Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thumbs up List your all-time WORST DC Comics

In honor of this thread - https://community.cbr.com/showthread...rite-DC-Comics,
    I thought a parallel thread with the all time WORST DC Comics may be in order.

off the top of my head, my picks would be:
    • JLA Cry for Justice and its follow up Rise and Fall arc
    • All Star Batman and Robin
    • War of the Supermen mini series, capping off the New Krypton arc
    • Superman Grounded
    • Batman Confidential Lovers and Madmen
    • Dark Knight Strikes Again

Injustice by Tom Taylor

This thread has "bad idea" written all over it.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Is it sad that I've read worse than what's already brought up? Like those still have redeeming qualities.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Not necessarily one issue but the entire transition arc from the New 52 Superman to the Rebirth Superman. The whole thing was a convoluted mess that made no sense and was clearly just slapped together to bring back the pre-Flashpoint Superman as quickly as possible without having to come up with some plausible explanation. They did the same thing with WW to make sure her relationship with Superman never happened. I don't know if this is even still canon anymore. Lana was the one who grew up with the New 52 Clark which everyone just kind of lampshaded over. The late-2016 early 2017 period was a mess.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

All of New 52.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Heroes in Crisis
    Dark Crisis

Flash: Rebirth is bad for its retcons rather than its actual storytelling, but it was a frustrating read.

This…

…was a huge piece of trash.

Amazons Attack
    Identity Crisis
    Countdown
    JLA: Act of God
    Catwoman: Guardian of Gotham
    Superman/Wonder Woman: Whom Gods Destroy
    Robinson's and Finch's runs on Wonder Woman

Heroes In Crisis
    Superman: Grounded
    Nightwing: Ric Grayson years
    LSH: Bendisboot
    Titans/YJ: Graduation Day mini

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Convergence
    Heroes In Crisis
    Lobdell's Teen Titans

Just to name a fews

Identity Crisis
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Fantastic Member

One Bad Day: Riddler.

It's everything I despise about modern comics.

Taking a fun, wacky character and make him all dark and edgy, complete with an origin story involving abuse.

The writer having no idea how to convincingly write an intelligent character so instead just treating intelligence as a cheat code superpower.

Cannibalizing a famous old story to gain legitimacy. The retcon to The Killing Joke was pointless

And of course King's trademark awkward, stilted dialogue.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    LSH: Bendisboot
    Add in the Threeboot/Waidboot too. I have never seen Waid **** the bed so badly before, and it was on a series he had already rebooted once before that was much better. So bad even he got bored with his own writing. It was so boring it even made Barry Kitson's art boring.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Add in the Threeboot/Waidboot too. I have never seen Waid **** the bed so badly before, and it was on a series he had already rebooted once before that was much better. So bad even he got bored with his own writing. It was so boring it even made Barry Kitson's art boring.
    I bought both all of the Threeboot and Bendisboot because I love the Legion and will give just about any Legion a try, but gosh, he did seem to get his stuff mixed up. Daxam was being admitted to the United Planets in the first few issues, as a background comment. A year or so later, Daxam was a dead world, after a genocidal war with Trom? Uh, which is it? And that's just one example. Shady was shown using her 'Lights Out Lass' darkness field powers from the classic continuity through almost the entire run, except one issue, where the Legion are bickering between a leadership struggle between Brainy and Cos, and she blasts Sun Boy in the gut with a 'darkness blast' that causes him to double over as if he's been actually hit by something solid, like how Reboot Umbra's powers worked. Which, fine, this was a different Shady, not 'classic' Shady, she totally could have had darkforce powers to generate solid dark constructs or blasts, *but she never ever did that against an enemy, the entire run,* which makes me think it was just another writer error.

Lots of poorly-thought out changes-for-changes-sake, it seemed.

Superboy's Legion, which had a Light Lass who produced actual light effects (and an aristocrat, and friends with Projectra), and Brainy and Lyle as 'clone sibs' and various other changes, was, IMO, much better. So it's entirely possible to make an AU Legion that is consistent and cool and fun, just, the Threeboot (and even more so, the incomprehensible Bendisboot, where Dr. Fate, Gold Lantern, White Witch, Brainiac 5 *and* Ultra Boy were all shown with force-field powers at various times, for... reasons?) didn't manage to pull it off.

I think original characters like Theena and Gazelle were the best things about the Threeboot.