Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Default How will the success of Ultimate Spider-Man (2024) impact the franchise?

We're barely two issues into the new Ultimate Spider-Man, but it's safe to say that it is a major hit in the comics market.

Now the question is... what changes will we see as a result of this book's success? What will its impact be on the Spider-Franchise as a whole? Will we see a film series about a middle-aged Peter Parker, who is already a husband and a father, becoming Spider-Man for the first time? Will we see Uncle Ben alive in any future adaptations? Will this further cement MJ as "the one" in the wider franchise?

What do you think?

About as much impact as Insomniac and the Spider-Verse movies which offer similar interpretations of Peter.

Mj is already cemented as "the one" in the wider franchise didnt need this book for that. Maybe the next spiderman film reboot will have spider-man already as an adult with kids or not.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Mj is already cemented as "the one" in the wider franchise didnt need this book for that.
    Someone tell that to Marvel Editorial.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    they know they just don't care
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Incredible Member

I could see Sony doing an animated movie. Based on how that single movie does would decide if they would commit to a series.

Live-action movie? No. Not under the current MCU and not in a separate movie universe. That would require too much setup for a live-action movie.

Live-action series? Maybe. An episodic series could potentially replicate what the current Ultimate series is doing. Not sure if the gamble would be worth the attempt. Especially while the current movie Spider-man is still a cash cow. Having 2 separate live-action Spider-men may actually hurt the franchise.

Comics? Marvel has found the perfect way to have both the Spider-man they want while providing a different take for those that want it. Doubt there will be any carryover between them beyond the re-interpretation of characters.

I don't think you can do too many adaptations where Uncle Ben is alive. You can do it, but I don't think a series can have a long run that way anymore than having a Batman with his parents alive. You lose more than you gain under those conditions. But Hickman is smart to do it as a swap - lose May and gain Ben - we'll see how it plays out.

MJ has got some superheroing to do with Black Cat. No time for her to be "the one" for anyone. Except Paul. LOL!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    They already know. She was never not portrayed as 'the one'. Even when they both date other people or when they don't get along the subtext has always been they are supposed to be together but can't be for reasons of dramatic tension.

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    I could see Sony doing an animated movie. Based on how that single movie does would decide if they would commit to a series.

Live-action movie? No. Not under the current MCU and not in a separate movie universe. That would require too much setup for a live-action movie.

Live-action series? Maybe. An episodic series could potentially replicate what the current Ultimate series is doing. Not sure if the gamble would be worth the attempt. Especially while the current movie Spider-man is still a cash cow. Having 2 separate live-action Spider-men may actually hurt the franchise.

Comics? Marvel has found the perfect way to have both the Spider-man they want while providing a different take for those that want it. Doubt there will be any carryover between them beyond the re-interpretation of characters.

I don't think you can do too many adaptations where Uncle Ben is alive. You can do it, but I don't think a series can have a long run that way anymore than having a Batman with his parents alive. You lose more than you gain under those conditions. But Hickman is smart to do it as a swap - lose May and gain Ben - we'll see how it plays out.

MJ has got some superheroing to do with Black Cat. No time for her to be "the one" for anyone. Except Paul. LOL!
    I just wish ASM was better written.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    they know they just don't care
    Luckily Sony doesn't seem to care what Marvel Editorial thinks, thus the vast majority of fans (the causals) get treated to Peter-MJ goodness. Sadly, we comic book fans the fanbase minority must suffer through supporting character/love interest of Jackpot, Paul. It's a hard-knock life as Dr. Evil once said lol.
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-20-2024 at 09:39 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Fantastic Member Hurricane Billy's Avatar

I suspect that the next time we see another live action reboot of Peter's Spider-Man, Sony will most likely be basing the project around this run.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Billy View Post
    I suspect that the next time we see another live action reboot of Peter's Spider-Man, Sony will most likely be basing the project around this run.
    If they instead use elements of the MJ Jackpot run but have her with Peter instead of the useless unlikable Paul, I'm okay with that. The backfire on ME's strategy would no doubt cause a glorious amount of publically displayed copium by those involved.

Edit - I know, I know, this is meanspirited but part of me would relish in such an occurrence, a cruel part of me.
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-20-2024 at 10:00 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Incredible Member

It's possible but far from likely.

I don't think this Ultimate universe will last as long as the first one and I don't see Hickman writing this book as long as Bendis.

If the run doesn't last long, I don't see there being a live action movie based on it (but a live action streaming series could work).

It's way too early to be sure.

The first issues are a hit, but we don't know where sales will settle a year into the run. Amazing Spider-Man also seems to be selling rather well, so Marvel wouldn't see that title as being in need of improvement.

I could see an animated film, but a live-action one is unlikely, unless they want some kind of reboot with an actor already playing the role.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    About as much impact as Insomniac and the Spider-Verse movies which offer similar interpretations of Peter.
    And Renew Your Vows before them.

History has kind of shown that when it comes to the mainline 616 Peter Parker, Marvel has pretty firmly dug in their heels with how they want character. If they were going to budge on it, Nick Spencer would've been able to follow through with his run.

As for Live Action Spider-Man movies. I think we're always going to get a Young Peter Parker because, again, that's one of things Marvel always pushes for. It's why all the animated Peter from Spectacular-onward has always had him as a teenager. I think the only way we get an adult married Peter in media is if the property is pretty explicitly not meant to be a "traditional" Spider-Man adaptation.
    Last edited by CrimsonEchidna; 02-21-2024 at 06:31 AM.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

We're only two issues in so you need to chill.

Also we've been through a lot of stories where Peter is older, married and has kids like Spider-Girl. The only new thing this Ultimate series brings to the table is that Ben Parker is still alive.
    "Cable was right!"