Extraordinary Member

Default Nightwing #111 Preview

Nightwing #111 Preview
    Writer: Tom King
    Artist: Sami Basri
    Backup Writer: Michael W. Conrad
    Backup Artist: Francesco Francavilla

I get what Taylor is going for but I just find it kind of comical that spotting a child near a dead parent is apparently enough to make Bruce freeze up and have Dick flashbacks.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

fter the weird misstep that was the previous pirate story Taylor returns to form with this reunion of the Dynamic Duo. Don't get me wrong, I still think Heartless is a pointless edgelord villain with a gimmick only worthy of a one shot and this story isn't going to change that but the team up between Bruce and Dick was fantastic. This isn't the first time we've gotten characterization of Dick by contrasting him against Bruce, but unlike many of the prior instances in this case Bruce doesn't come off as looking bad in order to prop Dick up; instead Bruce just comes across as being different and the bond between them despite their differences made both the better for it. I think the only real negative was that Taylor made it too clear and too soon that the murderer wasn't actually Heartless; sure there wasn't a need to stretch it out overly long but it came across as a little too easy. That said, the book seems back on track and I'm excited to see where it goes. The back up though? Seems like a waste of Francavilla's art. The idea of one of Dick's ancient ancestors fighting a guy who looks like Joker just seems too contrived and I have zero interest in how it plays out.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Yeah, I really like this issue too. It's always good to see Dick as a skilled detective. It's also great to see Bruce and Dick working together instead of throwing punches. The only thing is that Bruce is a completely different character here than he is in his main book, but that's not a problem exclusive to Nightwing. He's also very different in Batman and Robin. It's almost like the writers prefer Bruce as a sane individual. Who would've thought?

The backup... like, why? Why have yet another origin for the Grayson name? The William Cobb story still serves its purpose, and this one that Conrad is writing isn't any better. Also, the cliffhanger... really, a Joker clone?
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

I don't think it was intended that way but the way they framed it makes it seem like Batman always freezes up when he spots a child with a dead parent and has Dick flashbacks and that's just funny to me.

You know if Redondo were drawing this Babs would be lounging in a shirt with a goofy or referential logo.

Suddenly Renee is supportive of vigilante's and willing to work with them. It's like no one can write her consistently as a commissioner.

Does it undermine Bruce that he really needed Alfred to teach him how to be a proper father to Dick? I guess it's just passing on what Alfred did to Bruce to Bruce so he can be that for Dick (even if sometimes writers just depict Alfred chipping in every time Bruce failed).

Dick not being able to jump is kind of a goofy conflict to me. Like, yeah, acrobat who can't jump would be kind of a big weakness but just conceptually it feels silly to me, especially drawing it out.

More wholesome kid and family moments for anyone reading this comic for those.

This is a Tom Taylor Nightwing comic, they're totally going to save that kid.

Yes, the hero will save the kid in danger at the end, such a Tom Taylor thing to do, never done before by any other writer.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Suddenly Renee is supportive of vigilante's and willing to work with them. It's like no one can write her consistently as a commissioner.
    Even wired she seems to know their secret identity, when Dick calls her he says "Hey it's Dick".

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    This isn't the first time we've gotten characterization of Dick by contrasting him against Bruce, but unlike many of the prior instances in this case Bruce doesn't come off as looking bad in order to prop Dick up;
    I feel the "Dick is better suited to talk with the kid" part goes again in that direction. Bruce can handle kids totally fine.

Seriously I think there are some classic issues like Batman #423 that should be required reading for anyone who want's to write Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Yes, the hero will save the kid in danger at the end, such a Tom Taylor thing to do, never done before by any other writer.
    I know, it's just been his bread and butter in this run. Gotta get in some cute kid content .