Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kurus View Post
    Whole new universe, for all we know shocker could be top tier.
    He did beat Spidey two times .

I've been busy, but I still have so much I want to say about this series, and both current issues.

The short of it, I'm incredibly happy and pleased so far. And that's a very good feeling I want to last a very long time.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SplinteringHeart View Post
    I was disappointed with the way May finding out that Pete was the Spider-Man played out...

Considering she's a child ( aged I guess about 8-10, maybe younger?) and it was stated that she was scared of Spidey, she took it all too easy, when Pete said "hey it's me, Dad"...I mean, a child would have a million questions and want far more comfort and reassurance...foremost in her mind would be "what are you, what are these powers, why are you doing this?" That did not come across..May seemed all just "oh it's you, ok, but I don't like the costume".and pass the ice cream...

I know this is not real life, and belief has to be suspended, but May was too cool about the situation, for a scared child..and considering this is her Dad...
    I read May as being much younger. Like 4-6 maybe? She comes off as a pretty young child.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Fair points there, though I have somewhat more faith that those will be answered and explored as this series continues. With how successful it's been thus far in winning over critics and fans alike, that's almost a fait accompli.

Yeah, Hickman would be perfect for a more explicitly cyberpunk-style story where the world is secretly (or openly) divvied up between megacorps that have turned entire nations into their personal fiefdoms, since that's not very far off from the status quo he's established in this new Ultimate Universe.
    I hope so, but one of the things about Hickman's X-Men that turned me off was how many questions weren't answered because Hickman was more interested in the big concept, rather than how it made logistical or character sense. That's one of his big weakness as a writer for me. He's really good at writing certain things, but his character work can be iffy and he has a tendency to not bother delving into things he has no personal interest in.

I'm not trying to down on him or the series, as I'm a fan of both. I'm just hoping he doesn't shrug off all of the implications for Peter's characterization.

I think one of the best things about this version is that Peter is a bit naive and doesn't quip quite as much, but it's still undeniable that he's Spider-Man. Like 616 and 1610 Peter started as teenagers. The "quipping because scared" thing would seem natural as a teen and they just got used to it. THIS Peter is a grown ass adult and his style matches that.

In other word, he's not a manchild.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    I don't think Peter has spider-sense. He is then gonna have to use instinct, knowledge and gut feelings instead in the future.
    I mentioned this in the other thread, but it took the first Ultimate Peter quite a few issues before he realized that buzzing in his head was a warning sense. So it's possible that he has yet to figure it out.

Also, he notices that he can take quite a beating already, so it's possible that he's not noticing the buzzing because he's not being threatened enough.

Considering she's a child ( aged I guess about 8-10, maybe younger?) and it was stated that she was scared of Spidey, she took it all too easy, when Pete said "hey it's me, Dad"...I mean, a child would have a million questions and want far more comfort and reassurance...foremost in her mind would be "what are you, what are these powers, why are you doing this?" That did not come across..May seemed all just "oh it's you, ok, but I don't like the costume".and pass the ice cream...

I know this is not real life, and belief has to be suspended, but May was too cool about the situation, for a scared child..and considering this is her Dad...
    I have an eight year old daughter and I didn't find the scene implausible at all. In particular, I disagree that she would necessarily have questions. Children can be interested and curious about almost everything - with the one exception of what their parents get up to when it doesn't directly affect their relationship.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Quote Originally Posted by Aura Blaize View Post
    I think one of the best things about this version is that Peter is a bit naive and doesn't quip quite as much, but it's still undeniable that he's Spider-Man. Like 616 and 1610 Peter started as teenagers. The "quipping because scared" thing would seem natural as a teen and they just got used to it. THIS Peter is a grown ass adult and his style matches that.

In other word, he's not a manchild.

I mentioned this in the other thread, but it took the first Ultimate Peter quite a few issues before he realized that buzzing in his head was a warning sense. So it's possible that he has yet to figure it out.

Also, he notices that he can take quite a beating already, so it's possible that he's not noticing the buzzing because he's not being threatened enough.
    He feels less scrappy than 616 Peter. I also don't think he's quite got the passion for it yet even if he thinks this is what he should be doing (he still needed a pick-me-up from his daughter to keep at it).

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I read May as being much younger. Like 4-6 maybe? She comes off as a pretty young child.
    Yeah, I'm still not sure of her age, but if you're right I'd say that adds to the points I make...cheers

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    I have an eight year old daughter and I didn't find the scene implausible at all. In particular, I disagree that she would necessarily have questions. Children can be interested and curious about almost everything - with the one exception of what their parents get up to when it doesn't directly affect their relationship.
    Sorry, I disagree with your point that a child wouldn't necessarily have questions...and the biggest question would be how does this affect my relationship with my father, in this case...that was brushed over....whether discussed or not, whatever happens and affects the parent(s), affects the child.....I'm still not sure how old May is meant to be, seems anywhere between 4 and 10...a young child whose parents/family are first and foremost to her...

Fantastic Member

Sorry, I disagree with your point that a child wouldn't necessarily have questions...and the biggest question would be how does this affect my relationship with my father, in this case...that was brushed over....whether discussed or not, whatever happens and affects the parent(s), affects the child.....I'm still not sure how old May is meant to be, seems anywhere between 4 and 10...a young child whose parents/family are first and foremost to her...
    I dunno man, she's still at the age(or maturity) to str8 up believe unicorns are real, let alone believing her beloved father when he talks about magic spiders and powers and has tangible proof of it. But above everything, younger children WANT to believe their parents, especially when it comes to something that seems to be a big serious grown-up secret, besides the fact that it would be a precious secret not even her mother was confided with.

I dunno, i didn't get the same hang-up, but it's nice that the debate has mostly been around such subjective perceptions of the character's mannerisms and not if it is or not the worst run of all time lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Tapioca Blitzkrieg View Post
    I dunno, i didn't get the same hang-up, but it's nice that the debate has mostly been around such subjective perceptions of the character's mannerisms and not if it is or not the worst run of all time lmao
    It's the first, and only, run of the new Ultimate Spider-Man. There's nothing to discuss.

It is the worst run of all time.

Also the best.

This series is something special.

and the biggest question would be how does this affect my relationship with my father, in this case...that was brushed over....
    As far as I know, if there's a strong relationship there anyway children that age are easily reassured that it will continue to be strong.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ubauba01 View Post
    Feel like the series tries to be too inoffensive.

The characters feel robotic. They just say their lines when it is their time and then wait for their next scene (with maybe the exception of Shocker). They almost feel like they are just reading lines from a script, not conveying much emotion. It could also be an issue with art, particularly regarding facial expressions and body language. Though I believe it has more to do with the script itself.

I'm not trying to be a contrarian, just giving my two cents.

This probably should have been a graphic novel of some sorts instead of an issue a month. It feels like one of those series that would flow better when the issues are read back to back.
    Yeah, I do agree at this point, a lot of these things should be marketed and sold as complete graphic novels rather than one (relatively short) chapter a month for nearly $5 a pop.

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I hope so, but one of the things about Hickman's X-Men that turned me off was how many questions weren't answered because Hickman was more interested in the big concept, rather than how it made logistical or character sense. That's one of his big weakness as a writer for me. He's really good at writing certain things, but his character work can be iffy and he has a tendency to not bother delving into things he has no personal interest in.

I'm not trying to down on him or the series, as I'm a fan of both. I'm just hoping he doesn't shrug off all of the implications for Peter's characterization.
    Understandable.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    This series is something special.
    I think it's solid.