Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Anecdotal. But I had to drive to 3 stores to get a copy today. And the last place only had a few copies left. This was at 12pm EST

Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    Anecdotal. But I had to drive to 3 stores to get a copy today. And the last place only had a few copies left. This was at 12pm EST
    My store still had 3 copies but I took the last main one.

Anyway a fun issue. That last line... marvel knows lol. They know what they're doing.

Peter pretty much gets his ass kicked all day in this issue but I've never minded him taking some beatings and I hope he continues too for a lil bit.

The JJ stuff went nowhere, don't know why they even bothered including that.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Toonstrack View Post

Anyway a fun issue. That last line... marvel knows lol. They know what they're doing.

Peter pretty much gets his ass kicked all day in this issue but I've never minded him taking some beatings and I hope he continues too for a lil bit.

In the OG Ultimate Spider-man, Bendis was known for having long conversation scenes between characters.

Hickman may be continuing that for his run.

The Jonah and Ben stuff is a slow burn. It's not gonna pay off for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    The Jonah and Ben stuff is a slow burn. It's not gonna pay off for awhile.
    Yeah, the JJJ and Ben stuff seems to be tightly connected to the council and, potentially, the larger 6160-universe plot. So, it wont be resolved for a loooong while (except for the Green Goblin stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    spoilers:
    There’s an interesting parallel between Peter and Harry here. Harry tries and fails to kill Fisk repeatedly, while Peter tries and fails to stop Shocker repeatedly. Poor Peter ends up in the dumpster twice, and then May finds out he’s Spider-Man when she walks in on him in the costume eating ice cream. I love that Hickman seems to be setting up Mayday to be the one to help design Peter’s red and blue look. We might get a moment where Peter brags that his daughter helped design his costume like how Superman tells a kid his mom helped designed his costume in For All Seasons. Ben and Jonah remain a hilarious duo, and Richard/May are well on their way to being that too with their shenanigans during MJ/Peter’s text chat. We get a nod to the Maker plotline with Captain Britain showing up and berating Fisk.

I did laugh at Peter getting his ass kicked twice by Shocker. Definitely a more naive Peter than we’re used to seeing. It’s a good issue but if I have one criticism it’s that not a lot happened. Think the issue would have been stronger if instead of us seeing Jonah and Ben in a sauna talking about what Harry is doing, we actually saw Harry make his attempts to kill Fisk. I’m guessing Hickman structured it like that so Checchetto could actually get the issue done on time, given we’re already slated to have guest artists come in.
    end of spoilers

That said it is pretty much the perfect rebuttal to the common criticism of Hickman that he’s all plot and no character. This issue is nothing but character.
    To be fair that criticism often comes with the addition that when he writes characters he tends to go for a certain archetypes. The aloof scientist, the alpha leader, the distand god. In that similair vein.

In this issue we see him being very comfortable with Fisk, Ben and JJ. With Peter he is trying to find his voice, tryign to nail down the less cerebral qualities of Peter. That's why my favorite scene was the one with May. It's not perfect but it's a good step in the right direction. That's why the family aspect is the one that intrigues me the most. That and the humour. The rest I'm sort of taking for granted that Hickman will deliver on.

Writing this made me realise what a perfect match Hickman would be for a Spider-man 2099 series. Damn he could probably write an awesome Miguel and he would be a near perfect fit for the 2099 world.

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    In the OG Ultimate Spider-man, Bendis was known for having long conversation scenes between characters.

Hickman may be continuing that for his run.

I loved them in issue one but they delivered no information that we couldn't have gotten from the kingpin scene having another page. It was fine as a scene and execution just narratively pointless

Quote Originally Posted by Toonstrack View Post

I think the real test will be whether it keeps happening as frequently as in Wells' run. I don't think Hickman will write Peter like that.

Fantastic Member

It really is telling how the other spider-books are just more fun, in general, than the mainline book. Thanks Wells...

Incredible Member

Who was the third guy in the room during the Kingpin meeting? Bald guy with an eye patch.

The most surprising thing about this series so far is how much I want to see more Jonah. I've never been a Jonah guy before.

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    Who was the third guy in the room during the Kingpin meeting? Bald guy with an eye patch.

The most surprising thing about this series so far is how much I want to see more Jonah. I've never been a Jonah guy before.
    Ultimate Bullseye
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

agree on another awesome issue. Not as good as #1, but still a great read. Wish this shipped twice a month instead of ASM. lol

BANNED

I thought it was good, but I still feel like I don't totally know who this version of Peter is. It stands to reason he'd be fairly different from ours, considering his formative experiences are so drastically different, but so far I haven't been able to "get" who he is yet. It's not a flaw, necessarily, but even if he feels some level of dissatisfaction with his life, I feel like not many adult family men would take the word of an alleged terrorist, mess with their own genetics and go out to fight crime/train to be a potential revolutionary. It seems like a huge leap. And I still don't get this Peter's motives beyond "I want something more from my life." So do I, but I don't think my first instinct would be to sneak out at night to punch bank robbers.

I guess I just hope Hickman eventually delves into what drives this version of Peter, what makes him tick. And I hope he has some significant differences as a person from 616 Peter, because there's no way that, without Ben's murder and the guilt he felt over it, having his parents alive later into his life, not having to carry all the trauma and loss he endured as Spider-Man, there's just no way he'd be the same person we know. Some things would be similar, but this guy had a totally different childhood and adolescence with drastically different experiences. It seems both unrealistic and like a missed opportunity to not explore that.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I guess I just hope Hickman eventually delves into what drives this version of Peter, what makes him tick.
    I agree with this - definitely needs a stronger motivation in what drives him to this.

I would think that would be established as part of this first arc, so by issue 6 would expect the motivation to be known.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

I loved it. Hickman's writing is solid and Checchetto's artwork is magnificent as always. For my anecdotal, by the time I got to my LCS, they only had two copies left (a regular and the 1:25 variant) so I wasn't able to snag the Elizabeth Torque variant, oh well. I did manage to nab the Mayday '97 variant of Edge of Spider-Verse though!
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker