Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What are the Marvel equivalents to S.T.A.R. Labs

I really don’t think there’s any one answer here.

S.T.A.R. Labs is DC’s go to science place that can show up in any book as needed, features in various origin stories, and where any number of obscure characters can be said to have worked or be working.

Marvel kind of has that spread out over various agencies and companies; just wanting to see if how many are out there I may not have heard of.

I remember Project Pegasus was a lot like S.T.A.R. Labs back in the day (they were really important in the Marvel Two in One book)…

…but you dont really hear much from them any more.

usually the science places in Marvel are used for evil: Department H, A.I.M. research, Roxxon, Beyond Corporation, etc.

S.H.I.E.L.D. covers a lot of that. It's less scientific based, but you can do a lot of the same plotlines.

Ultimate Member

Yeah, it definitely was Project Pegasus back in the day, but that's ancient history, it seems.

Heh, remember when Stark sold a bunch of Guardsman armors to Project Pegasus, and then flipped out during Armor Wars, broke into a government facility, and beat up their security and destroyed a bunch of *other* stuff in the process of disabling those Guardsman suits he'd *sold them?* Good times!

BANNED

At this point, I suggest that Orchis be added to the current think tank list.

Extraordinary Member

Project P.E.G.A.S.U.S.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Don't most people go to Tony Stark or Reed Richards? So Stark Industries and Fantastic Four Inc.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    usually the science places in Marvel are used for evil: Department H, A.I.M. research, Roxxon, Beyond Corporation, etc.
    ^^^Yeah i was thinking that as I made this thread!
    And lord knows S.T.A.R. Labs has had some evil stuff go on at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    S.H.I.E.L.D. covers a lot of that. It's less scientific based, but you can do a lot of the same plotlines.
    ^^^Very true. I miss those guys/that organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Don't most people go to Tony Stark or Reed Richards? So Stark Industries and Fantastic Four Inc.
    This^

In Marvel, most heroic scientific stuff is done by Tony Stark and Reed Richards. Since there are multiple super-genius types in Marvel, there just isn't much call for a S.T.A.R. Labs type organization. Even if one gets created here and there, they mostly fall off the map fairly quickly, because Stark and Richards are RIGHT THERE, and might give a book a bit of a guest-star bump by using them.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    This^

In Marvel, most heroic scientific stuff is done by Tony Stark and Reed Richards. Since there are multiple super-genius types in Marvel, there just isn't much call for a S.T.A.R. Labs type organization. Even if one gets created here and there, they mostly fall off the map fairly quickly, because Stark and Richards are RIGHT THERE, and might give a book a bit of a guest-star bump by using them.
    ^^^Which is why I wanted to see how many of them there were!

P.E.G.A.S.U.S. were still around as of the 2007 Nova run, in which they were a pretty big part of the plot (Rich's brother Robbie was working for them before he became a Nova as well)...

my guess is they aren't used as much recently, because they had become more associated with "toxic" properties like New Warriors

another factor could also be the pre Noh-Varr Marvel Boy, who looked like Quasar and worked for Pegasus, was revamped/retconned/whatever as The Uranian, when Agents of ATLAS were initially revived

speaking of A.T.L.A.S., there's another org who could probably be on the list. they definitely had their hands on some decent tech, as well as some mystic assets, I think

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

SHIELD or SWORD since both dealt with tech and aliens.

Also if those don't fit the bill then definitely Da Vinci's Brother Hood of The SHIELD

Quote Originally Posted by Aarkus View Post
    P.E.G.A.S.U.S. were still around as of the 2007 Nova run, in which they were a pretty big part of the plot (Rich's brother Robbie was working for them before he became a Nova as well)...

my guess is they aren't used as much recently, because they had become more associated with "toxic" properties like New Warriors
    Wasn't Pegasus used in the recent Avengers run?

Anyway, Project Pegasus is not the place heroes go to when they need science stuff,. It's the place where heores go when "oh no, Pegasus Project created a cosmic cube and Thanos is going to steal it", "oh no, Project Pegasus's latest experiment has gone horribly wrong and we must fix it or the world is doomed".
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Quote Originally Posted by Aarkus View Post

another factor could also be the pre Noh-Varr Marvel Boy, who looked like Quasar and worked for Pegasus, was revamped/retconned/whatever as The Uranian, when Agents of ATLAS were initially revived

speaking of A.T.L.A.S., there's another org who could probably be on the list. they definitely had their hands on some decent tech, as well as some mystic assets, I think
    ^^^I'd forgotten about the Uranian connection!

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    Wasn't Pegasus used in the recent Avengers run?

Anyway, Project Pegasus is not the place heroes go to when they need science stuff,. It's the place where heores go when "oh no, Pegasus Project created a cosmic cube and Thanos is going to steal it", "oh no, Project Pegasus's latest experiment has gone horribly wrong and we must fix it or the world is doomed".
    ^^^S.T.A.R. Labs fits the latter part of your description too!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    Heh, that's true. Project Pegasus wasn't the place where solutions were found, it was were problems (in need of super-solutions!) started.

A much more narratively important role!