's loyal to a fault.
    7. Patriot - In a twist, the previous form of Uncle Sam remains, having split apart as a symbol of the country's division. Patriot is representative of the American spirit, though what that means today sets him up as the most potentially dangerous and volatile member.
    ^^^I like it!
    I can see The Veteran and General Eiling really not getting along.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Cool team.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post

Sadly, I think such a book would become too political, but it's a good idea!
    And what's wrong with that? I used to love those more politically charged books of the late 80's-early 90's DC. Though I will agree that, unfortunately, the current crop of writers seem unable to handle such a book with the proper sublety and impartiality. When it comes to politics, writers nowdays seem VERY heavyhanded.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    A lot of these picks have already been used, but I might have one or two new considerations in there:

1. Captain Atom - Team leader and arguably the most powerful member, Captain Atom is a good soldier who'll follow orders as long as they don't present a serious moral compromise.
    2. Nightshade - Along for the ride with her old partner Captain Atom, Nightshade represents the murkier espionage element of it all. She's also someone who has no issues disobeying orders in order to do the right thing.
    3. Skyrocket - After some time in the private sector, Skyrocket is ready to return to serving her country, viewing the team as the perfect opportunity to do so.
    4. The General - The shaved-down Shaggy Man is back in the fold and looking to make amends for his past actions, taking comfort in government service again. Of course, taking orders from his old rival might not sit very well with him...
    5. Spy-Smasher - The most morally dubious of the team, Spy-Smasher operates in the grey areas, often covertly completing the tasks the other members have rejected. Her arrogance is apparent in her disdain for her colleagues.
    6. The Veteran - The immortal solider who's fought in every war, the Veteran finds himself overwhelmed in the current world and sees the team as the means to simplify his mission. He's loyal to a fault.
    7. Patriot - In a twist, the previous form of Uncle Sam remains, having split apart as a symbol of the country's division. Patriot is representative of the American spirit, though what that means today sets him up as the most potentially dangerous and volatile member.
    Cool. IMHO, these kind of teams have great story potential.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    writers seem unable to handle such a book with the proper sublety and impartiality. When it comes to politics, writers nowdays seem VERY heavyhanded.

Peace
    ^^^They're heavy handed w. pretty much everything. I don’t enjoy being preached at.
    It’s why I avoid certain books.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^They're Don and Dawn Allen!
    I've always loved these two -- and even moreso when it was revealed they were Barry's kids. I'd love to see them become more integrated in the DCU.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post

And what's wrong with that? I used to love those more politically charged books of the late 80's-early 90's DC. Though I will agree that, unfortunately, the current crop of writers seem unable to handle such a book with the proper sublety and impartiality. When it comes to politics, writers nowdays seem VERY heavyhanded.

Peace
    That is the problem. If taken as a more centrist approach, it can get into the political aspects and pitfalls that would arise. But if's too heavy handed (left or right), that takes all of the fun out of it. That is my problem in general with today's comic books -- way too serious.

When the Govt. wants a villain OR hero to receive a legendary beatdown, she and her team will deliver just that.

ENCHANTRESS
    Other than her choice of costume color, Star Sapphire has no issues w. Enchantress, who brings the magical muscle.

STEPPENWOLF
    Oh how the mighty have fallen. Being reduced to the ”big guy” on an Earthbound team of Govt. agents is big step down from Steppenwolf’s usual status. Still, even Gods need to make a buck.

AMAZO, GIZMO
    The self aware Amazo and the self serving Gizmo work remarkably well together on the tech side of things. In return for hiding behind Amazo when things get rough, Gizmo performs routine maintenance and upgrades on the android.

BLOODSPORT, RED LION
    Despite hating eachother on sight, the white supremacist and the African despot have found common ground in cold blooded murder and mayhem. The two are incredibly deadly in their own unique ways.
    ^^^Yeah I can see that!
    Okay, let me mix it up a little…:

CAPTAIN ATOM & BOMBSHELL
    The leader of the Govt. sponsored team, and his distaff counterpart don’t always get along.

THE SHAGGY MAN
    Gen. Eiling is a career Military man in an indestructible bio engineered body is all about Mission first.

MANITOU RAVEN & MANITOU DAWN
    The husband and wife team are powerful mystics w. differing styles of darkness and light.

THE ATOM
    The pint sized powerhouse brings decades of experience to the table.

RAVEN
    The Native American bird themed Demi Goddess is aloof but dependable.

THE TORNADO TWINS
    The time displaced speedsters have offered their services to the Govt. in exchange for safe haven.

S.T.R.I.P.E.
    The gifted mechanical engineer w. his giant high tech mecha brings brains and brawn.

SIREN
    The ocean colored youngster w. potent aquatic abilities is trying to change her criminal ways.
    I think you could use both teams as JLA. One group is the ready for the public team while the other one are the down and dirty recruits.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-24-2024 at 10:51 AM.

I think you could use both teams as JLA. One group is the ready for the public team while the other one are the down and dirty recruits.
    ^^^Hadnt thought of that. I like it!

^^^Hadnt thought of that. I like it!
    It's easy political commentary, moral ambiguity, and a source of conflict between the two teams.

It's easy political commentary, moral ambiguity, and a source of conflict between the two teams.
    You are now my writer.

You are now my writer.
    Just have your people call my people and we'll work out the details.

Just have your people call my people and we'll work out the details.
    [

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I've always loved these two -- and even moreso when it was revealed they were Barry's kids. I'd love to see them become more integrated in the DCU.
    The problem with that is, they've never been the heroes of their own story. Their first appearance was a way to get the Legion of Super-Heroes to acknowledge the 1,000 years later anniversary (I think) of Barry Allen's career as the Flash, all the way back in the late 60's, using some sort of temporarily-granted speed powers. They didn't make an appearance again outside of the occasional crowd scene until the Five Years Later era of the LSH in the early 90s, and that was essentially a hallucination they shared while they were being put to death by the Dominators. The most important thing they ever did was that each of them is the parent of a younger descendant of Barry's: One's a parent of Bart Allen, the other is the parent of Jenny Ognatz, Bart's cousin, AKA XS of the Reboot Legion. Somewhere in-between their deaths and the introduction of Bart, they were retconned from being Barry's descendants to being his and Iris's kids. But they've never really been heroes themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Taskforce Justice! -- S.T.R.I.P.E. - Nemesis - Skyrocket - Captain Atom - Agent Liberty - Nightshade - Spartan - Artemis
    Ok, this is a cool line-up. Also it like to see Cap Atom so often in the different proposals.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I liked Guardian but that feels too on the nose with the Captain America parallels.

Besides Captain Atom are there any good government supported heroes? Peacemaker is fun but is an *******.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    The problem with that is, they've never been the heroes of their own story. Their first appearance was a way to get the Legion of Super-Heroes to acknowledge the 1,000 years later anniversary (I think) of Barry Allen's career as the Flash, all the way back in the late 60's, using some sort of temporarily-granted speed powers. They didn't make an appearance again outside of the occasional crowd scene until the Five Years Later era of the LSH in the early 90s, and that was essentially a hallucination they shared while they were being put to death by the Dominators. The most important thing they ever did was that each of them is the parent of a younger descendant of Barry's: One's a parent of Bart Allen, the other is the parent of Jenny Ognatz, Bart's cousin, AKA XS of the Reboot Legion. Somewhere in-between their deaths and the introduction of Bart, they were retconned from being Barry's descendants to being his and Iris's kids. But they've never really been heroes themselves.
    @Riv86672's pitch is a good way to develop them as characters.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-23-2024 at 09:15 AM.

Incredible Member

The Charleston Comics characters would/should be the government equivalent of the Justice League of America, if the setting was in "modern" times.