Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Ultimate Spider-Man #2 talk.

I enjoyed this issue though admittedly not as much as the first.

spoilers:
    Peter Parker trying to get a grip of his powers, going at it with the Shocker, the relationship between Uncle Ben and JJJ. Didn't like how May is the first to discover who Peter is and making it our little secret. However it will lead to the red and blues. My favourite part of the issue was the Kingpin.
    end of spoilers

So glad we've got this book.
    Last edited by Batman Begins 2005; 02-21-2024 at 09:07 AM.

So Peter is still a photographer.

I admit it, I giggled a little

spoilers:
    at the One More Day reference snuck in there
    end of spoilers
    harryosborn.net -Me rereading every single comic that has Harry Osborn in it, and also writing some articles.

I definitely enjoyed this issue and especially loved the moments with Ben/JJJ.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

Not as good as the first issue but that has probably to do with all the speculation and possibilities that goes with first issues. Now we are answering some of the questions and then we lose some appeal. For me part of that appeal lost is how MJ is kept in the dark. She is not a partner in this, at least not yet. So a retread of the original secret identity plot but that was a retread I was happy to skip.

So it had to little MJ but I liked the Peter and May scene.

Rest was ok. Plausible fist baddie. Ben and JJ being shown but no scene from the Bugle since they left.

Still miles better the ASM. This feels coherent and Hickman is getting better at making it feel more down to earth, more humane.
    Last edited by Malachi; 02-21-2024 at 10:18 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by PanicPixieDreamGirl View Post
    I admit it, I giggled a little

spoilers:
    at the One More Day reference snuck in there
    end of spoilers
    Yeah, I caught that too. Made me laugh my head off. Can't speak to any other shops, but when I dropped into pick up my copy (at 10:30) the owner told me I was smart to put it on my pull list because all the copies he put on the stands were already gone. Glad I also reserved Spec. Spider-Man. There are still more than a few copies of months old Amazing's still on the stands for comparison.

I'm kind of surprised he hasn't outright told MJ what's going on. How much does she know at this point? And what is her job?

I do like that they're acknowledging the learning curve that Peter doesn't have the time or the youthful energy that let him be more natural with his powers back in the day so he's basically trying to speedrun being Spider-Man at a later age with none of the experience.

I never expected to see J. Jonah Jameson and Ben Parker in a sauna together discussing current events but I'm here for it. Also funny that they're only interest in Spider-Man is seeing him as a cover for what the Green Goblin is doing to Kingpin.

It's interesting how some things change but other things don't...like Peter still taking pictures of Spider-Man for the Bugle.

Even as a later-age Spider-Man Peter still won't shut up, but his humor feels more laidback and casual compared to 616 Spidey, which fits his personality here more.

All those issues of OG!Ultimate Shocker being treated like a joke and here here's jacked as @#$% and beats Spidey twice. I guess it didn't help that Peter was so gullible, but this is his first time.

So his daughter is the first to find out! And she gives him the inspiration for his traditional suit! Cute. Hopefully with a new suit comes his first real win as a hero.

Ultimate Member

spoilers:
    Please protect May Parker at all costs. As a father to a little girl myself, that picture at the end got me in the feels. Peter getting clowned by Shocker over and over again was hilarious. True novice stuff.
    end of spoilers

I actually preferred this issue to the first one.

I loved this one. It feels different from the 616 universe but you can feel the "spirit" of Spider-man in it.

spoilers:
    There’s an interesting parallel between Peter and Harry here. Harry tries and fails to kill Fisk repeatedly, while Peter tries and fails to stop Shocker repeatedly. Poor Peter ends up in the dumpster twice, and then May finds out he’s Spider-Man when she walks in on him in the costume eating ice cream. I love that Hickman seems to be setting up Mayday to be the one to help design Peter’s red and blue look. We might get a moment where Peter brags that his daughter helped design his costume like how Superman tells a kid his mom helped designed his costume in For All Seasons. Ben and Jonah remain a hilarious duo, and Richard/May are well on their way to being that too with their shenanigans during MJ/Peter’s text chat. We get a nod to the Maker plotline with Captain Britain showing up and berating Fisk.

I did laugh at Peter getting his ass kicked twice by Shocker. Definitely a more naive Peter than we’re used to seeing. It’s a good issue but if I have one criticism it’s that not a lot happened. Think the issue would have been stronger if instead of us seeing Jonah and Ben in a sauna talking about what Harry is doing, we actually saw Harry make his attempts to kill Fisk. I’m guessing Hickman structured it like that so Checchetto could actually get the issue done on time, given we’re already slated to have guest artists come in.
    end of spoilers

That said it is pretty much the perfect rebuttal to the common criticism of Hickman that he’s all plot and no character. This issue is nothing but character.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

I don't think Peter has spider-sense. He is then gonna have to use instinct, knowledge and gut feelings instead in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    I don't think Peter has spider-sense. He is then gonna have to use instinct, knowledge and gut feelings instead in the future.
    Now that you mention it, if he had Spider-Sense he would've registered Shocker was planning to attack him both times.

More evidence for my theory regarding MJ:

spoilers:
    We see that Fisk is a sub boss for the Maker’s Council and that he’s in the know. So the Maker’s Council does have deputies that they charge with running portions of their zones. After Fisk falls, I bet we’re going to see a scramble for his turf, and I bet we will come down to a choice between Harry and MJ. MJ is a business owner, it makes sense that a technocrat run territory might see her as a potential recruit. I bet we get a scene where MJ and/or Harry get a villainous parallel offer to Tony’s offer to Peter. MJ would likely refuse while Harry accepts.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    Yeah I noticed that too. What’s not clear is does he have organic webshooters or mechanical ones integrated into his suit? Be an interesting trade off that he has no spider sense in exchange for organic webbing.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

Damn, Shocker encounters were hilarious.
    This book is so good so far.

Fantastic Member

Really enjoyed this. Didn't have the fist pump moments of the first issue but I enjoyed getting Peter's internal narration a lot

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    That said it is pretty much the perfect rebuttal to the common criticism of Hickman that he’s all plot and no character. This issue is nothing but character.
    Yup, it's been 2 for 2 of me being surprised at the restraint Hickman has showed in terms of his bigger plot. We get 1 page of Captain Britain and that's it, and even that is there to serve as a Kingpin's character moment of sorts. I wanted to see Hickman try new **** and so far I'm happily surprised at what he's been able to pull off.