Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Default The Last Galactus Story

A billion years ago (or what it feels like but really sometime in 1984) John Byrne and Terry Austin started what some consider to be one of the most compelling Marvel stories ever written...The Last Galactus Story. For those who do not know, it was serialized in Marvel's anthology magazine Epic Illustrated. The serialization began in EI #26 under a gorgeous Bill Sienkiewicz cover and continued until the magazine's cancelation with issue 34 with only nine chapters of the story having been printed.
    The story is set during the time that Frankie Raye, Nova was his herald and begins with a big bang that set forth the Marvel Universe and continues to it's cliffhanger detailing how Frankie stumbled upon a dead world. In the story we are given the origin per se it appears of Galactus as well as what was planned as his demise and what would have happened next. (According to what I read it would have been big things for Frankie Raye, which wouldn't have been a big surprise as she seems to be one of Byrne's favorite characters he created at the time.)
    I've only seen scans online of pages and it does feature Burne and Austin at their best on art and it is all quite excellent. Forty years later, the story still has not been finished although on his website, Byrne gave a synopsis of how it would end. It's a shame Marvel never allowed Byrne to finish the story in print for a collected edition.

584023.jpg images.jpg

EpicIllustrated26-44.jpg.ce1e3c5514c92524d170239616e4f14a.jpg
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski

An outdated story, written at a time when people thought that existence would be having cycles of big bangs and big crunchs. Sadly, that's not what will happen. Check this video to see the final fate of the universe.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    A billion years ago (or what it feels like but really sometime in 1984) John Byrne and Terry Austin started what some consider to be one of the most compelling Marvel stories ever written...The Last Galactus Story. For those who do not know, it was serialized in Marvel's anthology magazine Epic Illustrated. The serialization began in EI #26 under a gorgeous Bill Sienkiewicz cover and continued until the magazine's cancelation with issue 34 with only nine chapters of the story having been printed.
    The story is set during the time that Frankie Raye, Nova was his herald and begins with a big bang that set forth the Marvel Universe and continues to it's cliffhanger detailing how Frankie stumbled upon a dead world. In the story we are given the origin per se it appears of Galactus as well as what was planned as his demise and what would have happened next. (According to what I read it would have been big things for Frankie Raye, which wouldn't have been a big surprise as she seems to be one of Byrne's favorite characters he created at the time.)
    I've only seen scans online of pages and it does feature Burne and Austin at their best on art and it is all quite excellent. Forty years later, the story still has not been finished although on his website, Byrne gave a synopsis of how it would end. It's a shame Marvel never allowed Byrne to finish the story in print for a collected edition.

584023.jpg images.jpg

The synopsis finale is in various collected editions, but yeah, a fun little story. Waid's History of the Marvel Universe has a similar ending, but it's someone different with Big G at the end
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

BANNED

I have the entire Epic Illustrated collection but never read any of them. Now, I have a reason to dig through the 'ol long boxes and read The Last Galactus Story, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    An outdated story, written at a time when people thought that existence would be having cycles of big bangs and big crunchs. Sadly, that's not what will happen. Check this video to see the final fate of the universe.

Next you're gonna tell me ultimate nullifiers aren't real either
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

BANNED

Umm... I believe there is only one Ultimate Nullifier

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post

584023.jpg images.jpg

I love this story, which is why I was pleasantly surprised to see this particular future revisited in the Silver Surfer: Legacy: Rebirth flashback mini-series.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

^^^The majority might not agree, but it was a nice callback...

"Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."