Default Ungoliant vs Ancalagon the Black

Ungoliant vs Ancalagon the Black

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Battle of the near-featless wonders. ^_^

Assuming this is Ungoliant sans her one-time, brief power-up, I suspect old Rushing-Jaws takes this; without her power-up, Ungoliant is a spirit of nebulous power, definitely beneath Melkor (and terrified of him), with feats for shrouding herself in darkness. Whereas Ancalagon is a guy whose death-throes destroyed three mountains normally figured as being roughly the size of Everest. Sure, he can't see her, but I'm pretty sure that thrashing around with mountain-destroying force is going make her life miserable.

Powered-up Ungoliant was capable of capturing Melkor, back when being Melkor meant something. He had already lost some of his power, but it was the start of his fall really, not the end. Ungoliant rather easily ensnared him. However, her webs were burned away by the fires of the Balrogs and when faced with Melkor + Balrogs (and their flames) she fled.

Ancalagon is noted as having fire-breath, and Gandalf puts his as the most potent fire-breath out of all of the dragons. I'm leery of Ungoliant's webs doing much of anything to him, given how the Balrogs just burned them away.

I think - given Ungoliant doesn't have any other combat feats - I THINK I'm going to give the nod to Ancalagon based on 'Fire-Breath is a hard counter to her big power, and Ancalagon has at least the physical oomph to bust mountains'.

Mileage may vary.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate