Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    JLA ACT OF GOD
    JLA CREATED EQUAL

the second one is a very icky peak into Fabian Nicieza's brain and it is not pretty. Were it not for Kevin Maguire's gorgeous art, this would just be another monument to the M word ready to chuck in the furnace
    Is that the one where they all lose their powers and Batman is the only one who is fine while Superman becomes an alcoholic and Lois kicks him out and he shacks up with WW who then tries to commit suicide after finding out she's pregnant with his kid?
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by All Star Superman View Post
    The Dark Knight Returns and its sequels.
    DKR was fine. It's everything after it that was the problem.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    no disrespect but you don't think it's distasteful to superimpose you opinion over someone else's? he said it was one of the best WW runs and thats what he meant. no shade just let people enjoy things.
    But they used the emoji - universally understood symbol for "just kidding." It's just a clever way of stating their opposing opinion in a playful manner to say they "fixed" it. No shade, just let people enjoy things.

Truthfully, the worst DC comics I've ever read were probably ones I've completely forgotten because they were so by-the-numbers boring/ugly to look at. That'll happen when you've read over 20,000 comics.

Of the ones I can remember, I'll lump them into a couple of categories:

Technically Competent (or Even Stellar) Books Whose Stories Pissed Me Off
    Identity Crisis - I mean, it's gorgeous, and it has some genuinely emotional moments. But, um, no. Just no. Also, "She's crazy" is no a get-out-of-jail free card for your murder mystery making no sense.
    Emerald Twilight - Taken on its own, the execution of Hal's downfall, albeit rushed, was fine. But in the context of *everything* that when before, it was infuriating.

Stories that, No Two Ways About it, Are Just Atrocious
    Heroes in Crisis - Tom King is often good, and sometimes great. This story has puts all of his worst tendencies on display, combined with a big ol' pile of editorial meddling and rotating artists. Utter drek.
    Everything involved with Event: Leviathan - Do you know why Mark Shaw became Leviathan? Neither do I.
    Cry for Justice - As I've said before, this storyline actually makes you wonder who was *really* writing Starman all those years. It's fractally bad... every time you look at it from another angle, you find something worse.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    DKR was fine. It's everything after it that was the problem.
    I love DKSA...so expressive, so unique, such a heartwarming love letter to the golden age. I've also noticed that it is better enjoyed by people who either don't read comics or are unfamiliar with DC and DC lore
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Earth 2: Society by Wilson and Jimenez. The story was truly horrible and made Taylor's mess look less like the disaster that was. The art by Jimenez was pretty much a lot of weird angles and perspectives with a consistent dose of "what is that?"

I have stayed away from anything by those three since.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Mighty Member

Tim Drake: Robin

Dark Crisis Young Justice

Dark Crisis Young Justice especially for this:

https://twitter.com/orngejuicefan/st...82345034280961

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    I love DKSA...so expressive, so unique, such a heartwarming love letter to the golden age. I've also noticed that it is better enjoyed by people who either don't read comics or are unfamiliar with DC and DC lore
    Golden Age or Silver Age? Either way, as someone familiar with DC lore, I really enjoyed how off-the-wall and experimental it was. Not all of it landed with me, but as an Elseworlds, I loved that it was bonkers and didn't feel beholden to repeat the first one. It really was "Dark Knight Returns 2: Electric Boogaloo." I honestly think it might've been so ahead of its time, we're still not caught up with it yet. (I think once Batman goes into public domain we'll end up seeing so much crazy stuff that we'll go, "Hm, this kinda has the feel of DKSA.")

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    But they used the emoji - universally understood symbol for "just kidding." It's just a clever way of stating their opposing opinion in a playful manner to say they "fixed" it. No shade, just let people enjoy things.
    a joke in poor taste is still distasteful. if I insult your mother but shoot you a winky face when I do it, is that not still crossing a line? given the nature of this thread, it's important we not play in each other's faces like that, ya know? like I said, I meant no disrespect to the poster but I'm just saying that was a bit uncouth.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

a joke in poor taste is still distasteful. if I insult your mother but shoot you a winky face when I do it, is that not still crossing a line? given the nature of this thread, it's important we not play in each other's faces like that, ya know? like I said, I meant no disrespect to the poster but I'm just saying that was a bit uncouth.
    Yes. And my joyless direct response is: that's your opinion and I simply disagree that it was insulting, distasteful or uncouth. I saw it as playful and good-natured. Neither of us being moderators, it's just two people's opinions and it's fine that we disagree. We don't even know if Thomas Crown took offense and the response was directed at them.

New 52 Savage Hawkman maybe?

Or this single Batman issue:

25760-796-28624-1-batman.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    New 52 Savage Hawkman maybe?

Or this single Batman issue:

25760-796-28624-1-batman.jpg
    That looks normal.... for Batman.

Astonishing Member

no disrespect but you don't think it's distasteful to superimpose you opinion over someone else's? he said it was one of the best WW runs and thats what he meant. no shade just let people enjoy things.
    This.

Being a little more frank and forward, what Psy-lock did was disrespectful and plain tacky.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Nah. In contexts like that, folks be actually saying what they mean and meaning what they say. When used within said contexts, that emoji is just there as a "'Just Joking' Justification" to try and cover themselves.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 02-23-2024 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crown View Post
    Well, it's good to see someone here having the guts to finally acknowledge this. They killed off New 52 Superman like he was a D-list character and one of the best WW runs ever was retconned as an illusion/dream/hallucination/whatever. All this just to please gatekeepers and nostalgic fans. Shameful.
    On Wonder Woman, assuming you speak of the Azzarello run, what made that a great WONDER WOMAN run? Here I am asking how that run run served, celebrated or elevated the Wonder Woman design or character.

Azzarello is award winning scribe so that can not only write but write well is not questionable really. But did he celebrate the Wonder Woman IP as you understood it when he wrote that? That is what I am curious about.
    Last edited by Stanlos; 02-23-2024 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Is that the one where they all lose their powers and Batman is the only one who is fine while Superman becomes an alcoholic and Lois kicks him out and he shacks up with WW who then tries to commit suicide after finding out she's pregnant with his kid?
    ***shudder***
    And WW was suddenly a baptist bible thumper. It truly was a scat marathon.