Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    Maybe we can even get "Spider-man Beyond", with Peter as the man in the chair!
    Why not?

“Spider-Man erased from the Web” Spider-Man arc showed a Peter in the chair is a hero regardless. And we also got some of that in Spider-Girl, which is still Marvel’s longest-running solo female title and thus proving it’s not a plot element that turns off audiences.
    “I always figured if I were a superhero, there’s no way on God's earth that I'm gonna pal around with some teenager."

— Stan Lee

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    Maybe we can even get "Spider-man Beyond", with Peter as the man in the chair!
    Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    Why not?

“Spider-Man erased from the Web” Spider-Man arc showed a Peter in the chair is a hero regardless. And we also got some of that in Spider-Girl, which is still Marvel’s longest-running solo female title and thus proving it’s not a plot element that turns off audiences.
    Exactly. Hell, could go with adapting Peter Parker's Hellfire Gala 2022 suit or Miles Morales's Brooklyn 2099 suit from Insomniac Games' Spider-Man 2 as the upgraded or updated Spider-Man suit in that scenario.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I would never want one of my favorite characters to be relegated to the most overdone and overblown role in Superhero stories.

At least with Spider-Girl he actually had his own job and occasionally chipped into Mayday's (when he wasn't suited up and personally involved) and not stuck in her ear 24/7.
    Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    One change I hope to see is Peter not being a punching bag anymore.
    Of course Ultimate Pete hasn't evolved past being a punching bag yet.
    This is what I expect the impact to be. For other parts of the franchise to realize there are new, fresh story paths to take that the audience will eat up.

USM proves that marriage, family, etc. is not the end point for Peter Parker, but instead is the start of a myriad of new story possibilities. This may hopefully carry over to the films, video games, etc - and in fact the Spider-Verse films seem to have influenced Hickman as he called USM "a bit of a Peter B Parker type situation" so maybe they will feed each other.

I'm excited that the Spider-Verse films and USM have the potential to influence an expansion of Peter's adventures and world beyond the constant "coming of age" hamster wheel. Because:

A) We have Miles, Spider-Gwen, Anya, Mayday, Annie, Bailey, etc for coming of age tales

B) "Coming of age" is a dead end for a serial franchise, anyway, because the ending defines the genre - the character comes of, y'know, age - so it should never be the definining genre for a serial property

C) Acknowledging Peter's story can grow beyond "coming of age" will allow Miles, Spider-Gwen, etc, to not be trapped on the same hamster wheel as Peter when their time comes to be of age
    I think the problem with using other characters to fulfill the "coming of age" story is that most writers are going to want to deal with the typical Spider-Man trappings and storylines that are unique to Peter and short of just giving those to other characters isn't something you can readily apply to someone else, or at least they haven't felt motivated to do that.

(Just like we've had writers try to make Miles distinct from Peter and give him his own lore/villains/characters etc. but hardly any of that has impacted his outside media adaptions. Even in Spider-Man 2 he was interacting with Peter characters).

I do wonder if more people would be open to adult married Spider-Man (or simply adult Spider-Man) than they would family man Spider-Man where you have to write with or around the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Exactly. Hell, could go with adapting Peter Parker's Hellfire Gala 2022 suit or Miles Morales's Brooklyn 2099 suit from Insomniac Games' Spider-Man 2 as the upgraded or updated Spider-Man suit in that scenario.
    Also include the robotic spider-arms for the suit, like in the games - for extra fire power against being outnumbered. Of course, Peter will be the one to design them as well as many other gadgets. Man, imagine him creating a "Beyond" version of a Spider Buggy.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Konnik92 View Post
    Also include the robotic spider-arms for the suit, like in the games - for extra fire power against being outnumbered. Of course, Peter will be the one to design them as well as many other gadgets. Man, imagine him creating a "Beyond" version of a Spider Buggy.
    Could just repaint the ANAD Parker Industries' Spider-Mobile. That was a sweet ride. I'd even take the Spider-Cycle from that period, with the Web-Jet for air support and reconnaissance.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I would never want one of my favorite characters to be relegated to the most overdone and overblown role in Superhero stories.

At least with Spider-Girl he actually had his own job and occasionally chipped into Mayday's (when he wasn't suited up and personally involved) and not stuck in her ear 24/7.
    I'd take a Pete in the chair over a Paul in the chair any day.

And for an AU or a Days of Future Past story, why not pass along his wisdom to the younger generation even if he can't suit up himself? The 616 comics will never get there but an animated series? Could be cool, why not?

I think the problem with using other characters to fulfill the "coming of age" story is that most writers are going to want to deal with the typical Spider-Man trappings and storylines that are unique to Peter and short of just giving those to other characters isn't something you can readily apply to someone else, or at least they haven't felt motivated to do that.

(Just like we've had writers try to make Miles distinct from Peter and give him his own lore/villains/characters etc. but hardly any of that has impacted his outside media adaptions. Even in Spider-Man 2 he was interacting with Peter characters).
    I'd argue that the theme of the Spider-Verse movies is Miles is his own Spider-Man and not beholden to the "canon" of another person, nor should he be forced into that canon. I'd also argue that the Spider-Man in Spider-Man 2 refers to Peter, so it's his cast. I haven't played Spider-Man: Miles Morales but it's my understanding Miles did have his own cast - including Ganke and Uncle Aaron - with a wholly new interpretation of the Tinkerer (gotta love Tinkerers!)

As for what writers might do: Sure, they might. Or they might not. That story hasn't been written yet.

If they keep forcing Miles or Gwen or Mayday or Anya or Annie or Bailey into Peter's paradigm, IMO that's a failure of the writer's imagination and nothing else. Each character should have their own individual story. But if Marvel is so set on importance of having a coming of age story - there are plenty of characters to put into those tropes.

I do wonder if more people would be open to adult married Spider-Man (or simply adult Spider-Man) than they would family man Spider-Man where you have to write with or around the kids.
    I just hope USM opens up the eyes of The Powers That Be to the rich horizons and fresh story avenues for an adult Peter Parker, with or without the marriage, with or without kids. The hamster wheel of "Spider-Man is about YOUTH" "Peter can never progress past a certain point" has never been more broken and creaky.
    “I always figured if I were a superhero, there’s no way on God's earth that I'm gonna pal around with some teenager."

— Stan Lee

I'd take a Pete in the chair over a Paul in the chair any day.

And for an AU or a Days of Future Past story, why not pass along his wisdom to the younger generation even if he can't suit up himself? The 616 comics will never get there but an animated series? Could be cool, why not?
    I'd take nobody in a chair, thanks .

It was bad enough when they had Doc Ock do it in the 2017 cartoon. Or made it a joke in Homecoming.

I think he can definitely play a mentor role. For a Spider-Girl show or, say, a Miles show you definitely need to find some way to take him out of the action but he can still do mentor stuff. Just don't put him in front of a computer or comm system.
    I'd argue that the theme of the Spider-Verse movies is Miles is his own Spider-Man and not beholden to the "canon" of another person, nor should he be forced into that canon. I'd also argue that the Spider-Man in Spider-Man 2 refers to Peter, so it's his cast. I haven't played Spider-Man: Miles Morales but it's my understanding Miles did have his own cast - including Ganke and Uncle Aaron - with a wholly new interpretation of the Tinkerer (gotta love Tinkerers!)

As for what writers might do: Sure, they might. Or they might not. That story hasn't been written yet.

If they keep forcing Miles or Gwen or Mayday or Anya or Annie or Bailey into Peter's paradigm, IMO that's a failure of the writer's imagination and nothing else. Each character should have their own individual story. But if Marvel is so set on importance of having a coming of age story - there are plenty of characters to put into those tropes.
    Yeah, but I feel like a Spider-Verse film is different than, say, an ongoing series.

It had the core Miles supporting characters of his mom, Ganke, and Aaron but that's about it. We did get an original love interest though.

People did not love the Tinkerer in Miles' game (or that might be my own bias) .

Even in the comics these characters have done riffs on stuff Peter has done. Just like how the cartoons always have to do their own take on the villains, the Black Suit Saga, the "Face it Tiger..." moment, etc.
    I just hope USM opens up the eyes of The Powers That Be to the rich horizons and fresh story avenues for an adult Peter Parker, with or without the marriage, with or without kids. The hamster wheel of "Spider-Man is about YOUTH" "Peter can never progress past a certain point" has never been more broken and creaky.
    Oh totally.

Astonishing Member

I think the problem with "Peter in the chair" in 616 is that it's essentially the same argument OMD is making, just with a different perspective. If 616 Peter retires between 30-40, you're still making the OMD argument that Spider-Man is about youth and that you can't have an older Spider-Man.

Also, to an extent, both "Spider-Man is about youth" and "Peter should retire and leave the role to Miles/Mayday" are narratives that come from corporate propaganda. It's that whole "young people should drop the hippie BS and get a real job once they're 30/married" thing that conservatives started spouting after the 60s.

Of course, an adaptation or AU is welcome to have Peter retire at any age. Although, even there, I feel like Hickman's USM and the Spider-Verse films (including NWH) are all pushing against that mindset. Ultimate and the recent movies are a game changer because they play a 35+ Peter still being Spider-Man as completely normal. I could be wrong about this, but I think Older Pete as Spider-Man is going to continue to become more normalized.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 03-03-2024 at 10:04 PM.

Spectacular Member 9AlphaOmega1's Avatar

I am promarriage because what it represented of Peter progressing, not staying the status quo or telling the same story over and over again. Also for the longest time I was in the camp Spider-man has to be Peter Parker, but over the years of the same villains there is really no new stories that had any excitement. I am for Peter to retire with MJ, the reason it did not work last time or lots backlash, was saying that Peter was the clone and Ben was not the clone. I also believe 1610 Spider-Man was popular because it was young Peter, and readers looking forward of him growing up. Now the new twist is what if Peter got the powers later in life, what would that be like. 6160 Peter is later on, everyone is older meaning certain villains is either too old which me new villains or different twist to villains.

Astonishing Member

I'd take nobody in a chair, thanks .

It was bad enough when they had Doc Ock do it in the 2017 cartoon. Or made it a joke in Homecoming.

I think he can definitely play a mentor role. For a Spider-Girl show or, say, a Miles show you definitely need to find some way to take him out of the action but he can still do mentor stuff. Just don't put him in front of a computer or comm system.

Yeah, but I feel like a Spider-Verse film is different than, say, an ongoing series.

It had the core Miles supporting characters of his mom, Ganke, and Aaron but that's about it. We did get an original love interest though.

People did not love the Tinkerer in Miles' game (or that might be my own bias) .

Even in the comics these characters have done riffs on stuff Peter has done. Just like how the cartoons always have to do their own take on the villains, the Black Suit Saga, the "Face it Tiger..." moment, etc.

Oh totally.
    I wish that Marvel would send Miles about to his own universe. He character in Marvel-616 could had easily gone to Anya Corazon. Anya and Parker could have had a great dynamic as her mentor. A lost opportunity to incorporate Anya in Parker's world.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by 9AlphaOmega1 View Post
    I am promarriage because what it represented of Peter progressing, not staying the status quo or telling the same story over and over again. Also for the longest time I was in the camp Spider-man has to be Peter Parker, but over the years of the same villains there is really no new stories that had any excitement. I am for Peter to retire with MJ, the reason it did not work last time or lots backlash, was saying that Peter was the clone and Ben was not the clone. I also believe 1610 Spider-Man was popular because it was young Peter, and readers looking forward of him growing up. Now the new twist is what if Peter got the powers later in life, what would that be like. 6160 Peter is later on, everyone is older meaning certain villains is either too old which me new villains or different twist to villains.
    Marvel should incorporate opponents like The Taskmaster and Mystique in the new series, as well as Lady Deathstrike...

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Why are some people trying to turn this around and discuss ASM? ASM does not matter in this thread. This thread is about Ultimate Spider-Man and what it means for the larger Spider-Man franchise as a whole, not just comics.
    If you are dicussing at large, I think it's too early for this have any effect on other spider-man media. I could see other content borrowing ideas like the villains or characterizations of characters in this book to use, but that'll be years down the line. Like others ahve said, we are literally 2 issues in..I can't imagine Marvel is completely doing a 360 because of this book.

I know you don't want to discuss ASM, but regardless of a lot of our opinions on the quality of the book, it is still a huge saler. Is it just becaue of the name and not the actual contents of the book? Probably. But regardless, the book is selling well and there is no real incentive for Marvel to prioritize USM over ASM yet.

One thing I hope doesn't have an impact is the Green Goblin suit.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I can't imagine Marvel is completely doing a 360 because of this book.
    Heh.

Mighty Member

One thing I hope doesn't have an impact is the Green Goblin suit.
    I prefer it over hulk Goblin of the original Ultimate, but I'm hoping it's just a proto suit that's meant to not look overtly Gobliny.