Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I think Madame Web might have been intended to set up a new non-MCU Peter, as Ben Parker is in the film. I haven't actually seen it, but I heard that Mary appears too, and is pregnant? Thus, Peter is about to be born - 21 years ago. That means a new rebooted Peter would be in college at least. Madame Web's failure might force them to pivot though. If Holland quits, they should just do MCU Miles.
    Yeah, you'd be right on what you heard there, at least in terms of a younger uncle-to-be Ben Parker and his sister-in-law Mary. The name of her child is never given, mostly because we all know who it is (supposed to be).
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I think Madame Web might have been intended to set up a new non-MCU Peter, as Ben Parker is in the film. I haven't actually seen it, but I heard that Mary appears too, and is pregnant? Thus, Peter is about to be born - 21 years ago. That means a new rebooted Peter would be in college at least. Madame Web's failure might force them to pivot though. If Holland quits, they should just do MCU Miles.
    In terms of timeline, this could be meant to be the MCU Peter.

Technically he was supposed to be born in 2001, but producers might not want the specter of September 11.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    I mean, they kinda are. They're doing the variant cover thing.

I don't know if there is anything unusual about them not course correcting yet. We know the comics industry needs about six months-ish to respond because of how much is planned in advance. I imagine it would also take a while to find a new writer, so Wells still being on the book is no dufferent from when Mackie continued to be on the book for a few more months.
    Multiple people working at Marvel have said that Amazing Spider-Man is one of their best selling titles. It consistently ranks high on ComicHub sales rankings as well. It's a topic that's been covered here dozens of times.

People on this forum only doubt ASM's success because they don't like it. Nobody here is doubting USM's success, because they do like it. Nobody is concocting conspiracies about Ultimate Spider-Man #1's 18 different covers.

Let's not try to make sense of Madame Web.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post

People on this forum only doubt ASM's success because they don't like it. Nobody here is doubting USM's success, because they do like it.
    This amuses me more than it should.

But, yes, I very much like the new USM, and I very much dislike current ASM. That's hardly a sentiment exclusive to these boards, however, as I have quickly discovered.

I don't doubt ASM sells. It's Spider-Man.

But I'm not hearing comic store owners tell me that ASM is bringing in new and lapsed readers in droves like USM is doing, outselling all their other titles including juggernauts like Batman. People DO like USM, so I can only hope that trend continues.
    Last edited by Garlador; 03-02-2024 at 08:08 AM.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post

But, yes, I very much like the new USM, and I very much dislike current ASM. That's hardly a sentiment exclusive to these boards, however, as I have quickly discovered.

But I'm not hearing comic store owners tell me that ASM is bringing in new and lapsed readers in droves like USM is doing, outselling all their other titles including juggernauts like Batman. People DO like USM, so I can only hope that trend continues.
    Another is you do not see articles about ASM selling well or shop's not able to keep stock.. ASM can't even sell and has been labeled as Walmart dollar bin material. The last time it got second printing was due to trying to hype up a backup story for a failed wedding story
    There's no actual sales data to say ASM, spider boy or superior are selling well or on the verge of cancellation

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    Another is you do not see articles about ASM selling well or shop's not able to keep stock.. ASM can't even sell and has been labeled as Walmart dollar bin material. The last time it got second printing was due to trying to hype up a backup story for a failed wedding story
    There's no actual sales data to say ASM, spider boy or superior are selling well or on the verge of cancellation
    There is data, but it's covered before that there are multiple factors at play. As I said, I'm sure ASM sells.

Ultimately, as a reader, that remains very far down the totem pole of my interests. I cannot control sales data, only my own spending and reading habits, and encouraging others to check out good books and avoid ones I dislike.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post

In fairness Ultimate is also a new book in a new line of continuity (not necesarilly new reader friendly per se, but still) while ASM has been trucking along since 2022. It's no surprise it's not bringing in new or lapsed readers. They'd probably save that for the inevitable relaunch when Wells is done.

Astonishing Member

Marvel staff have said that Amazing Spider-Man is one of their best sellers. The monthly ComicHub rankings support this.

Sometimes things you dislike are successful.

Marvel staff have said that Amazing Spider-Man is one of their best sellers. The monthly ComicHub rankings support this.

So do you think people won't look at Hickman's USM as an inspiration for a future Spider-Man adaptation?

Which marvel staffers have said this recently? and that's not an accurate measure to use because of the marginal accuracy of the data. You're basically promoting a he says and she says statement that is no better than a 4chan post

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    So do you think people won't look at Hickman's USM as an inspiration for a future Spider-Man adaptation?
    Of course it may be looked at as an inspiration in the future but can’t we at least get a couple of story arcs under the belt before the trigger is pulled on an adaptation?

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    Of course it may be looked at as an inspiration in the future but can’t we at least get a couple of story arcs under the belt before the trigger is pulled on an adaptation?
    That's only if it makes it far enough before it's cancelled

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    They're not going to start making a movie inspired by Hickman's USM tomorrow.

Astonishing Member

Which marvel staffers have said this recently? and that's not an accurate measure to use because of the marginal accuracy of the data. You're basically promoting a he says and she says statement that is no better than a 4chan post
    https://tombrevoort.substack.com/p/71-sea-change

Tom Brevoort said "month after month, it continues to be our best-selling regular title".

He works for Marvel. He sees the sales figures. He knows what he's talking about.