Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This art is from Vecchio? His style is really evolving!
    Mutant and Proud!

Astonishing Member

Echoing the accolades for Vecchio's art. He's really upped his game for this one. I've always been a fan but this is next level for him.

Bringing back my theory that Ewing's been building up a kind of pantheon of seven cosmological antagonists/entities that embody each of the seven fundamental narrative conflicts. We know we're going to see the Shadow King in this, but I think we're about to meet or see hints of a new one in these next issues, possibly linked to the Deep Key they called back to in this preview. There's a mystery around this Deep Key, where it goes, what it does, and I feel like that mystery likely has something to do with some kind of entity...someone had to make it, after all.

The seven driving narrative conflicts are:

1) Person vs Self
    2) Person vs Supernatural
    3) Person vs Person
    4) Person vs Technology
    5) Person vs Fate
    6) Person vs Nature
    7) Person vs Society

Ewing's made a point in recent stories such as X-Men Red to evoke associations and reminders of the Shadow King and the Adversary in every mention of Annihilation, which I think is because they're three of these seven, and aside from Gillen's Sinister stuff, Ewing's been the number one architect for building up Enigma as a major, timeless, cosmic level antagonist outside of the X-books, in meta narratives like Defenders Beyond. In fact, all of Ewing's stories deal with the idea of narratives and tropes & archetypes as sentient powers, which is in keeping with this idea here, that there are seven great antagonists driving most Marvel narratives.

I view the Shadow King as #1, the Person vs Self entity. The Adversary is #2, the Person vs Supernatural entity. Annihilation is #3, the Person vs Person entity. Enigma could be #4, the Person vs Technology entity. With all the focus on fate and judgment, the references to the Deep Key and its ties to something eldritch, something ancient, I think its tied to a Person vs Fate entity who will become a Big Bad in coming years and we're gonna get our first look at them here, or at least hints of them. And I think Immortal Thor and its focus on Gaea and the Elder Gods, the cycle of nature and the nature of cycles, is where Ewing's building up to introducing a Person vs Nature entity, just for the record. Which just leaves a Person vs Society entity for him to reveal in some future project.

But anyway. Its not just the Shadow King to look out for here, IMO. I'm betting there's a Fate linked entity on the level of the Shadow King, Adversary and Annihilation with a role set to play here.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    Curious who the blue woman is. A mutant? An Atlantian?

Nevermind, she's Dr. Alain I suppose the blue is either lighting or shadow.
    Did not expect her to be remembered. On the other hand, that paper clip murder was probably Magneto's most brutal one at least in the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    Luciano Vecchio impresses here. Everyone's rightly focused on Ewing's superb writing but I think this is shaping up to be a career's best for Luciano.
    His art really is maturing. I like it a lot.